Help! Connecting Controller to Track?

  • pbartonluttenton
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 10:04 PM
      Anyone out there (It's only 10:00 in CA so there must be someone still
      up to field this question. I hope.) that can tell me how to connect a
      Micro Trains controller showing four screws on the side of the
      controller--two for DC for the track and two other ones (AC for other
      stuff)to a Marklin track gizmo--a short piece of straight track with a
      flat plastic/metal connector sticking off on each side of which are
      two little springy tabs each encircling a loop through which I assume
      wire is passed and held in place by the springy tabs. Do I need TWO
      pieces of small gauge wire one from each of the two DC screws on the
      controller to each of the two springy clips on the track connector? Or
      something else? I am at a loss and feeling stupid and frustrated.

      Paula
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2 10:25 PM
        Paula:

        > Anyone out there (It's only 10:00 in CA so there must be someone still
        > up to field this question. I hope.)

        Its only 12:18am in Houston, I'll give it a try. <smile>

        > Do I need TWO
        > pieces of small gauge wire one from each of the two DC screws on the
        > controller to each of the two springy clips on the track connector? Or
        > something else?

        Yes. You will need two separate pieces of wire long enough to reach from the
        controller to the Marklin power track section. Each screw on the DC output
        needs to have a wire going to one of the spring clips on the track section. If
        you are using stranded wire, watch for stray strands (called "whiskers" by
        most folks) of the wire touching the other screw head or spring clip. That
        would short out the power pack. The rails need to have both a minus (-) and a
        plus (+) wire connected up for a train to run.

        Your wire cannot be too big. But if its too little, you may experience poor
        speed regulation of the locomotive. And worse things if you should
        accidentally short out the rails with a pair of pliers. If you have any stranded wire
        slightly smaller than the lead in a wood pencil (not counting the insulation
        around the wire), that would be really great. Any wire you have would work
        tonight just to try things out.

        If you layout is small, and the transformer is only a foot or so away, stop
        by Radio Shack tomorrow and pick up some 22 AWG stranded wire.

        DO NOT connect the AC terminals on the power pack to ANY piece of track,
        ever. Those terminals are for powering turnouts, lighting and other accessories.

        Does this help?

        Bill K.
        Houston