RE: [z_scale] GLUE for TRACK

  • Dale Wiese
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
      Don,

      You really want the kind labeled "Small Projects", and the label is red, not
      maroon. This kind does not react with foam or plastic products, and is
      intended to be permanent. The water soluble kind might cause problems when
      you ballast your track. Note I am assuming you are going for a permanent
      layout here. The 4 oz tube looks like a tube of toothpaste only a tad
      bigger. It comes on a card. You can also get it in the big cardboard tube
      meant to be used with a caulk gun, but this is not what you want for track
      work.

      To apply it, hold the opening flat against the cork, and while squeezing
      gently, move the tube along the roadbed. It will take some practice, but
      you should get a very thin layer of glue - almost transparent. If you have
      done it right it will be a good width for N or Z track, and you will not
      need to smooth it out with a tool or make a second pass. That is all you
      need to hold down track. There is no way to get it thin enough or even
      enough with the caulk gun sized tube.

      By the way, I usually knead the tube for a minute before using the top of
      the cap to pierce the opening (unscrew the cap, turn it around, and twist).
      Even then the first little bit to come out is sometimes separated, so you
      may want to have a plastic disposable dish handy to squeeze out the goo at
      he top. The cement is beige, not clear, so if there is clear goo at the
      top, definitely squeeze this out and discard it.

      This also works for laying cork or foam roadbed to your substrate. If you
      have not put roadbed in place yet, I recommend this same glue. I can lay a
      3' piece of cork roadbed in less than a minute, and rarely need pins or
      weights. Use a J roller (in the wallpaper department) to apply a gentle
      smoothing pressure to set the cement. With Z radius curves and foam
      roadbed, I found am occasional T pin or two was helpful, and some small
      weights to hold the ends down made for a flatter surface. For track, I only
      needed pins for flex, but then I needed a lot of them.

      Dale

    • d.f.avila@att.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
        ...many thanks. Back to Home Depot or Lowes. Both are close by. I get some funny looks when I buy stuff and the "friendly" clerk assures me the project will be nice when finished, but they can never figure out why I am buying so little stuff and "Z" trains means zilch to them..

        ...don

        -------------- Original message from "Dale Wiese" : --------------

        > Don,
        >
        > You really want the kind labeled "Small Projects", and the label is red, not
        > maroon. This kind does not react with foam or plastic products, and is
        > intended to be permanent. The water soluble kind might cause problems when
        > you ballast your track. [snip]

      • zbarr474
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
          Went to Home Depot and got a couple of small tubes of "Small
          Project". Many thanks for the help.

          ...don