Wiring Question

  • Tina Fraser
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2004
      My husband and I went into Buki's this afternoon to scope out my next
      addition to my train set. We decided on the next track expansion
      that added 2 electrical switches and the outside loop to my extended
      track from last time. It came with the switch box, some plug
      goodies, and some extra blue and yellow wire. We also bought a nice
      little die cast train car and truck set he had in his display for
      $30. It was pretty cool.

      I got the track put together this afternoon before going to a
      friends' cookout. Came home tonight and decided to head upstairs to
      see if I could figure out the wiring for the electronic switches.
      Unfortunately I chose the first expansion (that extends the track to
      more of an oval) with the manual switches to cut down on the wiring,
      so the new set with electronic switches has kind of thrown me a bit
      in how I should set up the wiring. I am asking for help.

      The diagrams in the book are easy enough to follow for hooking the
      wires. I understand that plain enough. However, I can not attach
      both switches to the button switch box because the wires hooked to
      the track pieces are too short and the switches are too far apart.
      There is a metal piece with holes and such in the box set that I
      don't know how it is supposed to be used. Have any of you out there
      set this up before? Can you provide any help for a newbie in wiring
      these switches? How can I utilize the stuff in my track set to get
      the best setup?

      I also got the chance to meet Rob Kluz today, as he came in to show
      Buki's owner some new prototype American train he received. Very
      cool and very glad to meet him. (I would call you, Rob, and ask
      about this, but it is like 10:30 p.m. or so, and I don't much like
      calling people after 9 as a courtesy.)

      I am hoping to stop by the COZEs meeting this Tuesday sometime to say
      hi and meet some people. Maybe someone there could help me too. I
      am looking at ways to easily make a table for my train. It is
      currently up on the desk in my spare bedroom, but unfortunately, we
      will be playing roommates to one of our wayward friends who is
      needing to get his life back on track so I will need to move it down
      to our basement. Table plans would be a good thing to have I think.
      Hubby will be the one to build it.

      Anyway...hope all are enjoying the 4th weekend with friends and
      family. I had a cookout today, and have one tomorrow and Monday to
      go to, so I will be out more than in this weekend. Busy busy....
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2004
        Hello Tina,

        > track expansion that added 2 electrical switches...
        > It came with the switch box, some plug goodies, and some extra blue
        > and yellow wire.

        > Unfortunately I chose the first expansion (that extends the track to
        > more of an oval) with the manual switches to cut down on the
        > wiring...

        never mind... I think those cases that the wire on the turnout are
        long enough are pretty rare anyway... :-)

        > the wires hooked to the track pieces are too short
        between your plugs should be some as female and as male version. So
        you can just make some extension wires from them.

        > There is a metal piece with holes and such in the box set that I
        > don't know how it is supposed to be used.

        the two blue goes into the switch box. Whereas it is useful to stay at a
        scheme to do the wiring. I do it this way:

        a green plug for the wire that switches the turnout into the straight,
        in German it is _G_erade (therefore _G_reen) way, and a red plug on the
        wire for _R_ound (therefore _R_ed) way. Accordingly I use the buttons on
        the switch box. Unfortunately I didn't find a way to checkout which
        blue wire does what. So you have a 50% chance to have to change the
        plugs... (or at least the first one after trying). The switch box is
        connected to the grey contact at the transformer (in my case with a
        grey plug and a grey wire). You can connect more switch boxes side by
        side trough the metal connector at the side of the box. I've posted
        some pics in the photo section under "Wirepics"

        The yellow wire from all turnouts I collect at those metal pieces, and
        from there I have one yellow wire with a yellow plug to the yellow
        contact at the transformer.

        So the only beef is to find which blue wire does what. Anybody out
        there who knows how to tell in advance... ...without to open the
        turnout cover?

        The amount of wire in the maerklin set allows you to set up the basic
        layout, but not much more. You will soon need to get more from that
        stuff.

        HTH

        --

        Uwe
      • Tina Fraser
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2004
          Thank you for the response, Uwe. I will be checking your file for
          some further help. Thanks again!
        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2004
            TIna,

            I will be around today if you would like to give me a call. The number is
            (614) 764-1703.

            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.