Thank you note to Eric Smith, Micro-Trains Line

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
      Hi Gang,

      I would like to publicly congratulate Micro-Trains
      Line for listening to Z-scalers over the past couple
      of years. I have personally seen a concrete shift in
      development and production priorities at MTL just as
      Eric Smith, CEO of MTL, indicated in his October 2003
      interview published in Scale Rails Magazine. At that
      time he clearly stated that MTL was actively polling
      Z-scalers for product ideas. He also told me that MTL
      would begin gearing up Z production in 2004 once their
      investment in their new N-scale FT tooling was
      generating positive cash flows.

      Even in uncertain economic times, Eric has kept his
      word and introduced a highly regarded new entry into
      the Z rolling stock arena, their Gunderson container
      car (now in its second release). Their monthly Z
      releases are up from 2 to 4 cars.

      MTL has also identified their long-awaited second
      locomotive, a GP35, and a time frame for production,
      Summer 2005. If all goes well, MTL plans to introduce
      this loco to the world at NTS2005 in Cincinnati, Ohio
      next July. On a medium term horizon, MTL has targeted
      the Fall of 2005 for their track system. That isn't
      all that far off.

      Now, for MTL to continue to produce new car styles and
      develop new locomotives and TRACK, they need to sell
      their production quickly, amortize their tooling costs
      and generate cash flow in their Z product lines. This
      should encourage Eric Smith to accelerate the roll out
      of MTL's Z strategy. Why? because they'll be making
      money doing so.

      How can Z-scalers help MTL satisfy our desires?
      First, buy their products and continue to share give
      MTL feedback and suggestions. Second, continue to
      take Z to the public and to fellow model railroaders
      through community events like train shows and through
      the media. Talk about Z with your mrring buddies,
      take Z to the local train show, contact other Zeds
      about starting a module group in your locality and
      write articles for the mainstream model railroading
      press such as Model Railroader, Railroad Model
      Craftsman, Scale Rails, N-Scale Magazine, your
      divisional or regional NMRA newsletter etc. There are
      lots of ways to increase the viZibility of Z. The
      goal is to grow the market so that MTL and our other Z
      manufacturers can find a ready and profitable market
      for their products.

      Oh, and let MTL know how much we appreciate their
      efforts on behalf of Z ;-)

      Keep up the good work, Micro-Trains and long live
      Z-scale.

      CheerZ,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      Chief Imagineer - Val Ease Central RR
      Exporail - Canadian Railroad Museum

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
        Jeffrey,

        I cannot agree more. Micro-Trains has made a commitment to our scale, it is
        very much appreciated. I know for many, the new items cannot come fast enough.
        But at least they are coming. It seems like every month, we have another
        surprise from the Z manufacturers. It just keeps getting better and better. And
        trust me, much, much more is on the way.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • jim_manley_alpha_six
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
          GreetingZ Jeffrey and All OtherZ Still Awake at this Hour,

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey MacHan <jmac_han@y...> wrote:

          > How can Z-scalers help MTL satisfy our desires?
          > First, buy their products and continue to share give
          > MTL feedback and suggestions.

          OK, the TTX Gunderson HuskieZ sold out at MTL to the dealerZ within a
          week, and at the (on-line?) dealerZ within about ten dayZ. The BN
          HuskieZ sold out at MTL to the dealerZ the _first_day_ they were
          available - and I'm guessing it's already getting hard to find any to
          buy from (on-line?) dealerZ in any number. Is that fast enough for
          MTL??? They'd better make enough GeepZ, or there are going to be a
          bunch of irate guyZ 'n galZ out here in ConsumerLand.

          At NTS 2004, I did get to talk for a good while with Eric Smith of
          MTL, thanking him profusely for everything recent and coming in Z,
          such as the HuskieZ, the Geeps and sectional track/turnoutZ, etc. I
          also passed along your greetingZ - the snazzy black hat with the VECRR
          logo gave me instant credibility with all of the big-wigZ at the show
          (I also talked for a while with Märklin USA honcho Fred GateZ). I
          felt like veteran White House reporter Helen Thomas - well, before she
          got sent to the back of the class for asking too many hard questions.
          However, the dress is killing me, not to mention the bra and girdle -
          I don't know how the GalZ put up with this stuff! :)

          The BoyZ in Seattle are kickin' butt and takin' national awardZ,
          Melissa and the KidZ appear to be well on their way to getting some
          moduleZ in front of the General Publick, the East CoastieZ are
          continuing to expand their selection of moduleZ, the TexanZ are
          putting out great award-winning moduleZ, otherZ I'm forgetting
          elZewhere are surely moving forward, and uZ BAZtahdZ are at least
          talking a good game. Robert Ray is well into the foam and track
          laying, I now have collapsible legZ for my miniModuleZ that fit into
          my 22-inch rollaboard airline bag along with the miniModuleZ, and Ted
          now has a nice, empty two-car garage big enough in which to set
          everything up, as we work toward our intended November coming out at a
          local GATS.

          Life iZ great in ZeeLand, and getting even better every day, if not
          every hour. Today the showZ, tomorrow, the World!

          All Z BeZt,
          Jim
        • Arjen
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jim_manley_alpha_six"
            <jim_manley@h...> wrote:
            > Life iZ great in ZeeLand, and getting even better every day, if not
            > every hour. Today the showZ, tomorrow, the World!

            Jim,

            You might like to know there is a province in this country that is
            actually called 'Zeeland'. Unfortunately that is dutch for 'Sea-
            land' and has nothing to do with model railroading.

            Still, New Zealand was named after Zeeland, but mis-spelled by the
            british.

            Arjen Gerstel
            Utrecht (about an hour from Zeeland)
            Netherlands
          • d.f.avila@att.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
              ..just bought a Marklin specialty Z car form one of your "neighbors" in [is it ??] Doetinchem. Everything transpired on the Internet should go so well. The item was better than advertised and the shipping service was FAST.

              ...don

              -------------- Original message from "Arjen" : --------------

              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jim_manley_alpha_six"
              > wrote:
              > > Life iZ great in ZeeLand, and getting even better every day, if not
              > > every hour. Today the showZ, tomorrow, the World!
              >
              > Jim,
              >
              > You might like to know there is a province in this country that is
              > actually called 'Zeeland'. Unfortunately that is dutch for 'Sea-
              > land' and has nothing to do with model railroading.
              >
              > Still, New Zealand was named after Zeeland, but mis-spelled by the
              > british.
              >
              > Arjen Gerstel
              > Utrecht (about an hour from Zeeland)
              > Netherlands

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Robert Ray
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Arjen" <arjen.gerstel@x> wrote:

                > > Life iZ great in ZeeLand, and getting even better every day, if not
                > > every hour. Today the showZ, tomorrow, the World!

                > Arjen Gerstel
                > Utrecht (about an hour from Zeeland)
                > Netherlands

                Ahh Zeeland! Sounds like my kind of place. Is that where the "Water
                Works" project is? I worked in Veldhoven for 9 months and never made
                it there, and that was only an hour or so away.

                -Robert