Questions: NMRA Seattle + BYOZ

  • elf_rohirrim
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 8:09 PM
      This question is (probably) mostly for Tom G in Seattle, but as others
      might be interested in his answers, I am posting it here.

      As I plan on being at the Seattle NMRA show on Saturday/Sunday:

      1) How does one get in with a BYOZ layout? Any special enterance
      to use? Any special place to park (so one doesn't have to carry stuff
      too far)? Any details / info would be appreciated.

      2) I have heard that in the past there has been a dinner for Z-attendees
      one of the evenings. Is something like that planned or contemplated?

      I expect to get to the convention center about 11am on Saturday with
      my small table top winter/christmas layout. I plan to be there all day
      and to return on Sunday for the whole day.

      Any one else bring a BYOZ layout or module? I know the BYOZ space is
      intended to be less formal than other displays, but by now... do we know
      who else and how many layouts / modules might be present (in the BYOZ
      area only -- not counting those who have registered specific layouts in
      specific numbered areas)?

      Looking forward to seeing everyone.

      I'll be wearing a cap with a brand new -- and very well done -- ZTrack
      patch. (THANKS Fred!)

      ELF
    • tgilchrist9
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5 2:07 PM
        Hi there. Happy to hear you will be in the area for the NTS here in Seattle.

        1) The BYOZ is for people attending the NTS that want to show their portable
        Z scale layouts, but without having to reserve space with the NTS. As such,
        you will need to pay and register as an NTS attendees and carry in your
        layout under your arm. Once inside, you can come to the SW corner for the
        building to booth 873 and check in with Jim Glass (or the volunteer working
        the area). If for some reason, you can't carry in your layout, come inside and
        talk to Jim Glass at the booth....remember the 2x4' size restriction.

        You can look at the BYOZ article (also published in Z-Track a few issues ago)
        at http://www.tomgtomg.com/z for guideline and rules. Basically, you show up
        and see if there is space to show on the tables we provide. If so, you can sit
        down for a couple of hours and show. We provided AC Power. Every two
        hours we check to see if anyone is waiting to show, if there isn't, you can stay
        another 2 hours...etc. Since we don't know how many people will be coming
        and at what time, it's all dynamic. While we have done this before, there are
        always surprises...both good and bad...just show up, pay to get in, and
        wonder over...we have space for around 6 layouts at any one time.

        2) I don't know what diner events for Z Scalers have been set up. Again, show
        up and we'll tell you what we know. Terry Sutfin generally puts something
        together for Z scalers...just a trip for pizza some evening. Again, just show up
        and learn...z scalers tend to be "agile" (at least those of us in the software
        business).

        bye, tomg

        BTW, If you want to contact Jim Glass during the show, just call his Cell
        number at 524 829 7456. If you want to talk to me, my number during the
        show will be 206-719-5931