Micro Trains F-7's

  • mktslsf
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hello,

      I'm familiar with the Marklin but not the MT F-7's. Could those of
      you who own them please give a review of their quality and
      performance. It looks like they've greatly expanded their line in
      the two years I've been away from the hobby.

      Thanks!
      Doug
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
        Doug:

        > I'm familiar with the Marklin but not the MT F-7's. Could those of
        > you who own them please give a review of their quality and
        > performance.

        Some basics about the F7's (which can be found in the group's archives over
        the years, too):

        Marklin: approx. .7 ounce
        MTL: approx. 2.8 ounce

        Marklin: pulls about 17 cars on the flat and level
        MTL: pulls about 60-75 cars on the flat and level

        Marklin gearing: worm gear
        MTL gearing: planetary gear prior to worm gear

        The higher gearing and the added weight is the prime reason for the
        additional pulling power of the MTL.

        Marklin Max Voltage: 8v (now they say 10v ??)
        MTL Max voltage: 10v

        Marklin: Some say better paint job
        MTL: Some say its just as good
        Moral: You'd better decide for yourself

        Marklin Cost, List: around $300
        MTL Cost, List: around $110

        Marklin: Several feet too short, not tall enough, trucks squeezed inward
        MTL: Close to true scale size and prototype features.

        Marklin: Live span (*) - infinite
        MTL: Life span (*) - infinite
        (*) if properly lubricated and maintained

        In spite of all these numbers....you need to buy what pleases you.

        Bill K.
        Houston

      • bscaro
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
          I think the Marklin F7 is basically designed to fit on a Euro
          chassis. Might be the 8839. So the trucks are too long, the fuel
          tank too short, and the bogie centres in too far under the
          locomotive.

          The pilot looks wrong too. The overall shape of the shell isn't too
          bad though.

          The Microtrains unit looks even better than a lot of N scale F units,
          particularly round the nose where they really seem to have gotten the
          shape correct.

          Cheers

          Ben

          > Marklin: Several feet too short, not tall enough, trucks squeezed
          inward
          > MTL: Close to true scale size and prototype features.
          >
          > Marklin: Live span (*) - infinite
          > MTL: Life span (*) - infinite
          > (*) if properly lubricated and maintained
          >
          > In spite of all these numbers....you need to buy what pleases you.
          >
          > Bill K.
          > Houston
        • Tom Fisher
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
            See this site for a nice comparison and for other
            goodies.

            http://www.armadillo.ch/Zscale/Infopool/ZIman_de.htm#Comparison%20/%20Vergleich%20Marklin%20F7%20vs.%20Micro%20Trains%20F7

            but this link for the site should work better

            http://tinyurl.com/3bsy8

            go to www.tinyurl.com for using tiny urls.

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/
          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
              --- mktslsf <dwb6871@...> a écrit : > Hello,

              > I'm familiar with the Marklin but not the MT F-7's.
              > Could those of
              > you who own them please give a review of their
              > quality and
              > performance. It looks like they've greatly expanded
              > their line in
              > the two years I've been away from the hobby.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Doug

              No idea about Marklin's F7 performance, but about MT
              F7:
              -shell detailing not matching present era hobby's
              standard (horns, handrails beeing in the same mold
              than the remaining of the shell - no grab irons on the
              nose - until recently no windows on the cab).

              but:

              -this loco is cheap ($100 or so)
              -it pulls like a mule (50 or so freight cars on
              straight flat track)
              -it has VERY GOOD low speed capacity (5 scale MPH or
              so)
              -to my eyes its shape is very more prototypical than
              its Marklin counterpart (Marklin F7's shell lies on a
              DB Class 110 electric's chassis).

              Hope this helps

              Dominique

            • Jim Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
                The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
                sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
                and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
                All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
                Nelson. Jim
              • dwb6871@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2004
                  Very good information!

                  Thanks!
                  Doug

                • Elizabeth Hayes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 4, 2004
                    I think that all of the Micro-Trains cars with operating doors, such as
                    stock car or 40&50 foot double door box cars, 40&50 ft single doors , etc
                    are Microtrains originals All of the others, without moving doors, except
                    for the 50 foot gondolas are Nelson Gray molds--40&50 ft plug doors, 50 ft
                    ribside, 40 ft gondola, tank car caboose, 4o ft wood sheathed as well as the
                    other 4 NN3 bodies

                    >From: "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...>
                    >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
                    >Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:03:06 -0000
                    >
                    >The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
                    >sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
                    >and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
                    >All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
                    >Nelson. Jim

                  • Elizabeth Hayes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 5, 2004
                      plus the two flat car bodies

                      >From: "Elizabeth Hayes" <ehayes24@...>
                      >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: RE: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
                      >Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 15:45:30 +0000
                      >
                      >I think that all of the Micro-Trains cars with operating doors, such as
                      >stock car or 40&50 foot double door box cars, 40&50 ft single doors , etc
                      >are Microtrains originals All of the others, without moving doors, except
                      >for the 50 foot gondolas are Nelson Gray molds--40&50 ft plug doors, 50 ft
                      >ribside, 40 ft gondola, tank car caboose, 4o ft wood sheathed as well as
                      >the
                      >other 4 NN3 bodies
                      >

                      > >From: "Jim Thomas" <jim29t@...>
                      > >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: [z_scale] Micro Trains F-7's and Nelson Gray
                      > >Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:03:06 -0000
                      > >
                      > >The Microtrains F7 is from the original molds by Nelson Gray. He
                      > >sold them to Microtrains. I beleive that the Gunderson stack cars
                      > >and the longer gondola's are the first car bodies by Microtrains.
                      > >All the rest were by Nelson Gray. I may be wrong, I will ask
                      > >Nelson. Jim

                      >Check out the coupons and bargains on MSN Offers! http://youroffers.msn.com

                      MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups � now 3 months FREE!
                    • blakehoo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2004
                        There are several lots of original Nelson Gray on ebay right now!
                        Take a look

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Hayes" <ehayes24@h...>