Re: [z_scale] Re: Z scale and "accurate" rail

  • Tom Fisher
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
      Could you post the URL?

      --- de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
      wrote:

      > --- "Adrian T. Wymann" <rail@...> a �crit�:
      >

      > > Reynard
      > >
      > > You're perfectly right, of course, concerning
      > those
      > > huge black boxes
      > > next to Marklin switches
      >
      > Guys, please let me remind you what is showed on
      > David
      > Karp's website: how to remove Marklin Turnouts
      > mechanism.
      >
      > I've done the same on the small diorama on which I'm
      > working, and it's an easy operation. And the look is
      > very, very better: the only heck with these modified
      > turnouts is tie spacing not matching US prototype,
      > but
      > with this it's the same than Marklin / Peco track,
      > and
      > curved rails beyond frog on diverging track (as it
      > is
      > straight on prototype). But anyway like this they
      > have
      > a fair looking.
      >
      > Of course it's a little expensive as you have to
      > replace the original mechanism with a Tortoise or
      > sthg
      > like this, but it's worth to do it.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Dominique
      >

      > Vous manquez d�espace pour stocker vos mails ?
      > Yahoo! Mail vous offre GRATUITEMENT 100 Mo !
      > Cr�ez votre Yahoo! Mail sur
      > http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/
      >
      > Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arriv� ! D�couvrez
      > toutes les nouveaut�s pour dialoguer instantan�ment
      > avec vos amis. A t�l�charger gratuitement sur
      > http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
        --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> a écrit :
        > Could you post the URL?

        http://www.zscale.org/articles/undertable.html

      • Greg McAndrews
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
          Hi all,

          I have had the pleasure of seeing Dominique's diorama and he has made a
          convert of me.

          Once you take the "knife" to those black boxes...you will never look
          back. If you hesitate, practice on some abused turnouts with burned out
          solenoids.

          The difference is dramatic. It is a pity that Märklin doesn't just sell
          the basic turnout without the box.

          Greg McAndrews

          > You're perfectly right, of course, concerning those
          > huge black boxes
          > next to Marklin switches

          Guys, please let me remind you what is showed on David
          Karp's website: how to remove Marklin Turnouts
          mechanism.

          I've done the same on the small diorama on which I'm
          working, and it's an easy operation. And the look is
          very, very better: the only heck with these modified
          turnouts is tie spacing not matching US prototype, but
          with this it's the same than Marklin / Peco track, and
          curved rails beyond frog on diverging track (as it is
          straight on prototype). But anyway like this they have
          a fair looking.

          Of course it's a little expensive as you have to
          replace the original mechanism with a Tortoise or sthg
          like this, but it's worth to do it.

          Cheers,

          Dominique

          Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez toutes les nouveautés
          pour dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis. A télécharger gratuitement
          sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

          "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
          DoseZ!

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
            --- Greg McAndrews <mcandrew@...> a écrit :
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I have had the pleasure of seeing Dominique's
            > diorama and he has made a
            > convert of me.

            Thanks for the advertisement Greg! But I don't want
            to be taken for the "Doctor Turnout"! I've only
            followed David Karp's instructions.
            Cheers,
            Dominique

          • Torsja
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 5, 2004
              After Dominique reminded me of the nice website of David Karp's
              http://www.zscale.org/articles/undertable.html I decided
              that the motor on the Marklin Z-Scale turnouts is not so pretty. So
              I went to work on one that was already installed on my Needle Eye
              ZMOD. I used the knife to cut out the motor from the turnout and
              pleased it under the layout instead. I think the result was so much
              better. And it actually was very easy to do this modification. And
              with use of the original motor from Marklin it is relative cheap to
              use instead of buying a new turtle motor. Used Markline turnouts are
              not so hard to by cheap on the internet.

              I will let the pictures on my website speak for them self.
              http://194.143.113.189/tjm/

              regards
              Torsja - Norway

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique