Zf (was: [z_scale] Re: New poll for Z-scale)

  • Arnim v. Herff
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
      >The "f" in Zf, (H)0f, ... traces from the german word "Feldbahn" (english:
      >~field-railway) which in Europe is usually a 60 cm-gauge (~ 23,6 inch). This
      >gauge was used in (coal)mines, to transport peat or temporary on great
      >building sites (up to about 15 years [in Europe] after the end of WWII).

      Hello Manfred and Z-scalers.

      It was common that such light-railways was used in brickyards too. Even in some metal producing factories this gauge was/is in service. Last one I discovered, served around a furnance in which is melted lead. I was not able to puzzle out if this light-railway is still in use or if it is taken out of service (vehicles, tracks and so on existed, but it looks like it is used very seldom or not anymore. Astonishing was a "cute" four-axeled "slag-pan-car"). Another one is still in service here in the steel-mill area of Thyssen. And the traffic inbetween the last coal-mine of Duisburg is still done by light-railways - not only below the earth but above too. Here is one of the seldom places on which a light-railway could be observed from outside restricted areas. So interesting impressions are possible: A light-railway with 600mm-gauge beside of a full sized standard RR with 1435mm.
      Light-railways are in use for totaly other purpose too: At the German coast it still serve for dike-building and similar.

      In Eastern Europe exists some lines, but caused by the economicaly changes every month one or two lines finish their service. :-(

      "So what?" could be the question of a Z-scaler and would kindly ask for a marking [OT] for this mail. But there are Zf models on the market. Saller and Wegass offers such things (sorry, no URL at hand, but look at Jens' link-page: http://www.zettzeit.ch).
      So, be fast and collect your impressions at the prototype to become able to write similar nice stories like Bill Hoshiko. This special railroads decrease every day. (The coal-mine in Duisburg will be closed untill 2008...)

      Greetings Arnim
      --
      ### /"\ ASCII Ribbon ## Bitte keine Mails in HTML, ####
      ### \ / Campaign ## nur plain/text ####
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
        >Could someone explain the difference between Gauge 1 and MAXI?

        Maxi means expensive!

        Im kidding, actually, but it's true. MAXI is Maerklins line of Large Scale
        trains that run on G guage [LGB] track.