Re: [z_scale] Which of these two is better ??

  • bill.foote
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      I would suggest the continuously curved arrangement BUT not at the same
      radius throughout (let the radius vary a little - quite easy with
      flexi-track, in fact easier than laying to a rigid radius) - that way you
      will get a sensible compromise between realism and reliable running handling
      reasonable loads

      Bill Foote (http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
        Don:

        > On a 2%
        > curving grade, which of these would be better

        Don't forget that on ALL curves, one wheel will roll, the other wheel will
        slide. Same with 1:1 trains.

        In your calculations, be sure to add about a half percent drag factor to the
        "effective" grade on those curves, either way you decide to go.

        Then test your loco for train length on a temporary piece of straight track
        at a 2.5% grade to insure your expectations and the rules of physics match up
        well. <smile>

        Hope this thought helps,
        Bill K.
        Houston

      • Lajos Thek
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:

          > Don't forget that on ALL curves, one wheel
          > will roll, the other wheel will
          > slide. Same with 1:1 trains.

          Not so. The 1:1 trains have (not exactly, but close to)
          tapered profile. The reason, to avoid slippage in the
          turns. The inner wheel rolls on the smaller diameter, the
          outer wheel rolls on the -closer to the flange- larger
          diameter part of the wheel. High speed trains have "more
          flat" profile than trains running on smaller radius turns.
          The actual profile is very sophisticated, it compensates
          for the projected wear too.
          Lajos
        • d.f.avila@att.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
            This should get REALLY COMPLEX when you add super-elevation into the equation. Doubt my li' ol' Z-scale will get that far that adding super-el will make any tracton difference, but I did wonder if in Z-scale the single curve or two curve plus a straight made a difference. Obviously a grade that is steep enough shuts everything down, but being a newbie I wanted to know if adding a short straight helped at all if the radius started to become small. OTOH hand my 19" is a lot greater than a Marklin 5". So far the suggestions are just go for the full radius and forget the straight - except for asthetic purposes. I don't know why this is so, but I'm accepting it as 'fact'.

            I do thank you all the several responses.

            ...don

          • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
              a] a single curve of about 180 degrees; all on a 2% grade; and a
              single 19 inch radius.

              or

              b] two 15 inch curves on the same 2% grade with one 15 inch leading
              in and one 15 inch curve leading out plus about an 8 inch straight
              between the two curves.

              Go for the RADIUS!!!! The bigger the better.