Re: [z_scale] Road width question

  • bjkronen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
      Manfred, Reynard and the group:

      First, Happy New Year.

      Second:

      > Reynard Wellman wrote:
      > > To be to scale an LED would have to be a maximum
      > > of .5mm Dia. for Z scale.

      > Manfred wrote:
      > I didn't realize that the lights would have to be so small. That makes

      Here's where the state of the art in N scale appears to be:

      Hobbyist:
      http://members.iinet.net.au/~advance1/Nscale_traffic_lights.html

      Commercial Products:
      http://catalog.com/webrun/ipe/lightindex.html

      If you want to experiment, here's one of several sites on the web that sell
      fiber optic material. I sent off for their FREE sample, and did in fact get
      a foot of every size they sell in a week:

      http://www.thefiberopticstore.com/FOS-mainpage.htm

      And I have the schematics of the sequencer that was sold "down under" to
      drive LEDs. Unfortunately, Dick Smith Electronics stopped making them. But
      if you can handle electronics projects, email me for the two GIF drawings.

      Regards,
      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston
    • Kari Tanskanen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
        "D. A. Karp" wrote:

        > Agreed. Has anyone played with Woodland Scenics' paving tape/flex
        > paste? I need something for those winding mountain roads...

        Something like this?: http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z2/p320.jpg
        I have made road base from balsa wood, which is easy to cut to follow
        curves.
        I glued a thin cover of chinchilla bath sand over it. Go and check out a
        pet shop. This is great stuff, very thin and white, so it is easy to dye
        it to whatever colour you want.
        I use watercolours. If it doesn't look right at first, just add an other
        layer of colour. Darker shade could make it look like asphalt, though
        it's impossible to paint road markings on top of sand. Those mountain
        road don't
        necessarily have them anyway.

        > Noch makes some two-lane roads for Z-scale (essentially painted masking
        > tape); they measure 1" wide (0.5" per lane). Cars look fine on the road,
        > but the trucks (those made by Noch, for example), barely fit. I think
        > perhaps adding another 15-20% plus a shoulder to the width would take care
        > of it.
        > Has anyone found a material that looks good for roads?

        How about N scale road tape?
        Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
        http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
        Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory
      • Anders Lattermann
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
          The roadbed I find the best is the one from Merkur.

          The Merkur Roadbed system is premade. It's just to snap in the track and it
          will look great at once. If you paint your rails rusty it will look extremly
          good. The overside is ballasted and the underside is made from soft foam.
          This gives less sound and also that the track is not glued down. Especially
          steam locos runs much better when the track is not glued stiff to the board
          since the track can flex which gives better contact to the long rows with
          wheels that steamers have. There is pieces available for all tracks from
          Märklin.

          If you want to see it, I have uploaded some pictures on my site. See
          http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/ in the for sale section under tracks and
          electrics (far down on the page).

          Best regards from a wintery Stockholm!
          /Anders