Re: [z_scale] Re: Which of these two is better ??

  • d.f.avila@att.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      This should get REALLY COMPLEX when you add super-elevation into the equation. Doubt my li' ol' Z-scale will get that far that adding super-el will make any tracton difference, but I did wonder if in Z-scale the single curve or two curve plus a straight made a difference. Obviously a grade that is steep enough shuts everything down, but being a newbie I wanted to know if adding a short straight helped at all if the radius started to become small. OTOH hand my 19" is a lot greater than a Marklin 5". So far the suggestions are just go for the full radius and forget the straight - except for asthetic purposes. I don't know why this is so, but I'm accepting it as 'fact'.

      I do thank you all the several responses.

      ...don

    • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
        a] a single curve of about 180 degrees; all on a 2% grade; and a
        single 19 inch radius.

        or

        b] two 15 inch curves on the same 2% grade with one 15 inch leading
        in and one 15 inch curve leading out plus about an 8 inch straight
        between the two curves.

        Go for the RADIUS!!!! The bigger the better.