Re: [z_scale] Coupler Question

  • Ralph Scott
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
      Have you considered the Joerger System . It has the advantages of a Marklin coupler and the advantages of magnetic uncoupling.
      If you are using US prototupe then stick with MT and do not operate with tight curves or sudden changes in track elevation.
      Ralph
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 14, 2013
        I am basically an HO guy, but I just received a really neat Z layout in a table. The two locomotives that came with it will not move when I give them power. I checked the track with my multimeter and there was power.

        The layout and the trains model a German village. The train is Marklin, with their standard claw type of couplers. I don't know how to fix the locomotives, so I just may have to get new locomotives. Does anyone else use the Marklin type of couplers? Does anyone make a car that has the claw on one end and the knuckle coupler on the other end?

        Thanks,

        Paul
        New Guy Here

        Live Simply, Laugh Often
      • Larry Card
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 14, 2013
          The locomotives very likely suffer from hardened oil syndrome, as you might guess it's a common problem. There are people who will fix that for you without charging you one each of the extremities you usually have two of.

          MicroTrains (KayDee's little brother) makes couplers that should go right in, kind of fiddly because they're so small but they work well enough. I don't know of anyone who makes a conversion car, but then again I'm not a Z expert by any means.

          V/R
          Larry P. Card
          Franklinton NC
             _________
          ./__________\.
          (]]]___o___[[[)
          |\_o______o_/|
          |__|..........|__|

          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013
            Paul,

            Welcome to the group!

            Larry is right on. We call this HOS. HOS stands for 'hardened oil syndrome'. For a period of time, Marklin used an oil that hardened which binds the gears. It does not permanently damage the locomotives, but the locos will not run, or be very sluggish if they have this syndrome. To correct the issue, the old oil will need to be cleaned out, the locos re-oiled.

            The site http://www.zscale.org/articles/revival.html has informative articles on cleaning and servicing Marklin locomotives. Some locomotives can be brought back to life quite easily.

            There are also folks who will do the service for you. The Stiskas in Florida are the leaders in this kind of care.

            As for conversion cars, many folks purchase a Micro-Trains car with the MTL couplers. MTL offers Marklin style couplers, and they swap out one end of the car with the Marklin style. I do the same with a caboose so I can mix and match cars across a whole train.

            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            Distributor American Z Line
            Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
            InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
            6142 Northcliff Blvd
            Dublin OH 43016
            (614) 764-1703

          • Paul
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013
              Thank you everybody for all of this good information. Rob, how can I contact "The Stiskas"?

              Thanks,

              Paul

              Live Simply, Laugh Often

            • jim29t

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013
                  Paul,

                  Glenn and Sandy's address......

                  1045 Porter Drive
                  Largo, Florida 33771

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013

                    Glenn and Sandy are amazing individuals who are experts on this. More importantly they are trustworthy and dependable.  Their email address is:

                    stiska@...

                    Thanks. Scott

                    Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

                    Thank you everybody for all of this good information. Rob, how can I contact "The Stiskas"?

                    Thanks,

                    Paul

                    Live Simply, Laugh Often

                  • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013
                      Paul,

                        Conversion of a bunch of cars could be pretty tedious.  I believe that Zscalemonster.com has conversion cars (one end Micro-Trains coupler, one end Marklin compatible) for sale.

                      CheerZ,
                        -- Malcolm Z