Covered hopper history

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
      Zeds,

      Recently (well, relatively recently, I'm way behind on reading the
      digests that are accumulating in my account), someone made the assertion
      that covered hoppers did not come into use until the 1950s. Wrong!
      Railroads experimented with them in the late 1800s and early 1900s. As an
      example, ACF (read American Car Foundry 1899-1999 by Kaminsky) built a
      covered hopper as early as 1911 and went into full scale production in
      1935. This is the reason I cannot believe that MicroTrains refuses to
      produce this body style in Z.

      Moreover, the short cars are still in use because much of the cargo
      carried is high density. You can't find 40' boxcars often today, if at
      all, but 35' covered hoppers are still common. Come on, MicroTrains, wake
      up!

      Malcolm Z
    • harold grady
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
        Hi folks, I agree so very much with Malcolm about MTL's shortsightedness in not
        producing a z scale ACF covered hopper. They would have a massive hit. Grain
        cars are very popular, in fact hoppers of any kind seem to be very popular.
        But the z scale knight in shining armor is riding to our rescue folks (Alan Borg)
        When his ACF hoppers hit the market look out WOWIE KaZOWIE.
        It is the day I'm holding my breath for. Wall street will rebound with joyous cries
        of you did it son.
        Allan Borgs most staunchest fan Harold Grady

        Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:
        Zeds,

        Recently (well, relatively recently, I'm way behind on reading the
        digests that are accumulating in my account), someone made the assertion
        that covered hoppers did not come into use until the 1950s. Wrong!
        Railroads experimented with them in the late 1800s and early 1900s. As an
        example, ACF (read American Car Foundry 1899-1999 by Kaminsky) built a
        covered hopper as early as 1911 and went into full scale production in
        1935. This is the reason I cannot believe that MicroTrains refuses to
        produce this body style in Z.

        Moreover, the short cars are still in use because much of the cargo
        carried is high density. You can't find 40' boxcars often today, if at
        all, but 35' covered hoppers are still common. Come on, MicroTrains, wake
        up!

        Malcolm Z

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Randy Smidt
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
          Folks, why all the MTL bashing again? Yes a covered hopper would be great for them to make, and so would a modern tank and so would a bunch of other rolling. Be patient. They are releasing new models this year and next and probably more after that. It takes a good while to bring new products to market, even for a big manufacturer. When MTL came to a local train show in VA earlier in the year they were even passing out questionaires asking for feedback on what rolling stock people wanted to see. I got the distinct impression that they plan to start paying more attention to Z scale. Be patient folks, we aren't going to get 10 new pieces of rolling stock overnight. I am encouraged though that maybe some of the new small manufacturers we are seeing pop up will put some pressure on MTL to develop products a little faster.

          Instead of complaining to the list that MTL hasn't released something yet, take Loren's suggestion and e-mail MTL with your thoughts. You may not get an immediate reponse that they are releasing what you want tomorrow, but I think they are listening more and more to what we want.

          Randy Smidt
          Clifton, VA

[...]

        • Vincent Goudreault
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
            > Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:06:12 -0500 (CDT)
            > From: Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...>
            > Subject: Covered hopper history
            >
            > Zeds,
            >
            > Recently (well, relatively recently, I'm way behind on reading the
            > digests that are accumulating in my account), someone made the assertion
            > that covered hoppers did not come into use until the 1950s. Wrong!
            > Railroads experimented with them in the late 1800s and early 1900s. As an
            > example, ACF (read American Car Foundry 1899-1999 by Kaminsky) built a
            > covered hopper as early as 1911 and went into full scale production in
            > 1935. This is the reason I cannot believe that MicroTrains refuses to
            > produce this body style in Z.
            >
            > Moreover, the short cars are still in use because much of the cargo
            > carried is high density. You can't find 40' boxcars often today, if at
            > all, but 35' covered hoppers are still common. Come on, MicroTrains, wake
            > up!
            >
            > Malcolm Z

            Why must it be MicroTrains? What is Pennzee up to these days? Perhaps they
            can
            take care of that, modifying and expanding on their coalporter. Further,
            couldn't
            Pennzee convert their reefers into modern over-size (the ones with a white
            painted
            portion at the top to indicate higher than usual cars) box cars?

            Pennzee has shown they can produce very good quality, affordable cars;
            fuirther they
            had the runners in mind as opposed to the collector, since they issued 4
            road number
            of anything thay made. Does anyone know what Pennzee is up to these days?

            CBVG
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
              --- Randy Smidt <RSmidt@...> a écrit :
              > When MTL came to a
              > local train show in VA earlier in the year they were
              > even passing out questionaires asking for feedback
              > on what rolling stock people wanted to see. I got
              > the distinct impression that they plan to start
              > paying more attention to Z scale. I am encouraged
              > though that maybe
              > some of the new small manufacturers we are seeing
              > pop up will put some pressure on MTL to develop
              > products a little faster.
              >
              > I think they are listening more
              > and more to what we want.

              And I believe that Eric Smith, MTL's CEO, is himself a
              Z scaler....

              Best wishes,

              Dominique