Re: [z_scale] Re: Toy Trains up to My Z today.

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
      Hello Michael,

      > Permission? None needed :)!

      THX :-)

      > Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?

      Sorry, but this is an information I need myself, since I'm in Munich
      in Octobeer <-- oooppps, wishful thinking?
      But seriously, I'm from Northern Germany near Hamburg. I will be in
      Munich from October 8th to 11th for a long relaxing weekend, and I
      haven't been there before.

      --
      Greetings
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
        Michael
        One thing I found for Z was the department stores across the square
        from the main train station. They have large "toy" sections that
        include model trains. They might not have the "Christmas displays"
        out yet as they aren't MBA driven like the stores here are.
        Ed Scullin

        SNIP
        > Hello to you in Germany! I will be out that way in a couple of
        > weeks for work. Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich
        > area?
        >

        > Cheers,
        >

        > -michael
        >

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
        > > Hello Michael,
        > >
        > > > we baked him an N- scale layout
        > >
        > > Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the
        > pictures,
        > and
        > > I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if
        > we
        > > copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
        > > permission to do so ;-) )
        > >
        > > --
        > > Greetings from Germany
        > >
        > > Uwe

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • jmac_han
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
          Hi Gang,

          The easiest way for me to answer the question regarding HSS's in
          Munich is to share my report of the whirlwind tour from the VEC
          Faszination Modellbau AdventureZ in 2002. Note: you'll have to
          join VECRR to see the photos but the hobby shops are identified in
          the text. Enjoy!

          Jeffrey

          ******************

          Episode 20: HSS's in Munich

          Munich, Wednesday March 27, 2002.

          Warning: lots of links!

          There is nothing I like more than to go hobby shop hopping with
          Terry Sutfin.
          With Jeremy Brandon's help we were hoping to make several stops
          during the day
          but first we had promised ourselves a guided city tour to get our
          general
          bearings and to see the major landmarks.

          The three of us enjoyed a 1-hour English-German tour with the Yellow
          Cab Tour
          Lines. The guide was very animated and informative moving from one
          language to
          the other without taking a breath!

          Thanks to the tour we had a better feeling of the layout of the city
          and its
          major attractions including the palace, the golden angel, the
          English garden,
          the twin 15th century church towers and the opera house...

          Once back on solid ground, we were off and hunting for HSs. The
          biggest and
          easiest to find was Fischers which had a huge sign along the
          boulevard. It was
          hard to miss.

          The entrance held a surprise for Terry and me. Jeremy and Manfred had
          installed, in the main floor, an operating HO display. Customers
          walked right
          over the moving trains that were on a shuttle circuit. Jeremy wasn't
          happy
          because one of the two trains seemed to be stuck.

          The second floor of this modern store was devoted to trains, RC and
          plastic
          kits. The displays were well done and the Z selection was reasonable
          although
          limited to the 2001 items.

          The store had a clean WC which we all promptly put to good use in
          preparation
          for a full day of HSS's.

          The next stop took us across the street (via an underground plaza)
          to Obletters
          Toy Store. I like a city that has two major toy stores across from
          each other!

          The train section was very well stocked in more unusual and hard to
          find items.
          They had Noch pre-formed N-Z layouts in several sizes and a good
          selection of
          plastic kits from Faller, Vollmer and Kibri. Another surprise was
          the fact
          that Obletter's was having a sale on Marklin Z! Too bad I didn't
          model DB
          because there were some very nice specials. Jeremy was especially
          interested
          in one loco in the 'Sale' case.

          I picked up a Marklin presentation
          pack (you know, the one with the little blue 0-6-0 and car in the
          plastic
          case). It happened to be the only one in stock and it was on special
          too! I
          now had my 'official' Marklin souvenir from the trip :-) and it cost
          me less
          than a replacement 5 pole motor and chassis for my venerable 0-6-0
          steamer.

          SNIP

          Faced with the paucity of Z scale
          items in the hobby shops we had seen so far, I decided to widen the
          scope of my
          hunt. I announced that HOn30 would also be fun to look for,
          especially Bemo.
          Remembering that magnificent mallet Bemo had shown in Sinsheim, I
          wondered if
          it actually might be on a shelf somewhere in town. Jeremy knew of a
          couple of
          places that might fit the bill.

          Herr Bauer's shop was full of LGB and Bemo. He informed me that the
          mallet in
          question would not be available until the Fall of 2002. Just as well
          for my
          wallet in any case.

          Wagner EuroTrains was a wonderful shop that offered US prototype in
          HO and N.
          This was the only store where we found Micro-Trains Line products.
          The only Z
          items to be found were some metal vehicles that were priced higher
          than their
          weight in gold. I did plunk down some Euros for a Roco HOe 0-6-0 to
          keep my
          wife's collection up-to-date.

          Although we didn't visit this shop with Jeremy we did manage to find
          it with a
          little help from Model Railroader Magazine. Terry had brought along
          the
          address and we managed to spot it from the opposite side of the
          street, not far
          from Fischers. The store reminded me a lot of US mom and pop shops.
          It was
          grungy, disorganized, pricey and the owner didn't show any sign of
          interest in
          us. Just like home! There was a very small amount of Z, nothing to
          write home
          about, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. My advice: if you're in
          Munich,
          don't waste your time with this place, unless you're homesick!

        • michael
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
            Jeffrey,

            Thank you for the detailed information (PLUS PHOTOS!). Don't know
            how much play-time I'll have there, but now I am armed with a map and
            recon photos for a surgical strike if that is all I end up having
            time for.

            BTW, hello again! I met you once, briefly, at Utrecht Eurospoor '03
            during my last business trip out that way. I hadn't much time then,
            but was able to sneak out to the show for a few hours and take in
            some of its vastness. The main reason I went that way that day was
            to see the legendary VECRR in person. Incredible piece of moving
            artwork!

            Though I only saw a total of three Z layouts there (which, by the
            way, was three more than any I had ever seen at any of the local
            shows in NoCal), I was astounded by the amount of Z that was being
            traded! The hardest thing for me during that entire trip was to
            force myself out that door to catch the train to Amsterdam for the
            return flight that day :)

            -m
          • michael
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
              Uwe,

              Just a quick note to let you know that I was able to spend a few hours
              in Munich before my return trip to the states.

              I went to Fischers and Obletter's and it was worth it...

              I was at the Munich Airport early Wed. (9/22) morning and found that
              I had some time to kill before my afternoon Lufthansa flight for SFO.
              I checked my baggage into a locker at the airport and then hopped
              onto the S-Bahn for the 45miniute ride to the main Munich train
              station (hauptbahnhof).
              Nice ride with lots of trainspotting along the way. When I got
              there - WOW.
              I was in ICEHeaven; there was a nonstop stream of ICE2, ICET, ICE3, I
              had never seen so many ICE trains before! I pulled out my MiniDV
              camera and just sat there filming for almost an hour straight.
              Afterwards, I went outside of the station and hopped onto the tram to
              the next station and went to Obletter's and Fischers. Just as
              described - they are literally across the street from each other!
              Both are nice shops - Fischers had a much larger area dedicated to
              trains but both were very well stocked.
              I was a bit bummed when I started asking for a gear for my 8871 and I
              was told that it was only a special order part. (I suspected as such,
              but thought I'd ask anyway:)

              Anyway - hope you get to play some when you're there later this week!

              regards,

              Michael Tuason

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
              > Hello Michael,
              >
              > > Permission? None needed :)!
              >
              > THX :-)
              >
              > > Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?
              >
              > Sorry, but this is an information I need myself, since I'm in Munich
              > in Octobeer <-- oooppps, wishful thinking?
              > But seriously, I'm from Northern Germany near Hamburg. I will be in
              > Munich from October 8th to 11th for a long relaxing weekend, and I
              > haven't been there before.
              >
              > --
              > Greetings
              > Uwe
            • Uwe Liermann
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                Hello Michael,

                THX for the update on Munich train stores. Last night I checked
                Jeffrey's story about his tour to Munich in 2002, and then got a map
                where I marked the stores in Munich. I also found an address for a
                third store:

                Alexanders Modellbahn

                it is also situated at the same street as Fischers. I will have a look
                there too.

                Since the flying is the fastest way, and did cost much less than car
                or train, I admit that I don't use the ICE from Hamburg to Munich. So
                I will do the same trip to the Main station in Munich. Our hotel then
                is just around the corner.

                I will do a toast to this fine group, while enjoying a fine beer ;-)

                --
                greetingZ
                Uwe