System Joerger Speed Controller

  • Deane Shepard
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
      Jeremy Brandon provided me with a prototype of his new improved speed
      controller for use in my latest cigar box railroad. I am not
      qualified to technically explain it but it uses a microprocessor to
      monitor the back EMF generated by the motor and times the electrical
      pulses to the speed of the motor.

      As a user, the results are absolutely amazing. First, whether by
      design or accident it introduces a "momentum" type function. You can
      crank the thorttle up substantially to start the engine and it still
      moves off slowly and smoothly. The same is true in slowing down.
      Reducing the throttle dramtically results in a gradual drop in speed
      to the desired setting.

      The second thing it does is to give incredible slow speed
      performance. Even on the very tight track within my cigar box and on
      track work that I have to admit is NOT the best, I was able to slow
      the engine to the point that it took 1 minute and 18 seconds to
      travel the distance of 50 ties with no stalling or hesitation. I
      found a nice setting that looks good and takes about 1 1/2 minutes to
      make the approximately 23" circuit. On good track, switching
      operations should be perfectly realistic with this speed controller.

      The speed controller also has a new feature which Jeremy calls "Max
      Speed." It allows you to adjust the throttle to a given engine. You
      can set the maximum speed for that engine to a protypical maximum
      speed and then have the full range of motion of the throttle to go
      from stopped to that maximum speed. There is always someone who can
      not resist trying to turn the throttle to the maximum and watch your
      loco start to fly. With the max speed function, no more "cleared for
      ttake off on track 1."

      At Jeremy's suggestion, I used an adjustable voltage power supply
      which can be set from 3-12 volts. He recommended setting it at the
      lowest setting that gave the operation I wanted. For the cigar box
      and the 0-6-0 both th 4.5V and 7.5 V settings worked very well and
      after running the engine at a variety of speeds, there was no
      appreciable warmth when touching it to my cheek.

      Needless to say, I am VERY impressed with Jeremy's creation and can't
      wait for him to get them into production. It seems like this should
      be the speed controller for all my layouts.

      Deane S.
      Overland Park, KS
    • Ellen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2004
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Deane Shepard" <Deane@D...> wrote:

        > As a user, the results are absolutely amazing. First, whether by
        > design or accident it introduces a "momentum" type function. You
        can
        > crank the thorttle up substantially to start the engine and it
        still
        > moves off slowly and smoothly. The same is true in slowing down.
        > Reducing the throttle dramtically results in a gradual drop in
        speed
        > to the desired setting.

        Wow sounds fantastic--I need that for my travel layout

        > The second thing it does is to give incredible slow speed
        > performance. Even on the very tight track within my cigar box and
        on
        > track work that I have to admit is NOT the best, I was able to slow
        > the engine to the point that it took 1 minute and 18 seconds to
        > travel the distance of 50 ties with no stalling or hesitation. I
        > found a nice setting that looks good and takes about 1 1/2 minutes
        > make the approximately 23" circuit. On good track, switching
        > operations should be perfectly realistic with this speed controller.
        >
        > The speed controller also has a new feature which Jeremy calls "Max
        > Speed." It allows you to adjust the throttle to a given engine.
        You
        > can set the maximum speed for that engine to a protypical maximum
        > speed and then have the full range of motion of the throttle to go
        > from stopped to that maximum speed. There is always someone who
        can
        > not resist trying to turn the throttle to the maximum and watch
        your
        > loco start to fly. With the max speed function, no more "cleared
        for
        > ttake off on track 1."
        >

        > Needless to say, I am VERY impressed with Jeremy's creation and
        can't
        > wait for him to get them into production. It seems like this
        should
        > be the speed controller for all my layouts.

        I am going to be breathlessly waiting for the arrival of this new
        toy. It will be a wonderful addition to my small layouts

        > Deane S.
        > Overland Park, KS
      • Mauro and Laura
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Deane Shepard" <Deane@D...> wrote:

          > Jeremy Brandon provided me with a prototype of his new improved
          speed controller ......>
          > As a user, the results are absolutely amazing

          Wow, I have one "old" (at this point!) from Jeremy (or System
          Joerger) speed controller purchased through Ztrack and I was already
          really impressed by it's great performance at low speed, even
          without particular tracks and loco wheels cleaning !

          I was going to order some more to operate the whole section of my
          layout station and goods/loco depot, but on the basis of your
          message, I will wait for the improved controller: now I'm looking
          forward to seeing it on the market!!!

          ONE QUESTION: would it be possible to also control the tracks of the
          Marklin turntable with this speed controller instead of connecting
          the usal 2 power wires from the turntable's original control box?

          Thanks,
          Mauro.
        • fred2mm
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2004
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Deane Shepard" <Deane@D...> wrote:
            > Jeremy Brandon provided me with a prototype of his new improved speed
            > controller for use in my latest cigar box railroad. ......
            > Deane S.
            > Overland Park, KS

            Hi,
            This controller certainly seems be the answer for slow running. I have been
            having trouble with keeping the speed down for shunting even general
            running on my Nn3 layout which is going to be rebuilt as I have now retired to
            a smaller house. I am UK resident but can't find anyone here who has heard
            of it. Could you please send details so that I may try to order from USA.
            Many thanks
            fred2mm alias Charles