Re: [z_scale] Re: Solderless Leads

  • Tom Fisher
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 29, 2004
      Do you have a *general* feel a for how long this is
      likely to last? If it worked for a couple of months
      of casual use that would be fine for my purposes. A
      failure would prod me to move further along with
      several track projects.

      [snip]

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 29, 2004
        I believe the reason there were no responses is that there isn't a good way
        to do it. It is NOT a good practice.

        If you have to have non soldered connections I would recommend the use of
        the Maerklin Power Fedder tracks. As far as I know, they are straight
        sections only.

        PS
        One thing I've done in HO - and, as such, don't know if it can be done in
        Z, is to solder a lead to the bottom of a rail joiner - then use these
        "wired" rail joiners where you want the juice.

        <SNIP>
        There weren't any replies to the following post. If
        someone has any data, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

        --------

        I seem to remember that someone had a solderless lead
        method, but I can't find it in my notes.

        Does anyone have further information on this
        technique?

        I can imagine some half-*** way of doing it, but
        promoter of the technique indicated otherwise. I just
        can't remember any of the details.

        I'd like to use something less permanent and easier to
        do than solder on a couple of "temporary" layouts.
      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 29, 2004
          >Place the wire in the
          >area between 2 ties and the rail. Remove the screwdriver while
          >holding the wire in place and Voila! leads connected to the track
          >without soldering.

          You may do as you see fit, but I would not encourage the above practice.
          Poor condictivity and the possibility of damage to the track are two
          reasons.

        • Thomas Welsch
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 29, 2004
            Hi Tom,

            While I DON'T recommend this type of connection for any type of
            permanent layout, I have 2 small layouts stuck to corrugated
            cardboard (also not recommended for permanent layouts) that have
            been running with this connection for 3 1/2 months. I run the
            layouts 2 to 5 times a week, and the connection has held up so far.
            Obviously, you want to be careful while inserting the screwdriver so
            you don't damage the track. This allows me to play with my trains
            and do some test running when I get something new.

            When it comes to permanent layouts, you want to use a heavier gauge
            wire as a bus, and smaller feeders soldered about every 2 to 3 feet
            along the rail.

            I understood that you were asking about a temporary layout and
            thought that this simple connection method would allow you to get
            your trains running without spending any money (for Marklin feeder
            tracks) or doing anything that required any special tools or
            abilities. After all...isn't getting the trains running one of the
            things this hobby is all about?

            Enjoy your trainZ!

            Thom Welsch
            MidweZt HaulerZ

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
            > Do you have a *general* feel a for how long this is
            > likely to last? If it worked for a couple of months
            > of casual use that would be fine for my purposes. A
            > failure would prod me to move further along with
            > several track projects.
          • Ralph Scott
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 29, 2004
              Hi Tom
              When wrote this I thought you were referring to all devices including track wiring. The way I would go for a tempory set up is to solder the wire to the track and place a connector under the board. you could use the trusty marklin plug and socket or ordinary chocolate connectors . This would allow easy removal.
              I have used the poke the wire between the raiil and track tie successfully but others have had trouble over time. I guess oxidation and movement (from the weight of the loco passing over the connecting point) may eventually cause an unstable connection

              the wirewrap method really is a more permament method to connect devices that have connecting pins
              decoder connectors can work with devices with pins if the pin spacing is right
              Ralph
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 29, 2004
                Ted,

                Your method will work equally well in ANY gauge, so long as care is taken
                not to open up the joiners too much - far better technique than opening up
                the joiner is to lightly taper the rail ends (in 3D mode*) with a file to
                get an easy start when fitting the joiner

                Bill Foote (http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote)

                * i.e. so that both the width and thickness of the rail base is slightly
                reduced

                > I believe the reason there were no responses is that there isn't a good
                way
                > to do it. It is NOT a good practice.
                >
                > PS
                > One thing I've done in HO - and, as such, don't know if it can be done in
                > Z, is to solder a lead to the bottom of a rail joiner - then use these
                > "wired" rail joiners where you want the juice.
              • Michael Hilliard
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
                  Hi,

                  To the originator of this thread, give me your address privatly off list, and I'll send you a marklin feeder track for SASE, padded envelope preferable, send 2 stamps & I'll provide the envelope. No charge for the feeder track section. I have 1marklin feeder track section I don't use and you're welcome to it. Solderless and cost effective and more reliable than the below. Forgive me for not editing for length, I can type now but have a way to go in regards to my damaged right hand (reminder, dog bite, big dog) regards,

                  Michael Hilliard
                  P.O. Box 273
                  Wilton, CT 06897
                  choochooterain@...

                  Thomas Welsch <rvn20012000@...> wrote:
                  Hi Tom,

                  While I DON'T recommend this type of connection for any type of
                  permanent layout, I have 2 small layouts stuck to corrugated
                  cardboard (also not recommended for permanent layouts) that have
                  been running with this connection for 3 1/2 months. I run the
                  layouts 2 to 5 times a week, and the connection has held up so far.
                  Obviously, you want to be careful while inserting the screwdriver so
                  you don't damage the track. This allows me to play with my trains
                  and do some test running when I get something new.

                  When it comes to permanent layouts, you want to use a heavier gauge
                  wire as a bus, and smaller feeders soldered about every 2 to 3 feet
                  along the rail.

                  I understood that you were asking about a temporary layout and
                  thought that this simple connection method would allow you to get
                  your trains running without spending any money (for Marklin feeder
                  tracks) or doing anything that required any special tools or
                  abilities. After all...isn't getting the trains running one of the
                  things this hobby is all about?

                  Enjoy your trainZ!

                  Thom Welsch
                  MidweZt HaulerZ

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@y...> wrote:
                  > Do you have a *general* feel a for how long this is
                  > likely to last? If it worked for a couple of months
                  > of casual use that would be fine for my purposes. A
                  > failure would prod me to move further along with
                  > several track projects.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Tom Fisher
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
                    We are talking about a lead to EACH SECTION (i.e.,
                    each individual piece of track no matter how it is
                    connected to the adjacent pieces; each individual
                    piece of MTL flextrack; each individual piece of
                    Marklin 8500; etc.).

                    Using a Marklin's Power Feeder Track for every section
                    in a layout is too costly and too ugly.

                    Certainly, using a few Feeder Tracks in a layout or
                    soldering a few leads to the layout is appropriate.
                    Just using Feeder Tracks for the whole layout is not.

                    Soldering a lead to each section is appropriate, but
                    it's a PITA for a layout that is not going to be up --
                    HOPEFULLY -- for more than just a few months.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
                      You are precisely answering what I have in mind.

                      We're are both talking about something that's
                      temporary. W are not denying that at least one feed
                      probably should be connected via Feeder Track or
                      soldered connection.

                      A success rate of several uses per week over 3-4
                      months is good enough for my intended use.

                      Thanks for the help.

                      <rvn20012000@...> wrote:
                      > Hi Tom,

                      [snip]

                      > running with this connection for 3 1/2 months.
                      > I run the
                      > layouts 2 to 5 times a week, and the connection has
                      > held up so far.
                      > Obviously, you want to be careful while inserting
                      > the screwdriver

                      [snip]

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
                        Michael,

                        1. I started the thread. I have several Marklin
                        Feeder Tracks, but I can always use another one. So
                        just stick it in with the other goodies that you are
                        sending to me when the package goes out the door;
                        there's no need to send it separately. I figure that
                        the extra weight of the Feeder Track shouldn't cause
                        any increase in the shipping charges. Therefore,
                        don't expect any stamps from me.

                        2. The question is how to connect MULTIPLE leads --
                        in addition to one or more "primary" leads -- to a
                        TEMPORARY layout without soldering every dang one.
                        The original question did not ask -- at least it was
                        not intended to ask -- how to COMPLETELY eliminate
                        soldered connections or Feeder Track for the "primary"
                        lead or leads. Obviously, Marklin Feeder Track works
                        fine for a TEMPORARY layout. No one has suggested it
                        doesn't. I'm using 3 of them right now in very small
                        TEMPORARY layouts. I want to put together several
                        larger and more complex TEMPORARY layouts, but I don't
                        want to stick in a bunch of Feeder Tracks and I don't
                        want to solder a bunch of leads either.

                        Thanks.

                        Tom Fisher

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 30, 2004
                          Hi Tom and all,

                          I dug out the feeder track and put it with your goodies. It sounds to me that your original question has been answered at this point, so I won't say anymore about that.

                          I do want to address the difference between temporary and permanent layouts. First you don't need many feeders for a temporary layout as long as you are working with new track and connectors and keep the track clean. When it comes to a permanent layout, the suggested 2-3' for feeders sounds good. Furthermore, I hope you learn or have the willingness to solder when making a permanent layout. For long life of your trackwork I'd suggest soldering the feeders and soldering every rail joint on the layout except for the switches, the switches may need to be serviced or replaced in the future, so we leave these "floating". I hope you'll be around at 9pm EST because you've inspired a topic for tonights voice chat, track laying 101. Hope to see you there.

                          Michael Hilliard