Removable Track Connection & Alignment

  • zbarr474
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      To all:

      I will have to have a section of removable track lift out of my
      layout. I would assume that aligning the track when I put the
      section back in would be the same as aligning two modules.

      Can anyone point me to some diagrams and/or photos as to how two
      modules are aligned and the track connected.

      Thanks.

      ...don
    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
        >I would assume that aligning the track when I put the
        >section back in would be the same as aligning two modules.

        I would not suggest connecting the same way as modules do. Generally,
        modules are connected with short pieces of track - [Maerklin makes some
        that telescope!!] but you wouldn't want this at a duckunder... Power the
        bridge separatly and devise a different method of alligning the
        track....believe me, you don't want to mess with those short track peices
        everytime you leave/enter the room...

        One idea is touched on here:

        http://www.trains.com/community/forum/topic.asp?page=-1&TOPIC_ID=18798&REPLY_ID=168923

        There was a Model RailRoader Magazine article about a really cool one using
        doorknob hardware to latch in... It must have been two+ years ago.

        You could also model a Lift Bridge - like this:
        http://www.pipcom.com/~tempus/trains/scherzer.html

        Here is some good info on electrically powering it:
        http://www.thortrains.net/maracc0.html

        I'd say the biggest thing is to have a sectionn of "dead track" right
        before each end of the bridge when it is removed. So a train CAN NOT
        accidentally fall off. {train reaches unpowered section immediately prior
        to lifted out section and stalls) You would think it wouldn't happen, I
        realize, but neither did I.

      • zbendtrack@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
          Don:

          > I will have to have a section of removable track lift out of my
          > layout.

          How often will you be removing this section? As a matter of routine, or just
          every once in a while?

          Bill K.
          Houston

        • d.f.avila@att.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
            Ah, thank you. The dead track is one I hadn't thought of. I like "I didn't think it could happen, either" -- Murphy's Law I guess. Bill K from Houston also had a way of aligning using a DB25 connector, but that seems akward for what I need. I'll try to find the old Model RR -- but if anyone has a couple of modules being connected, I'd surely like to see a photo of the track connectors.

            I don't have a duck-under situation, but a "Re-rail my crashed trains" I'm building a 4x8 with several levels and no way to get in underneath, so I will HAVE to be able to remove part of the upper levels -- hopefully rarely. ...don

            -------------- Original message from ted_lamar@...: --------------

          • d.f.avila@att.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
              See my e-mail I JUST sent out. I have the photos you took a couple of months ago, but the DB25 could be a bear to disconnect since I don't have a folding situation. OTOH I had not though of using a liftbridge. ...don

              -------------- Original message from zbendtrack@...: --------------

            • zbendtrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
                Don:

                > OTOH I had not though of using a liftbridge

                Using DB25 connectors (and several other types of connectors) aligned
                vertically at each end of a removable bridge section -- have been used for years in
                many scales.

                Your connector of choice should consider both electrical needs as well as
                mechanical alignment (how do you fasten the connector to the bridge and
                stationary surfaces -- and will it hold the rails aligned without rail joiners -- will
                it wobble when mated -- etc.).

                Good luck on the project!

                Bill K.
                Houston

              • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
                  >I like "I didn't think it could happen, either"

                  It's funny when I think about it now, too.

                  But seeing that E8 A-B followed by 8 streamlined passenger cars carreening
                  off the end wasn't funny at the time. I had hard wood floors - so it
                  sounded really bad too. The train suffered less damage than I expected -
                  but more than I wanted :)

                  This was way back when HO was still cool - so a while ago :)

                  I'm still looking for atricles on lifouts - but it sounds like you really
                  need something different - more like removable scenery etc.

                • d.f.avila@att.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
                    ..well at this DESIGN/Track laying stage I can remove "anything" BUT I need a method to realign some tracks after I remove the stuff. I'm building on foam, so need something that will last. Obviously I can start off by gluing a plywood panel material down in the track area/end of a bridge, but I'm looking for something that I can sort of "pop off" and "pop on", but will have detailed track alignment. Electrical is the easy [I Think] part to pick up.