Re: [z_scale] Re: Toy Trains up to My Z today.

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hello Michael,

      > we baked him an N- scale layout

      Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the pictures, and
      I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if we
      copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
      permission to do so ;-) )

      --
      Greetings from Germany

      Uwe
    • michael
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hello Uwe,

        Permission? None needed :)! I encourage you to do so, and I can
        pass you more details on what was used for trees, water etc, if it
        will help. I used the 9V battery case from the Marklin 81520 set
        for the controller. I had a grander vision for the final design -
        bridged PWM battery controller, sugar-glass light pipes for the
        station lanterns (using LEDs underneath) etc. - but pulled back
        considerably as it went, for we returned from a major trip just two
        days before the birthday party.

        Hello to you in Germany! I will be out that way in a couple of
        weeks for work. Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?

        Cheers,

        -michael

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
        > Hello Michael,
        >
        > > we baked him an N- scale layout
        >
        > Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the pictures,
        and
        > I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if we
        > copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
        > permission to do so ;-) )
        >
        > --
        > Greetings from Germany
        >
        > Uwe
      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
          Hello Michael,

          > Permission? None needed :)!

          THX :-)

          > Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?

          Sorry, but this is an information I need myself, since I'm in Munich
          in Octobeer <-- oooppps, wishful thinking?
          But seriously, I'm from Northern Germany near Hamburg. I will be in
          Munich from October 8th to 11th for a long relaxing weekend, and I
          haven't been there before.

          --
          Greetings
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
            Michael
            One thing I found for Z was the department stores across the square
            from the main train station. They have large "toy" sections that
            include model trains. They might not have the "Christmas displays"
            out yet as they aren't MBA driven like the stores here are.
            Ed Scullin

            SNIP
            > Hello to you in Germany! I will be out that way in a couple of
            > weeks for work. Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich
            > area?
            >

            > Cheers,
            >

            > -michael
            >

            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
            > > Hello Michael,
            > >
            > > > we baked him an N- scale layout
            > >
            > > Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the
            > pictures,
            > and
            > > I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if
            > we
            > > copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
            > > permission to do so ;-) )
            > >
            > > --
            > > Greetings from Germany
            > >
            > > Uwe

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • jmac_han
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
              Hi Gang,

              The easiest way for me to answer the question regarding HSS's in
              Munich is to share my report of the whirlwind tour from the VEC
              Faszination Modellbau AdventureZ in 2002. Note: you'll have to
              join VECRR to see the photos but the hobby shops are identified in
              the text. Enjoy!

              Jeffrey

              ******************

              Episode 20: HSS's in Munich

              Munich, Wednesday March 27, 2002.

              Warning: lots of links!

              There is nothing I like more than to go hobby shop hopping with
              Terry Sutfin.
              With Jeremy Brandon's help we were hoping to make several stops
              during the day
              but first we had promised ourselves a guided city tour to get our
              general
              bearings and to see the major landmarks.

              The three of us enjoyed a 1-hour English-German tour with the Yellow
              Cab Tour
              Lines. The guide was very animated and informative moving from one
              language to
              the other without taking a breath!

              Thanks to the tour we had a better feeling of the layout of the city
              and its
              major attractions including the palace, the golden angel, the
              English garden,
              the twin 15th century church towers and the opera house...

              Once back on solid ground, we were off and hunting for HSs. The
              biggest and
              easiest to find was Fischers which had a huge sign along the
              boulevard. It was
              hard to miss.

              The entrance held a surprise for Terry and me. Jeremy and Manfred had
              installed, in the main floor, an operating HO display. Customers
              walked right
              over the moving trains that were on a shuttle circuit. Jeremy wasn't
              happy
              because one of the two trains seemed to be stuck.

              The second floor of this modern store was devoted to trains, RC and
              plastic
              kits. The displays were well done and the Z selection was reasonable
              although
              limited to the 2001 items.

              The store had a clean WC which we all promptly put to good use in
              preparation
              for a full day of HSS's.

              The next stop took us across the street (via an underground plaza)
              to Obletters
              Toy Store. I like a city that has two major toy stores across from
              each other!

              The train section was very well stocked in more unusual and hard to
              find items.
              They had Noch pre-formed N-Z layouts in several sizes and a good
              selection of
              plastic kits from Faller, Vollmer and Kibri. Another surprise was
              the fact
              that Obletter's was having a sale on Marklin Z! Too bad I didn't
              model DB
              because there were some very nice specials. Jeremy was especially
              interested
              in one loco in the 'Sale' case.

              I picked up a Marklin presentation
              pack (you know, the one with the little blue 0-6-0 and car in the
              plastic
              case). It happened to be the only one in stock and it was on special
              too! I
              now had my 'official' Marklin souvenir from the trip :-) and it cost
              me less
              than a replacement 5 pole motor and chassis for my venerable 0-6-0
              steamer.

              SNIP

              Faced with the paucity of Z scale
              items in the hobby shops we had seen so far, I decided to widen the
              scope of my
              hunt. I announced that HOn30 would also be fun to look for,
              especially Bemo.
              Remembering that magnificent mallet Bemo had shown in Sinsheim, I
              wondered if
              it actually might be on a shelf somewhere in town. Jeremy knew of a
              couple of
              places that might fit the bill.

              Herr Bauer's shop was full of LGB and Bemo. He informed me that the
              mallet in
              question would not be available until the Fall of 2002. Just as well
              for my
              wallet in any case.

              Wagner EuroTrains was a wonderful shop that offered US prototype in
              HO and N.
              This was the only store where we found Micro-Trains Line products.
              The only Z
              items to be found were some metal vehicles that were priced higher
              than their
              weight in gold. I did plunk down some Euros for a Roco HOe 0-6-0 to
              keep my
              wife's collection up-to-date.

              Although we didn't visit this shop with Jeremy we did manage to find
              it with a
              little help from Model Railroader Magazine. Terry had brought along
              the
              address and we managed to spot it from the opposite side of the
              street, not far
              from Fischers. The store reminded me a lot of US mom and pop shops.
              It was
              grungy, disorganized, pricey and the owner didn't show any sign of
              interest in
              us. Just like home! There was a very small amount of Z, nothing to
              write home
              about, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. My advice: if you're in
              Munich,
              don't waste your time with this place, unless you're homesick!

            • michael
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
                Jeffrey,

                Thank you for the detailed information (PLUS PHOTOS!). Don't know
                how much play-time I'll have there, but now I am armed with a map and
                recon photos for a surgical strike if that is all I end up having
                time for.

                BTW, hello again! I met you once, briefly, at Utrecht Eurospoor '03
                during my last business trip out that way. I hadn't much time then,
                but was able to sneak out to the show for a few hours and take in
                some of its vastness. The main reason I went that way that day was
                to see the legendary VECRR in person. Incredible piece of moving
                artwork!

                Though I only saw a total of three Z layouts there (which, by the
                way, was three more than any I had ever seen at any of the local
                shows in NoCal), I was astounded by the amount of Z that was being
                traded! The hardest thing for me during that entire trip was to
                force myself out that door to catch the train to Amsterdam for the
                return flight that day :)

                -m
              • michael
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
                  Uwe,

                  Just a quick note to let you know that I was able to spend a few hours
                  in Munich before my return trip to the states.

                  I went to Fischers and Obletter's and it was worth it...

                  I was at the Munich Airport early Wed. (9/22) morning and found that
                  I had some time to kill before my afternoon Lufthansa flight for SFO.
                  I checked my baggage into a locker at the airport and then hopped
                  onto the S-Bahn for the 45miniute ride to the main Munich train
                  station (hauptbahnhof).
                  Nice ride with lots of trainspotting along the way. When I got
                  there - WOW.
                  I was in ICEHeaven; there was a nonstop stream of ICE2, ICET, ICE3, I
                  had never seen so many ICE trains before! I pulled out my MiniDV
                  camera and just sat there filming for almost an hour straight.
                  Afterwards, I went outside of the station and hopped onto the tram to
                  the next station and went to Obletter's and Fischers. Just as
                  described - they are literally across the street from each other!
                  Both are nice shops - Fischers had a much larger area dedicated to
                  trains but both were very well stocked.
                  I was a bit bummed when I started asking for a gear for my 8871 and I
                  was told that it was only a special order part. (I suspected as such,
                  but thought I'd ask anyway:)

                  Anyway - hope you get to play some when you're there later this week!

                  regards,

                  Michael Tuason

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                  > Hello Michael,
                  >
                  > > Permission? None needed :)!
                  >
                  > THX :-)
                  >
                  > > Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?
                  >
                  > Sorry, but this is an information I need myself, since I'm in Munich
                  > in Octobeer <-- oooppps, wishful thinking?
                  > But seriously, I'm from Northern Germany near Hamburg. I will be in
                  > Munich from October 8th to 11th for a long relaxing weekend, and I
                  > haven't been there before.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Greetings
                  > Uwe
                • Uwe Liermann
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                    Hello Michael,

                    THX for the update on Munich train stores. Last night I checked
                    Jeffrey's story about his tour to Munich in 2002, and then got a map
                    where I marked the stores in Munich. I also found an address for a
                    third store:

                    Alexanders Modellbahn

                    it is also situated at the same street as Fischers. I will have a look
                    there too.

                    Since the flying is the fastest way, and did cost much less than car
                    or train, I admit that I don't use the ICE from Hamburg to Munich. So
                    I will do the same trip to the Main station in Munich. Our hotel then
                    is just around the corner.

                    I will do a toast to this fine group, while enjoying a fine beer ;-)

                    --
                    greetingZ
                    Uwe