RE: [z_scale] 2-8-2 Mikado chassis worm gear/drive shaft ?

  • Larry Card
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
      >Does the 8827 [or the same chassis in different incarnations !]
      >Mikado chassis have a horizontal worm gear driving the back set of
      >drivers ? Photos of the similar German Mikado in a Marklin catalog
      >seem to show something like this.

      Yes they do. The straight cut gear on the motor drives the straight cut
      gear on the end of the driveshaft, which in turn drives the drivers via a
      worm gear on the other end of the driveshaft.

      >Would it be possible to set up a pair of these mechanisms to power a
      >Garratt - using a Sagami or similar motor in the boiler of the unit
      >and a length of plastic wire coating or something similarly flexible
      >as a drive shaft from the motor to the worm gear on each 2-8-2
      >chassis ?

      It should be possible to make some type of central motor for two 8827
      mechanisms, but why bother? Why not just couple two 8827 (or maybe 8803)
      type mechanisms back to back using the existing motors?

      >Would this be a problematic conversion ?
      >
      >Do the Marklin 4 axle lead trucks have power pick up ?

      Couldn't tell you, the 8827 has 2 wheel lead and trailing trucks that are
      not pickups. Electrical contact is via wipers on the second and fourth set
      of drivers (the first and third set are elevated slightly and do not contact
      the rails at all).

      Hope this helps
      V/R
      Larry P. Card
      Virginia Beach, VA

    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
        Hello Ben,

        > Does the 8827 [or the same chassis in different incarnations !]
        > Mikado chassis have a horizontal worm gear driving the back set of
        > drivers ? Photos of the similar German Mikado in a Marklin catalog
        > seem to show something like this.

        Did you try this website:

        http://www.maerklin.de/

        there go to "Service"
        don't klick, just move to the next menue: "Zeichnungen und ET-Listen"
        and then chose "Märklin Spur Z"

        there you will find a list of PDF files with drawings for various
        engines.

        --
        Greetings
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
          >Do the Marklin 4 axle lead trucks have power pick up ?

          I can only answer this part with certainty. A= No. Not out of the box, at
          least. :)