8804 Conversion

  • Tom Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2004
      I've uploaded some pathetic photos (cheap camera, poor
      lighting, inept operator) of the Marklin 8804 that I'm
      converting -- to a limited degree -- to a USA-style
      industrial swithcher.

      So far, the following small steps have been completed:

      1. Pull buffers/puffers (English/Deutche). This was
      done by firmly and steadily pulling on them with a
      padded pliers. They easily came out.

      2. Replacing the Marklin couplers with MM (MTL #902).

      3. Replacing the outer 2 wheelsets, which are linked
      with connecting/drive rods, with the center wheelset
      which is not connected. This was the hardest step --
      I have to wait almost 2 months to get 2 wheelsets.
      Replacing the outer wheelsets was done in order to get
      rid of the drive rods. They looked bizarre on what is
      supposed to emulate the looks of a USA diesel. The
      engine is also much easier to put back together
      without the rods, and the engine runs a bit better.

      There's not much else I can do without taking drastic
      action. There's not much else I can do given my
      meager skills.

      I do want to change the color of the wheels. Red just
      doesn't look right. I've got a few questions.

      1. If I decide to repaint them, should I first remove
      the existing paint or just paint over it?

      2. Should I just remove the paint and leave the
      wheels unpainted or should I paint them?

      3. If I remove the paint, how should this be done
      given consideration to ease, damage potential, etc.

      4. If I repaint:

      4.1 What color? Black?

      4.2 What kind of paint? Acrlic? Enamel? Other?

      I may repaint the shell, but that's another story for
      another time.

      http://mail.yahoo.com