Re: MTL F-7s back to back

  • Mei Mei/Vincent Goudreault
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 27, 2004
      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...>
      Subject: Re: MTL F-7s back to back

      I think you are stating the conclusion which we, who
      were in a quandary understood, not focusing on the
      reason.

      I'm guessing that the "reason" is something along the
      following lines.

      For convention purposes, "forward" is toward the
      compute screen as this is being typed, "reverse" is
      toward my chair as I type this message, "right" is my
      right hand side as I set here typing, "left" is my
      left side as I sit here typing. Assume a conventional
      typing position. I'm seated in a chair right side-up
      and facing the monitor. I'm not seated backwards,
      standing on my head, etc. A track runs between the
      keyboard and the monitor. There are 2 "A" locos on
      it. Assume the right rail is positive and the left
      rail is negative.

      1. Electrons flow from the right rail into a loco's
      wheels and then into the motor.

      (...)

      Whoa, problem here. Electrons are negative, so they have to
      flow from the LEFT rail, the one that is negative, in your example.
      Note that, before the electron was discovered, and it's negative charge
      deducted, convention had that *current* flows from positive to
      negative, i.e. reverse from the electrons themselves. Thats is the only
      flaw in an otherwise very complete explanation.

      CBVG
    • Mei Mei/Vincent Goudreault