StockYard aerials?

  • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
      Can someone point me to a pic, or line drawing, etc. of a StockYard??

      Preferably a large one - maybe a meat packing plant next to it, etc. And
      it must support rail traffic.

      An aerial view would be ideal.

      The only ones I can find googleing around are WAAAAY too early - like
      early 1800's.

      I'm looking for 30's to 50's.

      Thanks very much!!
    • Thomas P. Scheuzger
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
        Here's a photo of the Chicago Stockyards around 1947:

        http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/american_cities/images/american_cities_050.jpg

        Also on this page (scroll down to stockyards):

        http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/citymapSubjects13.html

        And here:

        http://www.digitalpast.com/gallery_stockyard.htm

        Tom

      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
          OH MY GAWD!!!!!

          That is SOOO cool.

          Thanks, Tom. This is exactly what I was looking for. I had no idea that
          these things were so humongous. Chicago - WOW~~! Imagine keeping track
          of all those steers -

          Looks like I will be "designing" my own. Man, those are very cool links.

          Thanks very much

          Here's a photo of the Chicago Stockyards around 1947:

          http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/american_cities/images/american_cities_050.jpg

          Also on this page (scroll down to stockyards):

          http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/citymapSubjects13.html

          And here:

          http://www.digitalpast.com/gallery_stockyard.htm

          Tom
        • jim_manley_alpha_six
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
            Hi Ted and All Ye ZedsterZ, a-near and a-far,

            If you want to see the real thing the way they do it here in
            Califor-nye-ay today, get off at the Kettleman exit (I guess they're
            KowboyZ there, and spell "cattle" as "kettle"! :) from I-5, about 30
            minutes South of where Route 152 intersects the superslab just East of
            the San Luis Reservoir. However, you may not want to do it at this
            time of the year - it stinks to high Heaven on the coldest day in
            February. You don't _even_ want to crack a window going by on I-5,
            much less get down and mosey over to where the moo-cows are.

            It's such a factory operation that they cool the cattle off with giant
            versions of lawn sprinklers with the rotating weight that make the
            "chuch-chuch-chuch" kind of sound. I've "herd" (sorry, I just
            couldn't reZiZt! ;) they've had as many as half a million head there
            at peak times.

            All Z BeZt,
            Jim

            P.S.: I got through the FAA oral exam Wednesday, but the only plane
            available, and that I was scheduled to fly, had to be taken off-line
            for maintenance (DOH!!! :) So, I'm tentatively scheduled to fly the
            check ride with the examiner on Friday - so close, and yet so far!
            Hey, as soon as I have my certificate, we can go reconnoiter the cow
            paddocks (and patties! :) from a safe slant range vantage point, if
            you want!

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, ted_lamar@p... wrote:

            > OH MY GAWD!!!!!
            >
            > That is SOOO cool.
            >
            > Thanks, Tom. This is exactly what I was looking for. I had no idea
            > that these things were so humongous. Chicago - WOW~~! Imagine
            > keeping track of all those steers -
            >
            > Looks like I will be "designing" my own. Man, those are very cool
            > links.
            >
            > Here's a photo of the Chicago Stockyards around 1947:

            http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/american_cities/images/american_cities_050.jpg

            > http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/citymapSubjects13.html
            >
            > http://www.digitalpast.com/gallery_stockyard.htm
          • Bill Hoshiko
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
              "jim_manley_alpha_six" <jim_manley@h...> wrote:
              > Hi Ted and All Ye ZedsterZ, a-near and a-far,
              >
              > Hey, as soon as I have my certificate, we can go reconnoiter the
              cow paddocks (and patties! :) from a safe slant range vantage point,
              if you want!

              Careful Jim,

              I was a passenger in a Helicoptor over Corona, CA back in 1986. At
              1,000 ft we could still smell the majority population of that area.
              Probably 85% cows and 15% people.

              Today it is mostly brand new homes with very green grass. The cows
              have moved over into the San Joaquin Valley. The cows wanted to
              take Amtrak over Tehachapi but Amtrak only runs buses between LA and
              Bakersfield. Life is often very cruel.

              Bill
              El Toro, Ca
            • jim_manley_alpha_six
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
                Hi Mr. Bill ("Oh, no! Sluggo!!! ;)

                As you might surmiZe, one of the first thingZ student pilotZ are
                taught iZ how to determine wind direction close to the ground when
                there iZ no local reporting or wind sockZ/vanes (smokestack plumes,
                movement of dust clouds stirred up in fields, wavelets on water,
                rolling tumbleweeds, Dorothy's house whizzing by ... :)

                As such, I would endeavor to remain upwind of said boviniferous
                emissions (a major source of greenhouse gaZeZ, BTW! ;) above almost
                any other maneuvering consideration, short of colliding with another
                aircraft also attempting to avoid the "bouquet"!

                All Z BeZt,
                Jim