Re: [z_scale] Road width question

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2000
      Hello Manfred,
      I know this going to date me but I can remember street signals
      that were not hanging over the street but were mounted on
      poles on the right hand sidewalk at many intersections in
      Dallas. True some were mounted on arms that hung out over
      the street. These were pleasant looking cast iron that took on
      a nice green patina in the weather. So if you
      don't mind modeling street scenes from the 20s to the 50s,
      go with the poles in the sidewalk. I also think that the hanging
      of street signals on cable would have been in conflict with the
      overhead catenary for the vast number of trolley cars
      that ran all over Dallas.

      To be to scale an LED would have to be a maximum
      of .5mm Dia. for Z scale. No one that I know of makes
      such a small LED. Fiber optic is the best solution at this time.

      Regards,
      Reynard

      "M. Gottschalch" wrote:

      > At the recent train show in Tampa there was someone who sold stop
      > light
      > kits in N and HO. They were very nice to see working, but since the
      > LEDs
      > were in the signals themselves they were too large for Z. It should be
      >
      > possible to add fiberoptics to the lights and then build the heads in
      > Z.
      > You might be limited to ones that stand on the corners or are attached
      >
      > to the poles that hang over the streets, as the fibers would have to
      > be
      > too big to look like wires. Or does someone know of LEDs that are only
      >
      > 1-2mm total outside to outside size? That way it might be possible
      > with
      > very small surface mount LEDs.
      > --
      > Manfred
    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
        Reynard Wellman wrote:

        > To be to scale an LED would have to be a maximum
        > of .5mm Dia. for Z scale. No one that I know of makes
        > such a small LED. Fiber optic is the best solution at this time.

        Hi Reynard,

        I also remember the lights on posts beside the road, so that (in my mind
        anyway) is not too long ago. ;-)

        I didn't realize that the lights would have to be so small. That makes
        me wonder if it would be worth it, because I at least would be hard
        pressed to see them changing, unless they could be made very bright. Can
        fiber optics carry enough light so that when spread in two directions at
        the end it will be bright enough to see well? You would have to have 6
        fibers to do a 4 way light. Thats a lot to put into a very small pipe.

        Happy Holidays,
        --
        Manfred
      • bjkronen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2001
          Manfred, Reynard and the group:

          First, Happy New Year.

          Second:

          > Reynard Wellman wrote:
          > > To be to scale an LED would have to be a maximum
          > > of .5mm Dia. for Z scale.

          > Manfred wrote:
          > I didn't realize that the lights would have to be so small. That makes

          Here's where the state of the art in N scale appears to be:

          Hobbyist:
          http://members.iinet.net.au/~advance1/Nscale_traffic_lights.html

          Commercial Products:
          http://catalog.com/webrun/ipe/lightindex.html

          If you want to experiment, here's one of several sites on the web that sell
          fiber optic material. I sent off for their FREE sample, and did in fact get
          a foot of every size they sell in a week:

          http://www.thefiberopticstore.com/FOS-mainpage.htm

          And I have the schematics of the sequencer that was sold "down under" to
          drive LEDs. Unfortunately, Dick Smith Electronics stopped making them. But
          if you can handle electronics projects, email me for the two GIF drawings.

          Regards,
          Bill Kronenberger
          Houston
        • Kari Tanskanen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
            "D. A. Karp" wrote:

            > Agreed. Has anyone played with Woodland Scenics' paving tape/flex
            > paste? I need something for those winding mountain roads...

            Something like this?: http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z2/p320.jpg
            I have made road base from balsa wood, which is easy to cut to follow
            curves.
            I glued a thin cover of chinchilla bath sand over it. Go and check out a
            pet shop. This is great stuff, very thin and white, so it is easy to dye
            it to whatever colour you want.
            I use watercolours. If it doesn't look right at first, just add an other
            layer of colour. Darker shade could make it look like asphalt, though
            it's impossible to paint road markings on top of sand. Those mountain
            road don't
            necessarily have them anyway.

            > Noch makes some two-lane roads for Z-scale (essentially painted masking
            > tape); they measure 1" wide (0.5" per lane). Cars look fine on the road,
            > but the trucks (those made by Noch, for example), barely fit. I think
            > perhaps adding another 15-20% plus a shoulder to the width would take care
            > of it.
            > Has anyone found a material that looks good for roads?

            How about N scale road tape?
            Kari Tanskanen ktanskan@...
            http://tappi.me.tut.fi/~ktanskan/photo/z/
            Tampere University of Technology Machine Design Laboratory
          • Anders Lattermann
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2001
              The roadbed I find the best is the one from Merkur.

              The Merkur Roadbed system is premade. It's just to snap in the track and it
              will look great at once. If you paint your rails rusty it will look extremly
              good. The overside is ballasted and the underside is made from soft foam.
              This gives less sound and also that the track is not glued down. Especially
              steam locos runs much better when the track is not glued stiff to the board
              since the track can flex which gives better contact to the long rows with
              wheels that steamers have. There is pieces available for all tracks from
              Märklin.

              If you want to see it, I have uploaded some pictures on my site. See
              http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/ in the for sale section under tracks and
              electrics (far down on the page).

              Best regards from a wintery Stockholm!
              /Anders