AZL

  • ahoy123123
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi all,
      Check out latest MR Magazine - July_ page 21. AZL has a line
      drawing of the gnieu F59phi's Neat double-decker passenger cars too.
      Hey Wobert, where's the pictcha's?
      unsigned-- FRED
    • Robert Allbritton
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
        Hi Fred,

        Now you all know why AZL decided to go public on the F59Phi when they did:
        the ad was coming out in MR! Picture should be on the Ztrack site soon. Ask
        Rob Kluz! <grin>

        Best,
        -Rob

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
          Fred,

          We posted a photo of the preproduction F59PHI on the Ztrack site tonight.
          Check out: www.ztrack.com. Enjoy!

          Rob Kluz

          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
          6142 Northcliff Blvd.
          Dublin, OH 43016
          phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
          www.ztrack.com

        • Tom Fisher
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 1, 2004
            I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's under
            the shell. Is it public yet?

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
              In a message dated 6/1/04 9:36:55 PM, tfisher10@... writes:

              > I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's under
              > the shell.  Is it public yet?

              The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It will have flywheels,
              directional lighting and comes DCC ready. The couplers are a hook type that can be
              replaced easily with Micro-Trains #905 couplers.

              For those who saw the ad in Model Railroader, it should be noted that the art
              is too scale.

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
              www.ztrack.com

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
                > will have flywheels,
                > directional lighting and comes DCC ready.

                Hi Rob, are you able to say if this loco has the same
                speed than previous AZL stuff at a given output (ie,
                are these locos able to be MU with other AZL locos, or
                with FR F40s) ?
                Dominique

              • de Champeaux Dominique
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                    Dominique,

                    I have not tested the locomotive yet. I have heard that it runs great. I
                    don't know how it compares to other AZL releases. I should have more information
                    in the upcoming weeks.

                    Rob Kluz

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    www.ztrack.com

                  • Tom Fisher
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                      You probably can't tell us, but, if you can, are there
                      plans for other shells? A modern USA switcher
                      perhaps?

                      --- ztrack@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 6/1/04 9:36:55 PM,
                      > tfisher10@... writes:
                      >

                      > > I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's
                      > under
                      > > the shell.� Is it public yet?
                      > >

                      > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
                      > will have flywheels,
                      > directional lighting and comes DCC ready. The
                      > couplers are a hook type that can be
                      > replaced easily with Micro-Trains #905 couplers.
                      >
                      > For those who saw the ad in Model Railroader, it
                      > should be noted that the art
                      > is too scale.
                      >
                      > Rob Kluz
                      >

                      > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                      > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                      > Dublin, OH 43016
                      > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                      > www.ztrack.com

                      > removed]

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                    • Robert Allbritton
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                        Tom,

                        No hood units (including switchers) will be possible with this chassis due
                        to the size and width of the can motor used.

                        Best,
                        -Rob

                        --- ztrack@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 6/1/04 9:36:55 PM,
                        > tfisher10@... writes:
                        >

                        > > I couldn't find anything on Ztrack about what's
                        > under
                        > > the shell. Is it public yet?
                        > >

                        > The F59PHIs are powered by a Mabuchi can motor. It
                        > will have flywheels,
                        > directional lighting and comes DCC ready. The
                        > couplers are a hook type that can be
                        > replaced easily with Micro-Trains #905 couplers.
                        >
                        > For those who saw the ad in Model Railroader, it
                        > should be noted that the art
                        > is too scale.
                        >
                        > Rob Kluz
                        >

                        > Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        > 6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        > Dublin, OH 43016
                        > phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        > www.ztrack.com

                        > removed]

                        http://messenger.yahoo.com/

                      • bscaro
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 2, 2004
                          No hood units (including switchers) will be possible with this
                          chassis due
                          > to the size and width of the can motor used.
                          >
                          > Best,
                          > -Rob

                          This is the problem with hood units generally in Z.

                          The only way around it cheaply is to put the motor in the cab, as
                          occurs with a couple of the Marklin diesels and electrics and of
                          course with steam locomotives.

                          I do not think this arrangement has been tried with hood units, but I
                          can foresee problems doing US hood units this way, as the position of
                          the CAB in US locos is normally towards one end, over the lead
                          truck, and this is where the motor would have to sit. So the motor
                          would be in the place where ordinarily, the gear tower for the front
                          truck would be.

                          One option might be to have a loco with a dummy front truck and a
                          powered rear truck ?

                          One interesting idea was an Nn3 'retrofit chassis' for the SP 'Little
                          Giant' 3' GE loco, that used the MT F7 motor and trucks, but oriented
                          the motor 90 degrees so that it fit into the hood. However, this was
                          an Nn3 loco and there was *barely* adequate room for it even in that
                          scale. So I do not think this idea could be used for a Z scale
                          chassis.

                          Best regards

                          Ben
                        • ztrack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                            I can't comment in detail. I can say that AZL has set prototypes and runs of
                            new locomotives through 2006. These are going to be some incredible runs of
                            popular prototypes. Actual production time does depend highly on the current
                            release. In this case, much is depending on the F59PHI run. Regardless, good
                            things are coming!

                            Rob Kluz

                            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                            Dublin, OH 43016
                            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                            www.ztrack.com

                          • loren snyder
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                              > I can't comment in detail. I can say that AZL has set prototypes
                              and runs of
                              > new locomotives through 2006. These are going to be some
                              incredible runs of
                              > popular prototypes. Actual production time does depend highly on
                              the current
                              > release. In this case, much is depending on the F59PHI run.
                              Regardless, good
                              > things are coming!
                              > Rob Kluz
                              Well Rob, Do you remember when you were sick a couple of months ago
                              and someone almost, or actually did coax some info out of you
                              concerning AZL's new release?
                              Now that we know that YOU know what is coming in the future.....I
                              wouldn't answer your door after dark
                              or stay on the phone line too long for fear of a trace, cause the Z
                              Undercover Squad just may jump you some dark night and torture you
                              by covering you body with white glue and sprinkling you with ground
                              foam, or worse yet, lace your breakfast cereal with coupler springs
                              and make you chew thoroughly while they super glue your turnout
                              switches, until you fess up to what you know. It does sound very
                              exciting and promising even if the Z squad can't locate you. Oh by
                              the way, stay out of dark alleys after dark !!! We're watching
                              you !!!
                            • ztrack@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 3, 2004
                                Well, I can say one thing. The official announcement of AZL's 2005 release
                                will be made at the National Train Show in Seattle this July. I would recommend
                                being there first hand to hear the announcement. The show is running July 9 -
                                11. Hans Riddervold, owner of AZL will be on hand to make the announcement.
                                See you at the show!

                                Rob Kluz

                                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                Dublin, OH 43016
                                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                www.ztrack.com

                              • Vincent Goudreault
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 25, 2004
                                  In the last issue of Ztrack, I note that AZL intends to release SD70 and
                                  SD75
                                  in the summer of 2005, with essentially the road names already covered for
                                  the existing C44, SD45 and SD40; but with the (rejoice rejoice) addition of
                                  the CNR ! (Holy freaking cow!)

                                  A few months ago, AZL had re-released C44 with the UP winged herald
                                  (since the UP Dash 9 were the first to be sold out, this is understandable)
                                  but the production being limited to 32 makes me wonder: any chance that
                                  the CNR could be the subject of a second batch of C44? And what about
                                  the SD40? Any chance we could see more Canadian National colors on
                                  the AZL locos?

                                  CBVG
                                • ztrack@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 25, 2004
                                    In a message dated 9/25/04 11:27:28 AM, vgoudreault@... writes:

                                    > Any chance we could see more Canadian National colors on
                                    > the AZL locos?

                                    Good question. Yes, AZL is planning of offering the SD70 in CNR. As for the
                                    SD40-2s, there are no plans at this time to offer additional roadnames.
                                    Frankly, inventories are very low on the SD45s and SD40-2s so repaints may not be an
                                    option. I can't say what is going to happen after the SD70 run (very secret
                                    ... but definitely a must have). If the CNR units are popular, they roadname
                                    will definitely be considered for more body styles.

                                    The first Canadian release from AZL, the F59PHI West Coast Express set has
                                    been very popular. We have never had so many orders from Canada and our Canadian
                                    dealers have been very pleased. This is a good indicator. I can't wait to see
                                    how the SD70s go.

                                    As for the C44s, that I am not sure off. Again, AZL has stated that there
                                    will be no additional roadnames offered. We do have inventories of the ATSF, NS
                                    and UP winged heralds still available. It may be a situation that customers
                                    look for someone to do custom repaints. Last year, we ran an article on one
                                    gentleman who repainted C44s into CSX and Conrail units. They looked great!

                                    Rob Kluz

                                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                                    Dublin, OH 43016
                                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                                    www.ztrack.com

                                  • Dawes
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 29, 2010
                                      Does anybody know what has happened with new road names for the AZL GP7
                                      and when we are going to see the RDC1 & 2 and the GP30 & GP38
                                      Dave
                                    • mark2playz
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                        Dave,
                                        Not to speak out of turn, but as I understand it, AZL contracts out much of the tooling and manufacture, so their schedules are at the mercy of others, half a world away. However, when they know they have a product ready, Rob at Ztrack does a good job of getting the word out.

                                        Mark

                                      • ztrack@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                          Dave,

                                          AZL has just posted an update on Trainboard. There is a 'possibility' that
                                          we will see the RDCs before the end of the year. AZL has also indicated we
                                          may see the 53' well cars by Christmas.

                                          The GP30 testing is still ongoing. AZL is reporting positive results with
                                          their latest GP30 samples. I would expect to see the GP38s next year, likely
                                          before the next run of GP7s.

                                          Rob

                                          Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                                          www.ztrack.com
                                          www.ztrackcenter.com
                                          www.ztrackresale.com
                                          6142 Northcliff Blvd
                                          Dublin OH 43016
                                          (614) 764-1703

                                        • Loren Snyder
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 30, 2010
                                            Rob,
                                            A very interesting article in Z Track. A little history of sorts.

                                            It was about 1996 when I actually met John LaMere and Don Bouchard at
                                            Medford's Railroad Park. They were there one run day and one of them opened
                                            a box and showed me a rough frame and one wheel set on the proposed
                                            Challenger contrary to what the article says about no progress being made on
                                            the Challenger. I got real excited as to the prospect of something like
                                            that in Z, but then never heard anything more about the project except that
                                            Rogue eventually closed down.

                                            Now that I'm 'into it' pretty heavily I have great interest in what road
                                            names Hans will come out with after the initial SP and BN release.

                                            I'm hoping AZL will do the CORP livery since they use GP38s right here in
                                            Medford.

                                            Hans, if you are reading this, can you shed some light as to whether CORP
                                            will be released? It would sure save me having to strip some and start over

                                            Wishful thinking,