Re: [z_scale] Road width question

  • M. Gottschalch
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
      Reynard Wellman wrote:

      > To be to scale an LED would have to be a maximum
      > of .5mm Dia. for Z scale. No one that I know of makes
      > such a small LED. Fiber optic is the best solution at this time.

      Hi Reynard,

      I also remember the lights on posts beside the road, so that (in my mind
      anyway) is not too long ago. ;-)

      I didn't realize that the lights would have to be so small. That makes
      me wonder if it would be worth it, because I at least would be hard
      pressed to see them changing, unless they could be made very bright. Can
      fiber optics carry enough light so that when spread in two directions at
      the end it will be bright enough to see well? You would have to have 6
      fibers to do a 4 way light. Thats a lot to put into a very small pipe.

      Happy Holidays,
      --
      Manfred
    • bjkronen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
        Manfred, Reynard and the group:

        First, Happy New Year.

        Second:

        > Reynard Wellman wrote:
        > > To be to scale an LED would have to be a maximum
        > > of .5mm Dia. for Z scale.

        > Manfred wrote:
        > I didn't realize that the lights would have to be so small. That makes

        Here's where the state of the art in N scale appears to be:

        Hobbyist:
        http://members.iinet.net.au/~advance1/Nscale_traffic_lights.html

        Commercial Products:
        http://catalog.com/webrun/ipe/lightindex.html

        If you want to experiment, here's one of several sites on the web that sell
        fiber optic material. I sent off for their FREE sample, and did in fact get
        a foot of every size they sell in a week:

        http://www.thefiberopticstore.com/FOS-mainpage.htm

        And I have the schematics of the sequencer that was sold "down under" to
        drive LEDs. Unfortunately, Dick Smith Electronics stopped making them. But
        if you can handle electronics projects, email me for the two GIF drawings.

        Regards,
        Bill Kronenberger
        Houston
      • Kari Tanskanen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
          "D. A. Karp" wrote:

          > Agreed. Has anyone played with Woodland Scenics' paving tape/flex
          > paste? I need something for those winding mountain roads...

          Something like this?: http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z2/p320.jpg
          I have made road base from balsa wood, which is easy to cut to follow
          curves.
          I glued a thin cover of chinchilla bath sand over it. Go and check out a
          pet shop. This is great stuff, very thin and white, so it is easy to dye
          it to whatever colour you want.
          I use watercolours. If it doesn't look right at first, just add an other
          layer of colour. Darker shade could make it look like asphalt, though
          it's impossible to paint road markings on top of sand. Those mountain
          road don't
          necessarily have them anyway.

          > Noch makes some two-lane roads for Z-scale (essentially painted masking
          > tape); they measure 1" wide (0.5" per lane). Cars look fine on the road,
          > but the trucks (those made by Noch, for example), barely fit. I think
          > perhaps adding another 15-20% plus a shoulder to the width would take care
          > of it.
          > Has anyone found a material that looks good for roads?

          How about N scale road tape?
          Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
          http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
          Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory
        • Anders Lattermann
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
            The roadbed I find the best is the one from Merkur.

            The Merkur Roadbed system is premade. It's just to snap in the track and it
            will look great at once. If you paint your rails rusty it will look extremly
            good. The overside is ballasted and the underside is made from soft foam.
            This gives less sound and also that the track is not glued down. Especially
            steam locos runs much better when the track is not glued stiff to the board
            since the track can flex which gives better contact to the long rows with
            wheels that steamers have. There is pieces available for all tracks from
            Märklin.

            If you want to see it, I have uploaded some pictures on my site. See
            http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/ in the for sale section under tracks and
            electrics (far down on the page).

            Best regards from a wintery Stockholm!
            /Anders