Re: [z_scale] 2-8-2 Mikado chassis

  • zbendtrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      Anyone:

      With reference to the Marklin Mikado thread....

      > (the first and third set are elevated slightly and do not contact
      > the rails at all).

      Some years back, one of the list members put some excellent stills and movies
      in the files area....showing the middle drivers being lifted up during
      forward motion.

      Does anyone know for sure why Marklin milled the chassis in this manner? Was
      it to enable sharp radius track?

      One member modified their Mikado frame with shims to keep the middle drivers
      down on the track all the time. I wonder if that worked out well over time?

      Inquiring minds want to know. <smile>
      Bill K.
      Houston

    • Larry Card
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
        > > (the first and third set are elevated slightly and do not contact
        > > the rails at all).
        >

        >Does anyone know for sure why Marklin milled the chassis in this manner?
        >Was
        >it to enable sharp radius track?

        According to what I've learned from the Nn3'ers, this was to increase the
        weight and therefore the electrical contact on the remaining drivers. It's
        not just the Mikado frame BTW, as far as I know all the steam locomotives
        are similar (although I have heard the new run of 0-6-0 is not).

        >One member modified their Mikado frame with shims to keep the middle
        >drivers
        >down on the track all the time. I wonder if that worked out well over
        >time?
        >
        >Inquiring minds want to know. <smile>

        I filed off the extensions on my 2-6-0 and added styrene shims to make the
        drivers all contact the rail. The styrene wore away rather quickly and
        caused the middle driver to lift when power was applied, which threw the
        wheelsets out of alignment. I ended up replacing the cover so the middle
        driver was lifted again. I'm sure that if I had put brass shims in instead
        it would not have had this problem, but truthfully I didn't see any
        advantage to the modification (other than cosmetic).

        The best way to do this would be to somehow compensate the axles so that all
        the drivers could contact the rails all the time. I don't know if that's
        possible at this small scale. How does AZL do this on their Daylight loco?
        V/R
        Larry P. Card
        Virginia Beach, VA