GLUE for TRACK

  • zbarr474
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
      Does anyone have an opinion of using WOODLAND SCENICS "Foam Tack
      Glue" for gluing Z Scale track to Cork ?? On a test it seems O.K. -
      - in fact down right tenatious, but I don't know what happens
      after "1,000 years". If your comment is not good, do you have a
      suggested way ??

      Many thanks.

      ...don
    • Dale Wiese
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
        Don,

        I have been using Liquid Nails with good results. You want to use the small
        4 oz tubes, not the big caulk gun sized tubes. They make several types. I
        use the red label "Small Projects" type for gluing cork/foam roadbed to a
        wood or foam base, and track to the roadbed. I have been using this for
        about 10 years now, first on my N scale layout, and more recently on my
        wife's Z layout.

        Use a very thin bead - if it oozes up above the ties there is too much glue.
        With care, track fastened this way can be removed with a small putty knife,
        even years later. Try to let turnouts float, with no glue under them.

        Dale

      • loren snyder
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
          x, first on my N scale layout, and more recently on my
          > wife's Z layout.

          x Dale, Are you building the Z layout for your wife, or just
          helping her build her own? Would love to see some pics of your
          wife's layout. Tell her, "Way to go!" Loren
        • d.f.avila@att.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
            Thanks. I went to Home Depot yesterday and discovered about 6 types of Liquid Nails. "Cove Base"/Maroon lable is what I got mainly because it was water soluble. Is this what you meant by "red Lable" or is "Small Projects" the type similar to "cove base"?? The Woodland Scenics was just a test I tried several weeks ago but no one has mentioned it before. If "cove Base" is wrong I'll go back and get "Small Projects". How do you squirt it out if you don't use a caulking gun ?? ..and how do you clean up ??

            ...don

            -------------- Original message from "Dale Wiese" : --------------

            > Don,
            >
            > I have been using Liquid Nails with good results. You want to use the small
            > 4 oz tubes, not the big caulk gun sized tubes. They make several types. I
            > use the red label "Small Projects" type for gluing cork/foam roadbed to a
            > wood or foam base, and track to the roadbed. I have been using this for
            > about 10 years now, first on my N scale layout, and more recently on my
            > wife's Z layout.
            >
            > Use a very thin bead - if it oozes up above the ties there is too much glue.
            > With care, track fastened this way can be removed with a small putty knife,
            > even years later. Try to let turnouts float, with no glue under them.
            >
            > Dale

          • Dale Wiese
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004

              Loren,

              My wife's name is Kim, and it is definitely her layout, but I get to help.
              I am assisting where I have more experience, but I don't work on it without
              her, and I have taken great care to make sure this is her expression of a
              model rail, not mine. We actually built our first layout together while we
              were in college, on a 3x5 piece of plywood that lived in her dorm room, and
              we have built 1/2 dozen layouts over the years, but this is the first in Z,
              and the first that is really hers, rather than her helping me build mine.
              About the only thing she did not do so far is soldering feeders on the backs
              of the rail - that is tricky work, and I have had years to perfect the
              technique in N scale, where slagging a track into oblivion is not so costly.

              We spent a couple months this winter working up the plan. The layout is
              sort of an L, about 8' on one side and 6' the other. Depth is a tad over
              2'. It sits in view of her Computer, so she can run trains when working, or
              surfing.

              The construction is 2" foam with a luan backing, and Oak trim. After we
              built the base table, she laid out the 2 track main, yards, and siding. For
              a while we were able to run trains using temporary wiring, so we could be
              sure the mainline was a keeper. During this time she spent a lot of effort
              elevating areas with additional foam. She also built enough of the main
              structures to make sure the primary scene will work in the space planned for
              it.

              The primary scene is a large Cathedral on a cliff, with elements of the town
              around it. The Cathedral overlooks a river, with a 2 track main spanning it.
              The Cathedral is kitbashed using parts from several kits. Kim has a very
              clear picture in her mind of what she wants the finished scene to look like.

              The secondary scene is "urban/industrial, with a passenger station in the
              foreground and small yards behind it. A nearby trolley line connects the
              passenger station (about 1" above the base level) with a stop near the
              cathedral, which sits about 5" above the river.

              Once Kim had the scenes roughed out, we permanently laid the mainline, using
              1" woodland scenics risers as a base and foam roadbed. Kim has built a
              temporary control panel using atlas controllers, and the next step is to get
              the mainline wired to it. Someday we hope to use something like CMRI for
              control, but until then the Atlas panel will do the job.

              At that point the weather got nice, and progress slowed to a crawl. This is
              fairly typical for us - most model train progress happens between October
              and April. I do have pictures documenting the work thus far, but I doubt
              Kim will want to share them until at least some corner of the layout is more
              complete.

              Dale

            • loren snyder
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
                x>
                > At that point the weather got nice, and progress slowed to a
                crawl. This is
                > fairly typical for us - most model train progress happens between
                October
                > and April. I do have pictures documenting the work thus far, but
                I doubt
                > Kim will want to share them until at least some corner of the
                layout is more
                > complete.
                x Dale, Thank you for the fine report on Kim's layout progress.
                Whether you and Kim realize it or not, there are a lot of Z folks
                out there very interested (and impressed I would guess) in Kim's
                vision for her first layout. Kim is an inspiration to many of us
                who are "going for it" for the first time or maybe the second or
                third, or even more times. Kim needn't be afraid to post some
                photos of the early stages of her layout, since we all learn from
                every shared info item and photo shown. We'd all love to see them.
                I would also venture to guess that good weather slows down a lot of
                modelers? Congratulations on Kim's progress,
                initative and vision for the future of her layout. Great job Kim !!!
              • Dale Wiese
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 31, 2004
                  Don,

                  You really want the kind labeled "Small Projects", and the label is red, not
                  maroon. This kind does not react with foam or plastic products, and is
                  intended to be permanent. The water soluble kind might cause problems when
                  you ballast your track. Note I am assuming you are going for a permanent
                  layout here. The 4 oz tube looks like a tube of toothpaste only a tad
                  bigger. It comes on a card. You can also get it in the big cardboard tube
                  meant to be used with a caulk gun, but this is not what you want for track
                  work.

                  To apply it, hold the opening flat against the cork, and while squeezing
                  gently, move the tube along the roadbed. It will take some practice, but
                  you should get a very thin layer of glue - almost transparent. If you have
                  done it right it will be a good width for N or Z track, and you will not
                  need to smooth it out with a tool or make a second pass. That is all you
                  need to hold down track. There is no way to get it thin enough or even
                  enough with the caulk gun sized tube.

                  By the way, I usually knead the tube for a minute before using the top of
                  the cap to pierce the opening (unscrew the cap, turn it around, and twist).
                  Even then the first little bit to come out is sometimes separated, so you
                  may want to have a plastic disposable dish handy to squeeze out the goo at
                  he top. The cement is beige, not clear, so if there is clear goo at the
                  top, definitely squeeze this out and discard it.

                  This also works for laying cork or foam roadbed to your substrate. If you
                  have not put roadbed in place yet, I recommend this same glue. I can lay a
                  3' piece of cork roadbed in less than a minute, and rarely need pins or
                  weights. Use a J roller (in the wallpaper department) to apply a gentle
                  smoothing pressure to set the cement. With Z radius curves and foam
                  roadbed, I found am occasional T pin or two was helpful, and some small
                  weights to hold the ends down made for a flatter surface. For track, I only
                  needed pins for flex, but then I needed a lot of them.

                  Dale

                • d.f.avila@att.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
                    ...many thanks. Back to Home Depot or Lowes. Both are close by. I get some funny looks when I buy stuff and the "friendly" clerk assures me the project will be nice when finished, but they can never figure out why I am buying so little stuff and "Z" trains means zilch to them..

                    ...don

                    -------------- Original message from "Dale Wiese" : --------------

                    > Don,
                    >
                    > You really want the kind labeled "Small Projects", and the label is red, not
                    > maroon. This kind does not react with foam or plastic products, and is
                    > intended to be permanent. The water soluble kind might cause problems when
                    > you ballast your track. [snip]

                  • zbarr474
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
                      Went to Home Depot and got a couple of small tubes of "Small
                      Project". Many thanks for the help.

                      ...don