Amps

  • Paul Hertel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
      How much voltage and Amps can a loco motor take?
      How about a 5 POL?

      Thanks all.

      Happy Z'ing

      Paul

      Car A
      Midwezt Haulerz
      Belleville, IL

    • Kari Sarmanne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2004
        Paul,

        My smallest Marklin loco 0-6-0 BR89 with
        a 5-pole motor needs only 2.5 - 3 volts to
        run at a moderate speed. Over 3 volts it starts
        running too fast and 8 volts makes it to run
        like a bullet train.
        It takes only about 150 - 200 mA.
        I think it is quite the same with other locos too.
        With max voltage 8 or 10 volts all locos run
        too fast. I guess no loco takes over 400 mA.
        Maybe somebody else knows better.

        CheerZ
        Kari S.
        Helsinki/Finland

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hertel" <paulhertel@c...> wrote:
        > How much voltage and Amps can a loco motor take?
        > How about a 5 POL?
        >
        > Thanks all.
        >
        > Happy Z'ing
        >
        > Paul
        >
        > Car A
        > Midwezt Haulerz
        > Belleville, IL
      • Paul Hertel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 5:50 AM
          Thankz. I was think the amps were pretty small. I know about the voltage
          as I'm
          working on a cigar box layout to be run with a 9V battery.
          Last night I had the pleasure of burning up a potentiometer. A 9V battery
          made the insides glow nicely.
          Then the tell tail smell of burnt electronics!
          Maybe I'll have to get the voltage regulator from ZTrack. I was hoping for
          a cheaper alternative.

          Thankz again!

          Paul

          _____

          My smallest Marklin loco 0-6-0 BR89 with
          a 5-pole motor needs only 2.5 - 3 volts to
          run at a moderate speed. Over 3 volts it starts
          running too fast and 8 volts makes it to run
          like a bullet train.
          It takes only about 150 - 200 mA.
          I think it is quite the same with other locos too.
          With max voltage 8 or 10 volts all locos run
          too fast. I guess no loco takes over 400 mA.
          Maybe somebody else knows better.

          CheerZ
          Kari S.
          Helsinki/Finland

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hertel" <paulhertel@c...> wrote:
          > How much voltage and Amps can a loco motor take?
          > How about a 5 POL?
          >
          > Thanks all.
          >
          > Happy Z'ing
          >
          > Paul
          >
          > Car A
          > Midwezt Haulerz
          > Belleville, IL

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bamksq/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1706533816:HM/EXP=1088750944/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
          anion.yahoo.com> click here

          :HM/A=2128215/rand=152748992>

          _____

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Patrick Tighe
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 8:52 AM
            The problem may be that you used a potentiometer under rated for the
            power, possibly 1/2W. 200mA at 9V is 1.8 watts and at 400mA, 3.6
            watts. These are just guidelines. Starting and/or locked rotor
            current can be quite a bit higher. Try a pot rated at 2W or better
            yet 5W. That's a cheaper alternative.

            Patrick

            wrote:
            > Thankz. I was think the amps were pretty small. I know about the
            voltage
            > as I'm
            > working on a cigar box layout to be run with a 9V battery.
            > Last night I had the pleasure of burning up a potentiometer. A 9V
            battery
            > made the insides glow nicely.
            > Then the tell tail smell of burnt electronics!
            > Maybe I'll have to get the voltage regulator from ZTrack. I was
            hoping for
            > a cheaper alternative.
            >
            > Thankz again!
            >
            > Paul
            >
            > _____

            Small DoseZ!

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bamksq/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
            76/D=gr

            oups/S=1706533816:HM/EXP=1088750944/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http
            ://comp
            > anion.yahoo.com> click here
            >
            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
            > :HM/A=2128215/rand=152748992>
            >
            > _____
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Service

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1 11:53 PM
              Take a look at the following page:

              http://www.fr-model.de/english/information_scratch_battery.htm

              You can use a 0.4 W potentiometer with the LM317T regulator.

              I have built some battery power packs using a 0.4 W potentiometer
              and a transistor ( BD244C ). They work just fine.

              Without a regulator or transistor you must have at
              least a 4 W potentiometer, but I do not recommend it.

              I have built two cigar box layouts, but I have not put
              the 9 V battery in the box. I just have a connection to
              a battery power pack or to 230 V power pack.

              Kari S.

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hertel" <paulhertel@c...> wrote:
              > Thankz. I was think the amps were pretty small. I know about the
              voltage
              > as I'm
              > working on a cigar box layout to be run with a 9V battery.
              > Last night I had the pleasure of burning up a potentiometer. A 9V
              battery
              > made the insides glow nicely.
              > Then the tell tail smell of burnt electronics!
              > Maybe I'll have to get the voltage regulator from ZTrack. I was
              hoping for
              > a cheaper alternative.
              >
              > Thankz again!
              >
              > Paul
            • Glen Chenier
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5 11:05 AM

                wrote:
                ...> > Last night I had the pleasure of burning up a potentiometer.
                A 9V
                > battery
                > > made the insides glow nicely.

                Sorry for the delayed response, have just been browsing recent
                messages and came upon this one.

                A resistor (potentiometer) voltage control is fine for a layout with
                no changes in load - ie flat landscape. If there are grades on your
                layout, the regulated voltage option (transistor) will maintain a
                more constant train speed.

                When using a 4 watt (or more) variable resistance (potentiometer) go
                for at least 50 ohms, better 75-100 ohms. Use only 2 terminals in
                series with the track. Some uses of a potentiometer use all 3
                terminals where the ends of the resistance terminals are placed
                across the power source and the variable voltage is taken from the
                central wiper contact. This is not required for locomotive speed
                control and will waste battery life un-neccessarily if all 3
                terminals are used since battery current is drawn through the
                potentiometer and does no useful work.

                If you have grades on your cigar box layout the regulated voltage
                circuit helps to keep the speed more constant. The transistor
                regulator maintains a constant voltage to the locomotive by
                constantly self-adjusting it's electrical resistance to compensate
                for variations in current demand by the loco (it measures it's own
                output voltage and adjusts itself to keep this voltage at a constant
                level). A fixed resistance (potentiometer) instead without this self-
                monitoring feature will drop more voltage as the loco current demand
                increases to climb a grade, this results in even less current
                available and the loco slows even more. If drastic speed changes are
                the desired effect, then go for the resistor approach. If you wish
                to maintain a more constant speed, use the transistor regulator.

                BTW, the simplest form of regulated voltage adjustment is a series
                string of silicon rectifier diodes, about 10 cents each if bought in
                bulk, like a pack of 25. Unlike a resistance, each diode in it's
                forward conduction polarity drops a constant 0.7 volts regardless of
                the current through it. A battery is already voltage regulated other
                then a small internal resistance and gradually decreasing voltage as
                it is used. Any common silicon diode rated for 1 amp or more is
                suitable - 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4003, 1N4004 etc. Ten in series will
                drop 7 volts for minimum speed (2 volts left for the loco from the 9
                volt battery), 5 in series drop 3.5 volts (5.5 volts left over for
                the loco) etc. An alligator clip wire can be used to select how many
                diodes are electrically in the string. If you want to get fancy you
                can connect each diode wire connection to a screw, a series of screws
                in the back of the cigar box let you select speed with the alligator
                clip. As the battery ages move the clip to the next screw. Not
                elegant, but for a small layout with grades this is the simplest form
                of constant voltage supply.

                Another use for diodes proposed and tested by Cliff Travis - series
                diodes used on a helix in the downhill polarity help maintain the
                speed so the same throttle setting results in the same speed both up
                and down. Neat idea.