Re: Z scale and "accurate" rail

  • Adrian T. Wymann
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2004
      Reynard

      You're perfectly right, of course, concerning those huge black boxes
      next to Marklin switches - that's probably why I'm so keen on "point-
      less" track arrangements in Z... ;-)

      As for the Boston train announcement and the wobble, I'm glad you
      saw the funny side, as intended. I got two mails off-group which
      seemed to think I was trying to put down US railroading. Which of
      course wasn't the idea at all, so my sincere apologies if others
      felt that way too. Besides, there's funny things going on
      everywhere. Not too long ago I was on a Swiss intercity train from
      Berne to St Gallen which broke the world speed record with a snap as
      the on-board announcement system went wild and announced all the
      stops of the entire journey ("we are now arriving...") with only
      short intervals, condensing an almost 3 hours journey into about two
      minutes or so. I just hoped there were no tourists on board - just
      imagine the confusion ;-)

      cheerZ everybody

      Adrian

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@m...> wrote:
      > Hello again Adrian,
      >
      > BTW, I found your note to be very funny too! I about fell
      > out of my chair laughing at the "wobble" and the Boston Station
      quote.
      > Keep it up! We need to laugh at some of this overly serious
      > worry about rail appearance. After all, these are model trains!
      >
      > regards,
      > Reynard
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
        --- "Adrian T. Wymann" <rail@...> a écrit :

        > Reynard
        >
        > You're perfectly right, of course, concerning those
        > huge black boxes
        > next to Marklin switches

        Guys, please let me remind you what is showed on David
        Karp's website: how to remove Marklin Turnouts
        mechanism.

        I've done the same on the small diorama on which I'm
        working, and it's an easy operation. And the look is
        very, very better: the only heck with these modified
        turnouts is tie spacing not matching US prototype, but
        with this it's the same than Marklin / Peco track, and
        curved rails beyond frog on diverging track (as it is
        straight on prototype). But anyway like this they have
        a fair looking.

        Of course it's a little expensive as you have to
        replace the original mechanism with a Tortoise or sthg
        like this, but it's worth to do it.

        Cheers,

        Dominique

      • Tom Fisher
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2004
          Could you post the URL?

          --- de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...>
          wrote:

          > --- "Adrian T. Wymann" <rail@...> a �crit�:
          >

          > > Reynard
          > >
          > > You're perfectly right, of course, concerning
          > those
          > > huge black boxes
          > > next to Marklin switches
          >
          > Guys, please let me remind you what is showed on
          > David
          > Karp's website: how to remove Marklin Turnouts
          > mechanism.
          >
          > I've done the same on the small diorama on which I'm
          > working, and it's an easy operation. And the look is
          > very, very better: the only heck with these modified
          > turnouts is tie spacing not matching US prototype,
          > but
          > with this it's the same than Marklin / Peco track,
          > and
          > curved rails beyond frog on diverging track (as it
          > is
          > straight on prototype). But anyway like this they
          > have
          > a fair looking.
          >
          > Of course it's a little expensive as you have to
          > replace the original mechanism with a Tortoise or
          > sthg
          > like this, but it's worth to do it.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Dominique
          >

          > Vous manquez d�espace pour stocker vos mails ?
          > Yahoo! Mail vous offre GRATUITEMENT 100 Mo !
          > Cr�ez votre Yahoo! Mail sur
          > http://fr.benefits.yahoo.com/
          >
          > Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arriv� ! D�couvrez
          > toutes les nouveaut�s pour dialoguer instantan�ment
          > avec vos amis. A t�l�charger gratuitement sur
          > http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
        • de Champeaux Dominique
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
            --- Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> a écrit :
            > Could you post the URL?

            http://www.zscale.org/articles/undertable.html

          • Greg McAndrews
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
              Hi all,

              I have had the pleasure of seeing Dominique's diorama and he has made a
              convert of me.

              Once you take the "knife" to those black boxes...you will never look
              back. If you hesitate, practice on some abused turnouts with burned out
              solenoids.

              The difference is dramatic. It is a pity that Märklin doesn't just sell
              the basic turnout without the box.

              Greg McAndrews

              > You're perfectly right, of course, concerning those
              > huge black boxes
              > next to Marklin switches

              Guys, please let me remind you what is showed on David
              Karp's website: how to remove Marklin Turnouts
              mechanism.

              I've done the same on the small diorama on which I'm
              working, and it's an easy operation. And the look is
              very, very better: the only heck with these modified
              turnouts is tie spacing not matching US prototype, but
              with this it's the same than Marklin / Peco track, and
              curved rails beyond frog on diverging track (as it is
              straight on prototype). But anyway like this they have
              a fair looking.

              Of course it's a little expensive as you have to
              replace the original mechanism with a Tortoise or sthg
              like this, but it's worth to do it.

              Cheers,

              Dominique

              Le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger est arrivé ! Découvrez toutes les nouveautés
              pour dialoguer instantanément avec vos amis. A télécharger gratuitement
              sur http://fr.messenger.yahoo.com

              "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small
              DoseZ!

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
                --- Greg McAndrews <mcandrew@...> a écrit :
                > Hi all,
                >
                > I have had the pleasure of seeing Dominique's
                > diorama and he has made a
                > convert of me.

                Thanks for the advertisement Greg! But I don't want
                to be taken for the "Doctor Turnout"! I've only
                followed David Karp's instructions.
                Cheers,
                Dominique

              • Torsja
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2004
                  After Dominique reminded me of the nice website of David Karp's
                  http://www.zscale.org/articles/undertable.html I decided
                  that the motor on the Marklin Z-Scale turnouts is not so pretty. So
                  I went to work on one that was already installed on my Needle Eye
                  ZMOD. I used the knife to cut out the motor from the turnout and
                  pleased it under the layout instead. I think the result was so much
                  better. And it actually was very easy to do this modification. And
                  with use of the original motor from Marklin it is relative cheap to
                  use instead of buying a new turtle motor. Used Markline turnouts are
                  not so hard to by cheap on the internet.

                  I will let the pictures on my website speak for them self.
                  http://194.143.113.189/tjm/

                  regards
                  Torsja - Norway

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, de Champeaux Dominique