Re: New layout photos

  • loren snyder
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      --- Inx The big addition was a three
      > bent trestle and lake - my first experience with making water.
      This

      Dean, The trestle and lake are a nice addition-that
      is one Zmall
      trestle !!!

      > layout was made for a family member who insisted that steam
      engines
      > are supposed to have cowcatchers on the front of them. xthis one
      has been
      > slightly "Americanized" with the addition of a cowcatcher to it.
      Her

      Come on Dean, how can you be so cruel as to "tease" us with a
      cow catcher WITHOUT taking any close ups of your work and a "how I
      did it" explanation------you owe us on that one !!! It sure looks
      good from a distance !!!
      > point was "It's MY railroad and I can run anything I want on it."

      I like the attitude of the engineer, "when you're on my
      railroad, we do it MY WAY !"
      > The layout is dual powered with a 9V battery under the big rock
      or,
      > plugging a regulated wall wart into a jack on the back disconnects
      > the battery and runs from wall
      power.
      Maybe you could draw us a picture of how you wired up the
      dual power source. >
      >The power is controlled by one
      > of Jeremy Brandon's System Joerger speed controllers. It is
      actually
      > a new prototype he provided me Sounds like Jeremy has a
      new winner on his hands--did he mention the new
      price?
      x> As always, comments and
      suggestions on improving the layout are
      > appreciated. Appreciate the pictures and the inspiration---
      -keep up the geat work Loren
    • Deane Shepard
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "loren snyder" <ljsnyder@c...> wrote:
        >> Come on Dean, how can you be so cruel as to "tease" us with
        > cow catcher WITHOUT taking any close ups of your work and a "how I
        > did it" explanation------you owe us on that one !!! It sure looks
        > good from a distance !!!

        I wish I could take credit for some fancy modeling but it is a
        Westmodel "Old Time Cowcatcher" that I bought from
        www.aspenmodel.com I had to do a little cutting and fitting and I
        bent up a small brass mounting plate so that the cowcatcher is
        actually
        fastened only to the boiler and will lift off along with the body if
        the body has to be removed to service the engine.

        I have a higher resolution version of the picture which I will send
        you (and anyone else that asks for it) directly. (I am getting ready
        to go on vacation though and won't be checking mail after Tuesday.)

        > Maybe you could draw us a picture of how you wired up the
        > dual power source.

        I used a jack from http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?
        category=190&item=DCJ-21&type=store which has a normally closed
        switch in it. It allows the battery power to pass through. When a
        plug is inserted, the switch opens and sends the power from the plug
        to the Joerger controller. I used this power supply,
        http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?
        category=480&item=PS-10&type=store, which had a plug to fit the above
        jack.

        I will send you (and anyone else that asks) a pdf file showing the
        wiring on request.

        Deane S.