Modern Tractor-trailer rigs

  • Malcolm Cleaveland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
      Zeds,

      With the advent of modern 60' flatcars, ideal for long Trailer-On-
      Flatcar (TOFC) consists, the need for modern 53' trailers (and some
      tractors at the intermodal facility) has become urgent. Despite the
      people who love to use 1:160, 1:200 and 1:250 scale vehicles on their
      1:220 layouts, I really doubt that anything other than a 1:220 trailer
      will look good on the new flatcars. Micronart rigs are beautiful, but not
      the right era.

      Someone was offering "diecast tractor trailer rigs" for $10 a pop on the
      Forum earlier. Not a word about scale, whether they were painted, etc.
      Talk about a pig in a poke. Did anybody acquire any of those rigs, and if
      so, how about a report? If you really did build a realistic layout, you
      could go broke just buying vehicles, never mind the incredibly expensive
      track, locomotives, etc.

      Cheerz,
      Malcolm Z
    • Tom Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
        There are some nice 18-wheelers on e**y. The scale
        looks pretty good. I haven't taken out the micrometer
        to check actual measurements.

        I haven't seen trailers, with or without tractors,
        however, that would be suitable for containers.

        Are there any "toys" (e.g., micro-machines)whose scale
        is OK. I used to get really nice vehicles at
        Wall-Mart for 0-gauge.

        --- Malcolm Cleaveland <mcleavel@...> wrote:

        > Zeds,
        >
        > With the advent of modern 60' flatcars, ideal for
        > long Trailer-On-
        > Flatcar (TOFC) consists, the need for modern 53'
        > trailers (and some
        > tractors at the intermodal facility) has become
        > urgent. Despite the
        > people who love to use 1:160, 1:200 and 1:250 scale
        > vehicles on their
        > 1:220 layouts, I really doubt that anything other
        > than a 1:220 trailer
        > will look good on the new flatcars. Micronart rigs
        > are beautiful, but not
        > the right era.
        >
        > Someone was offering "diecast tractor trailer
        > rigs" for $10 a pop on the
        > Forum earlier. Not a word about scale, whether they
        > were painted, etc.
        > Talk about a pig in a poke. Did anybody acquire any
        > of those rigs, and if
        > so, how about a report? If you really did build a
        > realistic layout, you
        > could go broke just buying vehicles, never mind the
        > incredibly expensive
        > track, locomotives, etc.
        >
        > Cheerz,
        > Malcolm Z

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Kez
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
          Malcolm,

          The rigs offered earlier are just a few of the past offerings from Die Cast
          Promotions, an F.F. Ertl III Company(http://www.wcinet.com/diecast/index.cfm
          , search for 256, and you'll find the only model that they currently sell).
          I believe that they have been sold to corporate customers as promotional
          items. They are, for the most part, wonderful looking, but unfortunately
          they are 1/256 scale. Good enough for on the road or at a dock, but I don't
          think they're going to work for TOFC use, especially because they are spin
          cast metal, and the flat car would be VERY top heavy with these loaded on
          the back.

          This has not prevented me from collecting a few of them for future layout
          use, though. :)

          Bryan Keyser

          > With the advent of modern 60' flatcars, ideal for long Trailer-On-
          > Flatcar (TOFC) consists, the need for modern 53' trailers (and some
          > tractors at the intermodal facility) has become urgent. Despite the
          > people who love to use 1:160, 1:200 and 1:250 scale vehicles on their
          > 1:220 layouts, I really doubt that anything other than a 1:220 trailer
          > will look good on the new flatcars. Micronart rigs are beautiful, but not
          > the right era.
          >
          > Someone was offering "diecast tractor trailer rigs" for $10 a pop on the
          > Forum earlier. Not a word about scale, whether they were painted, etc.
          > Talk about a pig in a poke. Did anybody acquire any of those rigs, and if
          > so, how about a report? If you really did build a realistic layout, you
          > could go broke just buying vehicles, never mind the incredibly expensive
          > track, locomotives, etc.
          >
          > Cheerz,
          > Malcolm Z

        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2004
            Hello Malcolm,

            Our present semi tractor has 3 different grill configurations included
            in the kit which allow one to build it with a 50s up to 70s appearance.
            Most of the diesels, F7s, PA1s, E8s which have been offered over
            the past 2 years are of this "transition era". And all of the
            Z scale steam locomotives will look right with our trucks.
            Z scale has a long way to go before it catches up to present day
            actual railroading. Where are the covered hoppers, the enclosed
            auto carriers, the chemical hoppers, the modern gas tankers,
            the "end of train" thingy, etc. etc.?

            And semi truck trailers are timeless. They have not changed much in
            over 70 years. Except for the little "car-squisher prevention guard"
            at the rear of today's semi trailers (which are mandated by the
            US Department of Transportation) you will find most trailers look
            the same as they did back in the 30s.

            Right now I am designing 40' long closed trailers and also
            long livestock trailers for variety. Also, plans are being made
            for even more types of semi tractors that will fit in with the
            F59PH 1 Diesels that AZL is planning.

            BTW, all our Z scale products are 1/220 scale.

            Except for the SD45, C44 and a few other engines it is hard to even
            put together a "today" style train, especially without the
            modern cars for them to haul.

            Best regards,
            Reynard

            On Wednesday, June 2, 2004, at 03:39 PM, Malcolm Cleaveland wrote:

            > Zeds,
            >
            > � With the advent of modern 60' flatcars, ideal for long Trailer-On-
            > Flatcar (TOFC) consists, the need for modern 53' trailers (and some
            > tractors at the intermodal facility) has become urgent.� Despite the
            > people who love to use 1:160, 1:200 and 1:250 scale vehicles on their
            > 1:220 layouts, I really doubt that anything other than a 1:220 trailer
            > will look good on the new flatcars.� Micronart rigs are beautiful, but
            > not
            > the right era.
            >
            > � Someone was offering "diecast tractor trailer rigs" for $10 a pop on
            > the
            > Forum earlier.� Not a word about scale, whether they were painted, etc.
            > Talk about a pig in a poke.� Did anybody acquire any of those rigs,
            > and if
            > so, how about a report?� If you really did build a realistic layout,
            > you
            > could go broke just buying vehicles, never mind the incredibly
            > expensive
            > track, locomotives, etc.
            >
            > Cheerz,
            > Malcolm Z
            >

            > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!� Highly addictive in Small
            > DoseZ!

            <image.tiff>

            <image.tiff>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > �
            > �

          • tfisher10
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2004
              This looks like what's being offered on e**y. So, even though they
              are being described as "z scale", they are really 1/256. That said,
              I have 3, and they look roughly in scale.

              Only one is available through diecast at this time. It costs $4.99
              USA + 7.5 shipping.

              I'm trying to obtain a list of truck "names" and styles that were
              made. It may be possible to get a truck from the company for which
              the truck was made.

              Diecast makes models of a number of different vehicles and pieces of
              construction equipment. At this time, it looks like only the 18-
              wheelers are made in 1/256. If the other pieces are available in
              1/256, they might make interesting additions to a layout.

            • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2004
                >Someone was offering "diecast tractor trailer rigs" for $10 a pop on the
                >Forum earlier.
                >Not a word about scale, whether they were painted, etc.
                T>alk about a pig in a poke.

                I'm pretty sure these were the 1:256 die cast ones that flooded eBay for a
                while.