Re: [z_scale] 2-8-2 Mikado chassis

  • Larry Card
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
      > > (the first and third set are elevated slightly and do not contact
      > > the rails at all).
      >

      >Does anyone know for sure why Marklin milled the chassis in this manner?
      >Was
      >it to enable sharp radius track?

      According to what I've learned from the Nn3'ers, this was to increase the
      weight and therefore the electrical contact on the remaining drivers. It's
      not just the Mikado frame BTW, as far as I know all the steam locomotives
      are similar (although I have heard the new run of 0-6-0 is not).

      >One member modified their Mikado frame with shims to keep the middle
      >drivers
      >down on the track all the time. I wonder if that worked out well over
      >time?
      >
      >Inquiring minds want to know. <smile>

      I filed off the extensions on my 2-6-0 and added styrene shims to make the
      drivers all contact the rail. The styrene wore away rather quickly and
      caused the middle driver to lift when power was applied, which threw the
      wheelsets out of alignment. I ended up replacing the cover so the middle
      driver was lifted again. I'm sure that if I had put brass shims in instead
      it would not have had this problem, but truthfully I didn't see any
      advantage to the modification (other than cosmetic).

      The best way to do this would be to somehow compensate the axles so that all
      the drivers could contact the rails all the time. I don't know if that's
      possible at this small scale. How does AZL do this on their Daylight loco?
      V/R
      Larry P. Card
      Virginia Beach, VA