Re: Micro Trains F-7's

  • bscaro
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1 7:07 PM
      I think the Marklin F7 is basically designed to fit on a Euro
      chassis. Might be the 8839. So the trucks are too long, the fuel
      tank too short, and the bogie centres in too far under the
      locomotive.

      The pilot looks wrong too. The overall shape of the shell isn't too
      bad though.

      The Microtrains unit looks even better than a lot of N scale F units,
      particularly round the nose where they really seem to have gotten the
      shape correct.

      Cheers

      Ben

      > Marklin: Several feet too short, not tall enough, trucks squeezed
      inward
      > MTL: Close to true scale size and prototype features.
      >
      > Marklin: Live span (*) - infinite
      > MTL: Life span (*) - infinite
      > (*) if properly lubricated and maintained
      >
      > In spite of all these numbers....you need to buy what pleases you.
      >
      > Bill K.
      > Houston
    • Tom Fisher
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1 9:30 PM
        See this site for a nice comparison and for other
        goodies.

        http://www.armadillo.ch/Zscale/Infopool/ZIman_de.htm#Comparison%20/%20Vergleich%20Marklin%20F7%20vs.%20Micro%20Trains%20F7

        but this link for the site should work better

        http://tinyurl.com/3bsy8

        go to www.tinyurl.com for using tiny urls.

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2 12:59 AM
          --- mktslsf <dwb6871@...> a écrit : > Hello,

          > I'm familiar with the Marklin but not the MT F-7's.
          > Could those of
          > you who own them please give a review of their
          > quality and
          > performance. It looks like they've greatly expanded
          > their line in
          > the two years I've been away from the hobby.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Doug

          No idea about Marklin's F7 performance, but about MT
          F7:
          -shell detailing not matching present era hobby's
          standard (horns, handrails beeing in the same mold
          than the remaining of the shell - no grab irons on the
          nose - until recently no windows on the cab).

          but:

          -this loco is cheap ($100 or so)
          -it pulls like a mule (50 or so freight cars on
          straight flat track)
          -it has VERY GOOD low speed capacity (5 scale MPH or
          so)
          -to my eyes its shape is very more prototypical than
          its Marklin counterpart (Marklin F7's shell lies on a
          DB Class 110 electric's chassis).

          Hope this helps

          Dominique

        • Jim Thomas
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2 6:03 AM
            The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
            sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
            and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
            All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
            Nelson. Jim
          • dwb6871@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2 5:45 PM
              Very good information!

              Thanks!
              Doug

            • Elizabeth Hayes
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4 8:45 AM
                I think that all of the Micro-Trains cars with operating doors, such as
                stock car or 40&50 foot double door box cars, 40&50 ft single doors , etc
                are Microtrains originals All of the others, without moving doors, except
                for the 50 foot gondolas are Nelson Gray molds--40&50 ft plug doors, 50 ft
                ribside, 40 ft gondola, tank car caboose, 4o ft wood sheathed as well as the
                other 4 NN3 bodies

                >From: "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...>
                >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
                >Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:03:06 -0000
                >
                >The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
                >sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
                >and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
                >All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
                >Nelson. Jim

              • Elizabeth Hayes
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 5 7:44 AM
                  plus the two flat car bodies

                  >From: "Elizabeth Hayes" <ehayes24@...>
                  >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: RE: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
                  >Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:45:30 +0000
                  >
                  >I think that all of the Micro-Trains cars with operating doors, such as
                  >stock car or 40&50 foot double door box cars, 40&50 ft single doors , etc
                  >are Microtrains originals All of the others, without moving doors, except
                  >for the 50 foot gondolas are Nelson Gray molds--40&50 ft plug doors, 50 ft
                  >ribside, 40 ft gondola, tank car caboose, 4o ft wood sheathed as well as
                  >the
                  >other 4 NN3 bodies
                  >

                  > >From: "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...>
                  > >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
                  > >Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:03:06 -0000
                  > >
                  > >The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
                  > >sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
                  > >and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
                  > >All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
                  > >Nelson. Jim

                  >Check out the coupons and bargains on MSN Offers! http://youroffers.msn.com

                  MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE!
                • blakehoo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 11 7:39 PM
                    There are several lots of original Nelson Gray on ebay right now!
                    Take a look

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Hayes" <ehayes24@h...>