RE: [z_scale] AZL

  • Robert Allbritton
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi Fred,

      Now you all know why AZL decided to go public on the F59Phi when they did:
      the ad was coming out in MR! Picture should be on the Ztrack site soon. Ask
      Rob Kluz! <grin>

      Best,
      -Rob

      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
        Fred,

        We posted a photo of the preproduction F59PHI on the Ztrack site tonight.
        Check out: www.ztrack.com. Enjoy!

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com

      • Tom Fisher
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
          I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's under
          the shell. Is it public yet?

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
            In a message dated 6/1/04 9:36:55 PM, tfisher10@... writes:

            > I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's under
            > the shell.  Is it public yet?

            The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It will have flywheels,
            directional lighting and comes DCC ready. The couplers are a hook type that can be
            replaced easily with Micro-Trains #905 couplers.

            For those who saw the ad in Model Railroader, it should be noted that the art
            is too scale.

            Rob Kluz

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
            www.ztrack.com

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
              > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
              > will have flywheels,
              > directional lighting and comes DCC ready.

              Hi Rob, are you able to say if this loco has the same
              speed than previous AZL stuff at a given output (ie,
              are these locos able to be MU with other AZL locos, or
              with FR F40s) ?
              Dominique

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Dominique,

                  I have not tested the locomotive yet. I have heard that it runs great. I
                  don't know how it compares to other AZL releases. I should have more information
                  in the upcoming weeks.

                  Rob Kluz

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  www.ztrack.com

                • Tom Fisher
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                    You probably can't tell us, but, if you can, are there
                    plans for other shells? A modern USA switcher
                    perhaps?

                    --- ztrack@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 6/1/04 9:36:55 PM,
                    > tfisher10@... writes:
                    >

                    > > I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's
                    > under
                    > > the shell.� Is it public yet?
                    > >

                    > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
                    > will have flywheels,
                    > directional lighting and comes DCC ready. The
                    > couplers are a hook type that can be
                    > replaced easily with Micro-Trains #905 couplers.
                    >
                    > For those who saw the ad in Model Railroader, it
                    > should be noted that the art
                    > is too scale.
                    >
                    > Rob Kluz
                    >

                    > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    > Dublin, OH 43016
                    > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    > www.ztrack.com

                    > removed]

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • Robert Allbritton
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                      Tom,

                      No hood units (including switchers) will be possible with this chassis due
                      to the size and width of the can motor used.

                      Best,
                      -Rob

                      --- ztrack@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 6/1/04 9:36:55 PM,
                      > tfisher10@... writes:
                      >

                      > > I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's
                      > under
                      > > the shell. Is it public yet?
                      > >

                      > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
                      > will have flywheels,
                      > directional lighting and comes DCC ready. The
                      > couplers are a hook type that can be
                      > replaced easily with Micro-Trains #905 couplers.
                      >
                      > For those who saw the ad in Model Railroader, it
                      > should be noted that the art
                      > is too scale.
                      >
                      > Rob Kluz
                      >

                      > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      > Dublin, OH 43016
                      > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                      > www.ztrack.com

                      > removed]

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com/

                    • bscaro
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                        No hood units (including switchers) will be possible with this
                        chassis due
                        > to the size and width of the can motor used.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        > -Rob

                        This is the problem with hood units generally in Z.

                        The only way around it cheaply is to put the motor in the cab, as
                        occurs with a couple of the Marklin diesels and electrics and of
                        course with steam locomotives.

                        I do not think this arrangement has been tried with hood units, but I
                        can foresee problems doing US hood units this way, as the position of
                        the CAB in US locos is normally towards one end, over the lead
                        truck, and this is where the motor would have to sit. So the motor
                        would be in the place where ordinarily, the gear tower for the front
                        truck would be.

                        One option might be to have a loco with a dummy front truck and a
                        powered rear truck ?

                        One interesting idea was an Nn3 'retrofit chassis' for the SP 'Little
                        Giant' 3' GE loco, that used the MT F7 motor and trucks, but oriented
                        the motor 90 degrees so that it fit into the hood. However, this was
                        an Nn3 loco and there was *barely* adequate room for it even in that
                        scale. So I do not think this idea could be used for a Z scale
                        chassis.

                        Best regards

                        Ben
                      • ztrack@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                          I can't comment in detail. I can say that AZL has set prototypes and runs of
                          new locomotives through 2006. These are going to be some incredible runs of
                          popular prototypes. Actual production time does depend highly on the current
                          release. In this case, much is depending on the F59PHI run. Regardless, good
                          things are coming!

                          Rob Kluz

                          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                          Dublin, OH 43016
                          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                          www.ztrack.com

                        • loren snyder
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                            > I can't comment in detail. I can say that AZL has set prototypes
                            and runs of
                            > new locomotives through 2006. These are going to be some
                            incredible runs of
                            > popular prototypes. Actual production time does depend highly on
                            the current
                            > release. In this case, much is depending on the F59PHI run.
                            Regardless, good
                            > things are coming!
                            > Rob Kluz
                            Well Rob, Do you remember when you were sick a couple of months ago
                            and someone almost, or actually did coax some info out of you
                            concerning AZL's new release?
                            Now that we know that YOU know what is coming in the future.....I
                            wouldn't answer your door after dark
                            or stay on the phone line too long for fear of a trace, cause the Z
                            Undercover Squad just may jump you some dark night and torture you
                            by covering you body with white glue and sprinkling you with ground
                            foam, or worse yet, lace your breakfast cereal with coupler springs
                            and make you chew thoroughly while they super glue your turnout
                            switches, until you fess up to what you know. It does sound very
                            exciting and promising even if the Z squad can't locate you. Oh by
                            the way, stay out of dark alleys after dark !!! We're watching
                            you !!!
                          • ztrack@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                              Well, I can say one thing. The official announcement of AZL's 2005 release
                              will be made at the National Train Show in Seattle this July. I would recommend
                              being there first hand to hear the announcement. The show is running July 9 -
                              11. Hans Riddervold, owner of AZL will be on hand to make the announcement.
                              See you at the show!

                              Rob Kluz

                              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                              Dublin, OH 43016
                              phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                              www.ztrack.com

                            • Vincent Goudreault
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 25, 2004
                                In the last issue of Ztrack, I note that AZL intends to release SD70 and
                                SD75
                                in the summer of 2005, with essentially the road names already covered for
                                the existing C44, SD45 and SD40; but with the (rejoice rejoice) addition of
                                the CNR ! (Holy freaking cow!)

                                A few months ago, AZL had re-released C44 with the UP winged herald
                                (since the UP Dash 9 were the first to be sold out, this is understandable)
                                but the production being limited to 32 makes me wonder: any chance that
                                the CNR could be the subject of a second batch of C44? And what about
                                the SD40? Any chance we could see more Canadian National colors on
                                the AZL locos?

                                CBVG
                              • ztrack@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 25, 2004
                                  In a message dated 9/25/04 11:27:28 AM, vgoudreault@... writes:

                                  > Any chance we could see more Canadian National colors on
                                  > the AZL locos?

                                  Good question. Yes, AZL is planning of offering the SD70 in CNR. As for the
                                  SD40-2s, there are no plans at this time to offer additional roadnames.
                                  Frankly, inventories are very low on the SD45s and SD40-2s so repaints may not be an
                                  option. I can't say what is going to happen after the SD70 run (very secret
                                  ... but definitely a must have). If the CNR units are popular, they roadname
                                  will definitely be considered for more body styles.

                                  The first Canadian release from AZL, the F59PHI West Coast Express set has
                                  been very popular. We have never had so many orders from Canada and our Canadian
                                  dealers have been very pleased. This is a good indicator. I can't wait to see
                                  how the SD70s go.

                                  As for the C44s, that I am not sure off. Again, AZL has stated that there
                                  will be no additional roadnames offered. We do have inventories of the ATSF, NS
                                  and UP winged heralds still available. It may be a situation that customers
                                  look for someone to do custom repaints. Last year, we ran an article on one
                                  gentleman who repainted C44s into CSX and Conrail units. They looked great!

                                  Rob Kluz

                                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                  Dublin, OH 43016
                                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                  www.ztrack.com

                                • Dawes
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 29, 2010
                                    Does anybody know what has happened with new road names for the AZL GP7
                                    and when we are going to see the RDC1 & 2 and the GP30 & GP38
                                    Dave
                                  • mark2playz
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                      Dave,
                                      Not to speak out of turn, but as I understand it, AZL contracts out much of the tooling and manufacture, so their schedules are at the mercy of others, half a world away. However, when they know they have a product ready, Rob at Ztrack does a good job of getting the word out.

                                      Mark

                                    • ztrack@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                        Dave,

                                        AZL has just posted an update on Trainboard. There is a 'possibility' that
                                        we will see the RDCs before the end of the year. AZL has also indicated we
                                        may see the 53' well cars by Christmas.

                                        The GP30 testing is still ongoing. AZL is reporting positive results with
                                        their latest GP30 samples. I would expect to see the GP38s next year, likely
                                        before the next run of GP7s.

                                        Rob

                                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                        www.ztrack.com
                                        www.ztrackcenter.com
                                        www.ztrackresale.com
                                        6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                        Dublin OH 43016
                                        (614) 764-1703

                                      • Loren Snyder
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                          Rob,
                                          A very interesting article in Z Track. A little history of sorts.

                                          It was about 1996 when I actually met John LaMere and Don Bouchard at
                                          Medford's Railroad Park. They were there one run day and one of them opened
                                          a box and showed me a rough frame and one wheel set on the proposed
                                          Challenger contrary to what the article says about no progress being made on
                                          the Challenger. I got real excited as to the prospect of something like
                                          that in Z, but then never heard anything more about the project except that
                                          Rogue eventually closed down.

                                          Now that I'm 'into it' pretty heavily I have great interest in what road
                                          names Hans will come out with after the initial SP and BN release.

                                          I'm hoping AZL will do the CORP livery since they use GP38s right here in
                                          Medford.

                                          Hans, if you are reading this, can you shed some light as to whether CORP
                                          will be released? It would sure save me having to strip some and start over

                                          Wishful thinking,