Re: Toy Trains up to My Z today.

  • michael
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hello Uwe,

      Permission? None needed :)! I encourage you to do so, and I can
      pass you more details on what was used for trees, water etc, if it
      will help. I used the 9V battery case from the Marklin 81520 set
      for the controller. I had a grander vision for the final design -
      bridged PWM battery controller, sugar-glass light pipes for the
      station lanterns (using LEDs underneath) etc. - but pulled back
      considerably as it went, for we returned from a major trip just two
      days before the birthday party.

      Hello to you in Germany! I will be out that way in a couple of
      weeks for work. Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?

      Cheers,

      -michael

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
      > Hello Michael,
      >
      > > we baked him an N- scale layout
      >
      > Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the pictures,
      and
      > I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if we
      > copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
      > permission to do so ;-) )
      >
      > --
      > Greetings from Germany
      >
      > Uwe
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
        Hello Michael,

        > Permission? None needed :)!

        THX :-)

        > Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?

        Sorry, but this is an information I need myself, since I'm in Munich
        in Octobeer <-- oooppps, wishful thinking?
        But seriously, I'm from Northern Germany near Hamburg. I will be in
        Munich from October 8th to 11th for a long relaxing weekend, and I
        haven't been there before.

        --
        Greetings
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
          Michael
          One thing I found for Z was the department stores across the square
          from the main train station. They have large "toy" sections that
          include model trains. They might not have the "Christmas displays"
          out yet as they aren't MBA driven like the stores here are.
          Ed Scullin

          SNIP
          > Hello to you in Germany! I will be out that way in a couple of
          > weeks for work. Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich
          > area?
          >

          > Cheers,
          >

          > -michael
          >

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
          > > Hello Michael,
          > >
          > > > we baked him an N- scale layout
          > >
          > > Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the
          > pictures,
          > and
          > > I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if
          > we
          > > copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
          > > permission to do so ;-) )
          > >
          > > --
          > > Greetings from Germany
          > >
          > > Uwe

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • jmac_han
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
            Hi Gang,

            The easiest way for me to answer the question regarding HSS's in
            Munich is to share my report of the whirlwind tour from the VEC
            Faszination Modellbau AdventureZ in 2002. Note: you'll have to
            join VECRR to see the photos but the hobby shops are identified in
            the text. Enjoy!

            Jeffrey

            ******************

            Episode 20: HSS's in Munich

            Munich, Wednesday March 27, 2002.

            Warning: lots of links!

            There is nothing I like more than to go hobby shop hopping with
            Terry Sutfin.
            With Jeremy Brandon's help we were hoping to make several stops
            during the day
            but first we had promised ourselves a guided city tour to get our
            general
            bearings and to see the major landmarks.

            The three of us enjoyed a 1-hour English-German tour with the Yellow
            Cab Tour
            Lines. The guide was very animated and informative moving from one
            language to
            the other without taking a breath!

            Thanks to the tour we had a better feeling of the layout of the city
            and its
            major attractions including the palace, the golden angel, the
            English garden,
            the twin 15th century church towers and the opera house...

            Once back on solid ground, we were off and hunting for HSs. The
            biggest and
            easiest to find was Fischers which had a huge sign along the
            boulevard. It was
            hard to miss.

            The entrance held a surprise for Terry and me. Jeremy and Manfred had
            installed, in the main floor, an operating HO display. Customers
            walked right
            over the moving trains that were on a shuttle circuit. Jeremy wasn't
            happy
            because one of the two trains seemed to be stuck.

            The second floor of this modern store was devoted to trains, RC and
            plastic
            kits. The displays were well done and the Z selection was reasonable
            although
            limited to the 2001 items.

            The store had a clean WC which we all promptly put to good use in
            preparation
            for a full day of HSS's.

            The next stop took us across the street (via an underground plaza)
            to Obletters
            Toy Store. I like a city that has two major toy stores across from
            each other!

            The train section was very well stocked in more unusual and hard to
            find items.
            They had Noch pre-formed N-Z layouts in several sizes and a good
            selection of
            plastic kits from Faller, Vollmer and Kibri. Another surprise was
            the fact
            that Obletter's was having a sale on Marklin Z! Too bad I didn't
            model DB
            because there were some very nice specials. Jeremy was especially
            interested
            in one loco in the 'Sale' case.

            I picked up a Marklin presentation
            pack (you know, the one with the little blue 0-6-0 and car in the
            plastic
            case). It happened to be the only one in stock and it was on special
            too! I
            now had my 'official' Marklin souvenir from the trip :-) and it cost
            me less
            than a replacement 5 pole motor and chassis for my venerable 0-6-0
            steamer.

            SNIP

            Faced with the paucity of Z scale
            items in the hobby shops we had seen so far, I decided to widen the
            scope of my
            hunt. I announced that HOn30 would also be fun to look for,
            especially Bemo.
            Remembering that magnificent mallet Bemo had shown in Sinsheim, I
            wondered if
            it actually might be on a shelf somewhere in town. Jeremy knew of a
            couple of
            places that might fit the bill.

            Herr Bauer's shop was full of LGB and Bemo. He informed me that the
            mallet in
            question would not be available until the Fall of 2002. Just as well
            for my
            wallet in any case.

            Wagner EuroTrains was a wonderful shop that offered US prototype in
            HO and N.
            This was the only store where we found Micro-Trains Line products.
            The only Z
            items to be found were some metal vehicles that were priced higher
            than their
            weight in gold. I did plunk down some Euros for a Roco HOe 0-6-0 to
            keep my
            wife's collection up-to-date.

            Although we didn't visit this shop with Jeremy we did manage to find
            it with a
            little help from Model Railroader Magazine. Terry had brought along
            the
            address and we managed to spot it from the opposite side of the
            street, not far
            from Fischers. The store reminded me a lot of US mom and pop shops.
            It was
            grungy, disorganized, pricey and the owner didn't show any sign of
            interest in
            us. Just like home! There was a very small amount of Z, nothing to
            write home
            about, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. My advice: if you're in
            Munich,
            don't waste your time with this place, unless you're homesick!

          • michael
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
              Jeffrey,

              Thank you for the detailed information (PLUS PHOTOS!). Don't know
              how much play-time I'll have there, but now I am armed with a map and
              recon photos for a surgical strike if that is all I end up having
              time for.

              BTW, hello again! I met you once, briefly, at Utrecht Eurospoor '03
              during my last business trip out that way. I hadn't much time then,
              but was able to sneak out to the show for a few hours and take in
              some of its vastness. The main reason I went that way that day was
              to see the legendary VECRR in person. Incredible piece of moving
              artwork!

              Though I only saw a total of three Z layouts there (which, by the
              way, was three more than any I had ever seen at any of the local
              shows in NoCal), I was astounded by the amount of Z that was being
              traded! The hardest thing for me during that entire trip was to
              force myself out that door to catch the train to Amsterdam for the
              return flight that day :)

              -m
            • michael
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
                Uwe,

                Just a quick note to let you know that I was able to spend a few hours
                in Munich before my return trip to the states.

                I went to Fischers and Obletter's and it was worth it...

                I was at the Munich Airport early Wed. (9/22) morning and found that
                I had some time to kill before my afternoon Lufthansa flight for SFO.
                I checked my baggage into a locker at the airport and then hopped
                onto the S-Bahn for the 45miniute ride to the main Munich train
                station (hauptbahnhof).
                Nice ride with lots of trainspotting along the way. When I got
                there - WOW.
                I was in ICEHeaven; there was a nonstop stream of ICE2, ICET, ICE3, I
                had never seen so many ICE trains before! I pulled out my MiniDV
                camera and just sat there filming for almost an hour straight.
                Afterwards, I went outside of the station and hopped onto the tram to
                the next station and went to Obletter's and Fischers. Just as
                described - they are literally across the street from each other!
                Both are nice shops - Fischers had a much larger area dedicated to
                trains but both were very well stocked.
                I was a bit bummed when I started asking for a gear for my 8871 and I
                was told that it was only a special order part. (I suspected as such,
                but thought I'd ask anyway:)

                Anyway - hope you get to play some when you're there later this week!

                regards,

                Michael Tuason

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                > Hello Michael,
                >
                > > Permission? None needed :)!
                >
                > THX :-)
                >
                > > Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?
                >
                > Sorry, but this is an information I need myself, since I'm in Munich
                > in Octobeer <-- oooppps, wishful thinking?
                > But seriously, I'm from Northern Germany near Hamburg. I will be in
                > Munich from October 8th to 11th for a long relaxing weekend, and I
                > haven't been there before.
                >
                > --
                > Greetings
                > Uwe
              • Uwe Liermann
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                  Hello Michael,

                  THX for the update on Munich train stores. Last night I checked
                  Jeffrey's story about his tour to Munich in 2002, and then got a map
                  where I marked the stores in Munich. I also found an address for a
                  third store:

                  Alexanders Modellbahn

                  it is also situated at the same street as Fischers. I will have a look
                  there too.

                  Since the flying is the fastest way, and did cost much less than car
                  or train, I admit that I don't use the ICE from Hamburg to Munich. So
                  I will do the same trip to the Main station in Munich. Our hotel then
                  is just around the corner.

                  I will do a toast to this fine group, while enjoying a fine beer ;-)

                  --
                  greetingZ
                  Uwe