Re: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
      --- mktslsf <dwb6871@...> a écrit : > Hello,

      > I'm familiar with the Marklin but not the MT F-7's.
      > Could those of
      > you who own them please give a review of their
      > quality and
      > performance. It looks like they've greatly expanded
      > their line in
      > the two years I've been away from the hobby.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Doug

      No idea about Marklin's F7 performance, but about MT
      F7:
      -shell detailing not matching present era hobby's
      standard (horns, handrails beeing in the same mold
      than the remaining of the shell - no grab irons on the
      nose - until recently no windows on the cab).

      but:

      -this loco is cheap ($100 or so)
      -it pulls like a mule (50 or so freight cars on
      straight flat track)
      -it has VERY GOOD low speed capacity (5 scale MPH or
      so)
      -to my eyes its shape is very more prototypical than
      its Marklin counterpart (Marklin F7's shell lies on a
      DB Class 110 electric's chassis).

      Hope this helps

      Dominique

    • Jim Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
        The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
        sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
        and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
        All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
        Nelson. Jim
      • dwb6871@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
          Very good information!

          Thanks!
          Doug

        • Elizabeth Hayes
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2004
            I think that all of the Micro-Trains cars with operating doors, such as
            stock car or 40&50 foot double door box cars, 40&50 ft single doors , etc
            are Microtrains originals All of the others, without moving doors, except
            for the 50 foot gondolas are Nelson Gray molds--40&50 ft plug doors, 50 ft
            ribside, 40 ft gondola, tank car caboose, 4o ft wood sheathed as well as the
            other 4 NN3 bodies

            >From: "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...>
            >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
            >Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:03:06 -0000
            >
            >The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
            >sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
            >and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
            >All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
            >Nelson. Jim

          • Elizabeth Hayes
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
              plus the two flat car bodies

              >From: "Elizabeth Hayes" <ehayes24@...>
              >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: RE: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
              >Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:45:30 +0000
              >
              >I think that all of the Micro-Trains cars with operating doors, such as
              >stock car or 40&50 foot double door box cars, 40&50 ft single doors , etc
              >are Microtrains originals All of the others, without moving doors, except
              >for the 50 foot gondolas are Nelson Gray molds--40&50 ft plug doors, 50 ft
              >ribside, 40 ft gondola, tank car caboose, 4o ft wood sheathed as well as
              >the
              >other 4 NN3 bodies
              >

              > >From: "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...>
              > >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
              > >Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:03:06 -0000
              > >
              > >The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
              > >sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
              > >and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
              > >All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
              > >Nelson. Jim

              >Check out the coupons and bargains on MSN Offers! http://youroffers.msn.com

              MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE!
            • blakehoo
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                There are several lots of original Nelson Gray on ebay right now!
                Take a look

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Hayes" <ehayes24@h...>