Re: [z_scale] AZL

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
      > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
      > will have flywheels,
      > directional lighting and comes DCC ready.

      Hi Rob, are you able to say if this loco has the same
      speed than previous AZL stuff at a given output (ie,
      are these locos able to be MU with other AZL locos, or
      with FR F40s) ?
      Dominique

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
        Dominique,

        I have not tested the locomotive yet. I have heard that it runs great. I
        don't know how it compares to other AZL releases. I should have more information
        in the upcoming weeks.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • Tom Fisher
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
          You probably can't tell us, but, if you can, are there
          plans for other shells? A modern USA switcher
          perhaps?

          --- ztrack@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 6/1/04 9:36:55 PM,
          > tfisher10@... writes:
          >

          > > I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's
          > under
          > > the shell.� Is it public yet?
          > >

          > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
          > will have flywheels,
          > directional lighting and comes DCC ready. The
          > couplers are a hook type that can be
          > replaced easily with Micro-Trains #905 couplers.
          >
          > For those who saw the ad in Model Railroader, it
          > should be noted that the art
          > is too scale.
          >
          > Rob Kluz
          >

          > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          > Dublin, OH 43016
          > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          > www.ztrack.com

          > removed]

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Robert Allbritton
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
            Tom,

            No hood units (including switchers) will be possible with this chassis due
            to the size and width of the can motor used.

            Best,
            -Rob

            --- ztrack@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 6/1/04 9:36:55 PM,
            > tfisher10@... writes:
            >

            > > I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's
            > under
            > > the shell. Is it public yet?
            > >

            > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
            > will have flywheels,
            > directional lighting and comes DCC ready. The
            > couplers are a hook type that can be
            > replaced easily with Micro-Trains #905 couplers.
            >
            > For those who saw the ad in Model Railroader, it
            > should be noted that the art
            > is too scale.
            >
            > Rob Kluz
            >

            > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            > Dublin, OH 43016
            > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
            > www.ztrack.com

            > removed]

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/

          • bscaro
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
              No hood units (including switchers) will be possible with this
              chassis due
              > to the size and width of the can motor used.
              >
              > Best,
              > -Rob

              This is the problem with hood units generally in Z.

              The only way around it cheaply is to put the motor in the cab, as
              occurs with a couple of the Marklin diesels and electrics and of
              course with steam locomotives.

              I do not think this arrangement has been tried with hood units, but I
              can foresee problems doing US hood units this way, as the position of
              the CAB in US locos is normally towards one end, over the lead
              truck, and this is where the motor would have to sit. So the motor
              would be in the place where ordinarily, the gear tower for the front
              truck would be.

              One option might be to have a loco with a dummy front truck and a
              powered rear truck ?

              One interesting idea was an Nn3 'retrofit chassis' for the SP 'Little
              Giant' 3' GE loco, that used the MT F7 motor and trucks, but oriented
              the motor 90 degrees so that it fit into the hood. However, this was
              an Nn3 loco and there was *barely* adequate room for it even in that
              scale. So I do not think this idea could be used for a Z scale
              chassis.

              Best regards

              Ben
            • ztrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                I can't comment in detail. I can say that AZL has set prototypes and runs of
                new locomotives through 2006. These are going to be some incredible runs of
                popular prototypes. Actual production time does depend highly on the current
                release. In this case, much is depending on the F59PHI run. Regardless, good
                things are coming!

                Rob Kluz

                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                Dublin, OH 43016
                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                www.ztrack.com

              • loren snyder
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                  > I can't comment in detail. I can say that AZL has set prototypes
                  and runs of
                  > new locomotives through 2006. These are going to be some
                  incredible runs of
                  > popular prototypes. Actual production time does depend highly on
                  the current
                  > release. In this case, much is depending on the F59PHI run.
                  Regardless, good
                  > things are coming!
                  > Rob Kluz
                  Well Rob, Do you remember when you were sick a couple of months ago
                  and someone almost, or actually did coax some info out of you
                  concerning AZL's new release?
                  Now that we know that YOU know what is coming in the future.....I
                  wouldn't answer your door after dark
                  or stay on the phone line too long for fear of a trace, cause the Z
                  Undercover Squad just may jump you some dark night and torture you
                  by covering you body with white glue and sprinkling you with ground
                  foam, or worse yet, lace your breakfast cereal with coupler springs
                  and make you chew thoroughly while they super glue your turnout
                  switches, until you fess up to what you know. It does sound very
                  exciting and promising even if the Z squad can't locate you. Oh by
                  the way, stay out of dark alleys after dark !!! We're watching
                  you !!!
                • ztrack@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                    Well, I can say one thing. The official announcement of AZL's 2005 release
                    will be made at the National Train Show in Seattle this July. I would recommend
                    being there first hand to hear the announcement. The show is running July 9 -
                    11. Hans Riddervold, owner of AZL will be on hand to make the announcement.
                    See you at the show!

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com

                  • Vincent Goudreault
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 25, 2004
                      In the last issue of Ztrack, I note that AZL intends to release SD70 and
                      SD75
                      in the summer of 2005, with essentially the road names already covered for
                      the existing C44, SD45 and SD40; but with the (rejoice rejoice) addition of
                      the CNR ! (Holy freaking cow!)

                      A few months ago, AZL had re-released C44 with the UP winged herald
                      (since the UP Dash 9 were the first to be sold out, this is understandable)
                      but the production being limited to 32 makes me wonder: any chance that
                      the CNR could be the subject of a second batch of C44? And what about
                      the SD40? Any chance we could see more Canadian National colors on
                      the AZL locos?

                      CBVG
                    • ztrack@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 25, 2004
                        In a message dated 9/25/04 11:27:28 AM, vgoudreault@... writes:

                        > Any chance we could see more Canadian National colors on
                        > the AZL locos?

                        Good question. Yes, AZL is planning of offering the SD70 in CNR. As for the
                        SD40-2s, there are no plans at this time to offer additional roadnames.
                        Frankly, inventories are very low on the SD45s and SD40-2s so repaints may not be an
                        option. I can't say what is going to happen after the SD70 run (very secret
                        ... but definitely a must have). If the CNR units are popular, they roadname
                        will definitely be considered for more body styles.

                        The first Canadian release from AZL, the F59PHI West Coast Express set has
                        been very popular. We have never had so many orders from Canada and our Canadian
                        dealers have been very pleased. This is a good indicator. I can't wait to see
                        how the SD70s go.

                        As for the C44s, that I am not sure off. Again, AZL has stated that there
                        will be no additional roadnames offered. We do have inventories of the ATSF, NS
                        and UP winged heralds still available. It may be a situation that customers
                        look for someone to do custom repaints. Last year, we ran an article on one
                        gentleman who repainted C44s into CSX and Conrail units. They looked great!

                        Rob Kluz

                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        Dublin, OH 43016
                        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        www.ztrack.com

                      • Dawes
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 29, 2010
                          Does anybody know what has happened with new road names for the AZL GP7
                          and when we are going to see the RDC1 & 2 and the GP30 & GP38
                          Dave
                        • mark2playz
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                            Dave,
                            Not to speak out of turn, but as I understand it, AZL contracts out much of the tooling and manufacture, so their schedules are at the mercy of others, half a world away. However, when they know they have a product ready, Rob at Ztrack does a good job of getting the word out.

                            Mark

                          • ztrack@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                              Dave,

                              AZL has just posted an update on Trainboard. There is a 'possibility' that
                              we will see the RDCs before the end of the year. AZL has also indicated we
                              may see the 53' well cars by Christmas.

                              The GP30 testing is still ongoing. AZL is reporting positive results with
                              their latest GP30 samples. I would expect to see the GP38s next year, likely
                              before the next run of GP7s.

                              Rob

                              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                              www.ztrack.com
                              www.ztrackcenter.com
                              www.ztrackresale.com
                              6142 Northcliff Blvd
                              Dublin OH 43016
                              (614) 764-1703

                            • Loren Snyder
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                Rob,
                                A very interesting article in Z Track. A little history of sorts.

                                It was about 1996 when I actually met John LaMere and Don Bouchard at
                                Medford's Railroad Park. They were there one run day and one of them opened
                                a box and showed me a rough frame and one wheel set on the proposed
                                Challenger contrary to what the article says about no progress being made on
                                the Challenger. I got real excited as to the prospect of something like
                                that in Z, but then never heard anything more about the project except that
                                Rogue eventually closed down.

                                Now that I'm 'into it' pretty heavily I have great interest in what road
                                names Hans will come out with after the initial SP and BN release.

                                I'm hoping AZL will do the CORP livery since they use GP38s right here in
                                Medford.

                                Hans, if you are reading this, can you shed some light as to whether CORP
                                will be released? It would sure save me having to strip some and start over

                                Wishful thinking,