N versus Zscale/low speed switching

  • WBolt1809@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 1999
      Answer to: rgrathe@... (Ron Rathe) .....or his neighbour......

      from: WBolt@...

      Hi, Rob !

      I cannot talk/write/judge about N, so here are me comments concerning Z:

      Slow speed operations/switching requires:

      --- excellent transformers
      --- clean tracks (....)
      --- good engines (5-pole or coreless)

      Without notice (!) Maerklin has issued 2 locos, cat-item 88431, an e-loco,
      BR-143 and cat-item 81416, a steamer (2-8-2) being part of this train set,
      BR-86 with a 5-pole motor, giving by far better and smoother slow-speed
      qualities.

      About MT locos, I can confirm that all F-7 locos have excellent slow-speed
      and pulling qualities - better than nearly 100% of the Maerklin locos. This
      is due to higher weight and different motors used ! What I cannot judge is,
      whether F-7s are "in style" for operating as switchers.

      MT couplers are much better "in style" (realistic) than Maerklin ones. Well
      adjusted, the "magnematic" couplers perform very well.

      I am sure, you will get much more input about this topic from our US-Heads !

      Best regards and few hurricanes over the weekend !

      Wolfgang
    • stevew@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 1999
        Low speed switching can be done in Z. A MT F-7 with clean wheels and clean
        track is all that you need! I did wire two MT F-7s together which makes for
        a great switching setup, there's a brief article on my web site at
        http://www.usaz.net After having been in N for about 10 years I'm not at
        all disappointed with Z.

        Steve W