Toy Trains up to My Z today.

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
      Well the railroad to happieness is paved with relatives
      kindness, Christmas and Birthday gift kindness to be exact.
      First model train was an H.O. Santa Fe starter set from Tyco.
      The old circle of track, a few cars and a box with signs and
      telephone poles. With a little brother in the house it didn't
      last long!
      Next train was an odd affair from the Toy Dept at Monkey Wards.
      In a small blue plastic box with a clear lid came a little
      N-scale steam engine with a boxcar and a caboose that ran on
      Nickel-Silver track that had PINK crossties! The power was
      supplied by a nine volt battery that was controlled by a
      thumbwheel on a rheosstat built into the side of the box.
      Used to love to take it to friends houses and amaze their dads!
      Paid for that one with birthday money.
      Next I started building a small N-scale layout with money
      from shoveling snow, cutting grass, painting my Great Aunt's
      house and the ever great Money-In-A-Card birthday system.
      Had a nice oval with a siding. Then I started reading about
      Z-scale in Model Railroader, Got a couple of catalogs by mail.
      Passed the N-scale layout to little brother.
      Made out my christmas wish list that year by the catalog.
      Sent aunts, uncles, grandparents copies of the order blank
      with what I wanted already filled out. No socks, undies
      or dumb sweaters for me that Christmas! Luckly I had 2 grandfathers
      that had worked for different railroads and a great-uncle who
      worked at a railroad museum so that was a very happy christmas.
      Didn't have an engine, just a few cars and track.
      Finally after high school when I had my first job I was
      finally able to buy a Marklin Starter kit with the infamous
      8801 steamer. Had a great time running that till I went away
      to Aviation School. While I was gone the "little brother"
      found the set and appropriated the blue transformer for his
      electronics projects!
      Came home and found my lil 8801 hada burned out motor. Put the
      trains away for years, Had an N-scale layout under the tree at
      Christmas.
      Then one magic day a little 2 y/o boy into Thomas the Tank
      engine spotted the Starter set box, fascinated by the picture
      of a tiny steam engine in a walnut shell that he wanted to see.
      So a tiny little steam engine recived a blue paint job and a white
      face, was carried around by a happy little boy and his daddy scoured
      hobby shops in town and the internet to start a z-scale layout.
      Three years later I have a nice little layout in my workshed
      and a 5 y/o train nut in the house! ;)
    • michael
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
        Scott,

        That's a great story! Is that blue, happy-faced 8801 up and
        running? There's no miniumum age for the little ones to get into
        model trains.

        We've been quite busy playing trains with our own 3-
        year-old train nut. He's a bit odd in that he'd rather play
        with "high speed trains" such as "ICE, streamliners and bullet
        trains."

        He goes so bonkers over the stuff that we baked him an N-
        scale layout for his third bday just this past May: got one of
        those N-scale Kato bullet trains and had it running on his layout-
        cake. Bridge, tunnel, lake (with fish), station, rock quarry, apple
        orchard... it was a heap of fun as we made EVERYTHING edible except
        the train/track/candles. We did all of this prep work and it got
        demolished in a few minutes!
        [Here's a link to the pics if you want to see what it looked like...
        http://www.tuason.org/PHOTOS/2004Alec3rdBirthday/ ]

        Keep on training!

        -m

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
          Hello Michael,

          > we baked him an N- scale layout

          Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the pictures, and
          I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if we
          copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
          permission to do so ;-) )

          --
          Greetings from Germany

          Uwe
        • michael
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
            Hello Uwe,

            Permission? None needed :)! I encourage you to do so, and I can
            pass you more details on what was used for trees, water etc, if it
            will help. I used the 9V battery case from the Marklin 81520 set
            for the controller. I had a grander vision for the final design -
            bridged PWM battery controller, sugar-glass light pipes for the
            station lanterns (using LEDs underneath) etc. - but pulled back
            considerably as it went, for we returned from a major trip just two
            days before the birthday party.

            Hello to you in Germany! I will be out that way in a couple of
            weeks for work. Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?

            Cheers,

            -michael

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
            > Hello Michael,
            >
            > > we baked him an N- scale layout
            >
            > Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the pictures,
            and
            > I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if we
            > copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
            > permission to do so ;-) )
            >
            > --
            > Greetings from Germany
            >
            > Uwe
          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
              Hello Michael,

              > Permission? None needed :)!

              THX :-)

              > Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?

              Sorry, but this is an information I need myself, since I'm in Munich
              in Octobeer <-- oooppps, wishful thinking?
              But seriously, I'm from Northern Germany near Hamburg. I will be in
              Munich from October 8th to 11th for a long relaxing weekend, and I
              haven't been there before.

              --
              Greetings
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
                Michael
                One thing I found for Z was the department stores across the square
                from the main train station. They have large "toy" sections that
                include model trains. They might not have the "Christmas displays"
                out yet as they aren't MBA driven like the stores here are.
                Ed Scullin

                SNIP
                > Hello to you in Germany! I will be out that way in a couple of
                > weeks for work. Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich
                > area?
                >

                > Cheers,
                >

                > -michael
                >

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                > > Hello Michael,
                > >
                > > > we baked him an N- scale layout
                > >
                > > Well, that's what I would call a great idea. I loved the
                > pictures,
                > and
                > > I'm wondering if we are just showing those to my 6y/o son, or if
                > we
                > > copy the idea to his next birthday :-) (If you give us the
                > > permission to do so ;-) )
                > >
                > > --
                > > Greetings from Germany
                > >
                > > Uwe

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • jmac_han
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Hi Gang,

                  The easiest way for me to answer the question regarding HSS's in
                  Munich is to share my report of the whirlwind tour from the VEC
                  Faszination Modellbau AdventureZ in 2002. Note: you'll have to
                  join VECRR to see the photos but the hobby shops are identified in
                  the text. Enjoy!

                  Jeffrey

                  ******************

                  Episode 20: HSS's in Munich

                  Munich, Wednesday March 27, 2002.

                  Warning: lots of links!

                  There is nothing I like more than to go hobby shop hopping with
                  Terry Sutfin.
                  With Jeremy Brandon's help we were hoping to make several stops
                  during the day
                  but first we had promised ourselves a guided city tour to get our
                  general
                  bearings and to see the major landmarks.

                  The three of us enjoyed a 1-hour English-German tour with the Yellow
                  Cab Tour
                  Lines. The guide was very animated and informative moving from one
                  language to
                  the other without taking a breath!

                  Thanks to the tour we had a better feeling of the layout of the city
                  and its
                  major attractions including the palace, the golden angel, the
                  English garden,
                  the twin 15th century church towers and the opera house...

                  Once back on solid ground, we were off and hunting for HSs. The
                  biggest and
                  easiest to find was Fischers which had a huge sign along the
                  boulevard. It was
                  hard to miss.

                  The entrance held a surprise for Terry and me. Jeremy and Manfred had
                  installed, in the main floor, an operating HO display. Customers
                  walked right
                  over the moving trains that were on a shuttle circuit. Jeremy wasn't
                  happy
                  because one of the two trains seemed to be stuck.

                  The second floor of this modern store was devoted to trains, RC and
                  plastic
                  kits. The displays were well done and the Z selection was reasonable
                  although
                  limited to the 2001 items.

                  The store had a clean WC which we all promptly put to good use in
                  preparation
                  for a full day of HSS's.

                  The next stop took us across the street (via an underground plaza)
                  to Obletters
                  Toy Store. I like a city that has two major toy stores across from
                  each other!

                  The train section was very well stocked in more unusual and hard to
                  find items.
                  They had Noch pre-formed N-Z layouts in several sizes and a good
                  selection of
                  plastic kits from Faller, Vollmer and Kibri. Another surprise was
                  the fact
                  that Obletter's was having a sale on Marklin Z! Too bad I didn't
                  model DB
                  because there were some very nice specials. Jeremy was especially
                  interested
                  in one loco in the 'Sale' case.

                  I picked up a Marklin presentation
                  pack (you know, the one with the little blue 0-6-0 and car in the
                  plastic
                  case). It happened to be the only one in stock and it was on special
                  too! I
                  now had my 'official' Marklin souvenir from the trip :-) and it cost
                  me less
                  than a replacement 5 pole motor and chassis for my venerable 0-6-0
                  steamer.

                  SNIP

                  Faced with the paucity of Z scale
                  items in the hobby shops we had seen so far, I decided to widen the
                  scope of my
                  hunt. I announced that HOn30 would also be fun to look for,
                  especially Bemo.
                  Remembering that magnificent mallet Bemo had shown in Sinsheim, I
                  wondered if
                  it actually might be on a shelf somewhere in town. Jeremy knew of a
                  couple of
                  places that might fit the bill.

                  Herr Bauer's shop was full of LGB and Bemo. He informed me that the
                  mallet in
                  question would not be available until the Fall of 2002. Just as well
                  for my
                  wallet in any case.

                  Wagner EuroTrains was a wonderful shop that offered US prototype in
                  HO and N.
                  This was the only store where we found Micro-Trains Line products.
                  The only Z
                  items to be found were some metal vehicles that were priced higher
                  than their
                  weight in gold. I did plunk down some Euros for a Roco HOe 0-6-0 to
                  keep my
                  wife's collection up-to-date.

                  Although we didn't visit this shop with Jeremy we did manage to find
                  it with a
                  little help from Model Railroader Magazine. Terry had brought along
                  the
                  address and we managed to spot it from the opposite side of the
                  street, not far
                  from Fischers. The store reminded me a lot of US mom and pop shops.
                  It was
                  grungy, disorganized, pricey and the owner didn't show any sign of
                  interest in
                  us. Just like home! There was a very small amount of Z, nothing to
                  write home
                  about, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. My advice: if you're in
                  Munich,
                  don't waste your time with this place, unless you're homesick!

                • michael
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
                    Jeffrey,

                    Thank you for the detailed information (PLUS PHOTOS!). Don't know
                    how much play-time I'll have there, but now I am armed with a map and
                    recon photos for a surgical strike if that is all I end up having
                    time for.

                    BTW, hello again! I met you once, briefly, at Utrecht Eurospoor '03
                    during my last business trip out that way. I hadn't much time then,
                    but was able to sneak out to the show for a few hours and take in
                    some of its vastness. The main reason I went that way that day was
                    to see the legendary VECRR in person. Incredible piece of moving
                    artwork!

                    Though I only saw a total of three Z layouts there (which, by the
                    way, was three more than any I had ever seen at any of the local
                    shows in NoCal), I was astounded by the amount of Z that was being
                    traded! The hardest thing for me during that entire trip was to
                    force myself out that door to catch the train to Amsterdam for the
                    return flight that day :)

                    -m
                  • michael
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 5, 2004
                      Uwe,

                      Just a quick note to let you know that I was able to spend a few hours
                      in Munich before my return trip to the states.

                      I went to Fischers and Obletter's and it was worth it...

                      I was at the Munich Airport early Wed. (9/22) morning and found that
                      I had some time to kill before my afternoon Lufthansa flight for SFO.
                      I checked my baggage into a locker at the airport and then hopped
                      onto the S-Bahn for the 45miniute ride to the main Munich train
                      station (hauptbahnhof).
                      Nice ride with lots of trainspotting along the way. When I got
                      there - WOW.
                      I was in ICEHeaven; there was a nonstop stream of ICE2, ICET, ICE3, I
                      had never seen so many ICE trains before! I pulled out my MiniDV
                      camera and just sat there filming for almost an hour straight.
                      Afterwards, I went outside of the station and hopped onto the tram to
                      the next station and went to Obletter's and Fischers. Just as
                      described - they are literally across the street from each other!
                      Both are nice shops - Fischers had a much larger area dedicated to
                      trains but both were very well stocked.
                      I was a bit bummed when I started asking for a gear for my 8871 and I
                      was told that it was only a special order part. (I suspected as such,
                      but thought I'd ask anyway:)

                      Anyway - hope you get to play some when you're there later this week!

                      regards,

                      Michael Tuason

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@f...> wrote:
                      > Hello Michael,
                      >
                      > > Permission? None needed :)!
                      >
                      > THX :-)
                      >
                      > > Do you know of any good Z shops in the Munich area?
                      >
                      > Sorry, but this is an information I need myself, since I'm in Munich
                      > in Octobeer <-- oooppps, wishful thinking?
                      > But seriously, I'm from Northern Germany near Hamburg. I will be in
                      > Munich from October 8th to 11th for a long relaxing weekend, and I
                      > haven't been there before.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Greetings
                      > Uwe
                    • Uwe Liermann
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 6, 2004
                        Hello Michael,

                        THX for the update on Munich train stores. Last night I checked
                        Jeffrey's story about his tour to Munich in 2002, and then got a map
                        where I marked the stores in Munich. I also found an address for a
                        third store:

                        Alexanders Modellbahn

                        it is also situated at the same street as Fischers. I will have a look
                        there too.

                        Since the flying is the fastest way, and did cost much less than car
                        or train, I admit that I don't use the ICE from Hamburg to Munich. So
                        I will do the same trip to the Main station in Munich. Our hotel then
                        is just around the corner.

                        I will do a toast to this fine group, while enjoying a fine beer ;-)

                        --
                        greetingZ
                        Uwe