Which of these two is better ??

  • zbarr474
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      I'm seriously setting out and glueing down my layout. On a 2%
      curving grade, which of these would be better or does it make any
      difference - from an operation standpoint or any other item I should
      consider. Looks as if I will be using MT flex-track.

      a] a single curve of about 180 degrees; all on a 2% grade; and a
      single 19 inch radius.

      or

      b] two 15 inch curves on the same 2% grade with one 15 inch leading
      in and one 15 inch curve leading out plus about an 8 inch straight
      between the two curves.

      All has to fit on a 4 foot wide base [overall 4 feet x 8 feet] and
      plenty of space between the track and edges of 4x8 foam base.

      Thanks for your advice.

      ...don
    • David George
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
        I believe the continuous single curve would allow the train sets to pull loads easier.
        The curves and straight might have more visual appeal however.
        ? is ,,do you want to pull real long trains or just just have fun?
        A straight track section makes it easier to add trackside structure also.
        David G

        zbarr474 <d.f.avila@...> wrote:
        I'm seriously setting out and glueing down my layout. On a 2%
        curving grade, which of these would be better or does it make any
        difference - from an operation standpoint or any other item I should
        consider. Looks as if I will be using MT flex-track.

        a] a single curve of about 180 degrees; all on a 2% grade; and a
        single 19 inch radius.

        or

        b] two 15 inch curves on the same 2% grade with one 15 inch leading
        in and one 15 inch curve leading out plus about an 8 inch straight
        between the two curves.

        All has to fit on a 4 foot wide base [overall 4 feet x 8 feet] and
        plenty of space between the track and edges of 4x8 foam base.

        Thanks for your advice.

        ...don

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • bill.foote
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
          I would suggest the continuously curved arrangement BUT not at the same
          radius throughout (let the radius vary a little - quite easy with
          flexi-track, in fact easier than laying to a rigid radius) - that way you
          will get a sensible compromise between realism and reliable running handling
          reasonable loads

          Bill Foote (http://freespace.virgin.net/bill.foote)

        • zbendtrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
            Don:

            > On a 2%
            > curving grade, which of these would be better

            Don't forget that on ALL curves, one wheel will roll, the other wheel will
            slide. Same with 1:1 trains.

            In your calculations, be sure to add about a half percent drag factor to the
            "effective" grade on those curves, either way you decide to go.

            Then test your loco for train length on a temporary piece of straight track
            at a 2.5% grade to insure your expectations and the rules of physics match up
            well. <smile>

            Hope this thought helps,
            Bill K.
            Houston

          • Lajos Thek
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, zbendtrack@a... wrote:

              > Don't forget that on ALL curves, one wheel
              > will roll, the other wheel will
              > slide. Same with 1:1 trains.

              Not so. The 1:1 trains have (not exactly, but close to)
              tapered profile. The reason, to avoid slippage in the
              turns. The inner wheel rolls on the smaller diameter, the
              outer wheel rolls on the -closer to the flange- larger
              diameter part of the wheel. High speed trains have "more
              flat" profile than trains running on smaller radius turns.
              The actual profile is very sophisticated, it compensates
              for the projected wear too.
              Lajos
            • d.f.avila@att.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
                This should get REALLY COMPLEX when you add super-elevation into the equation. Doubt my li' ol' Z-scale will get that far that adding super-el will make any tracton difference, but I did wonder if in Z-scale the single curve or two curve plus a straight made a difference. Obviously a grade that is steep enough shuts everything down, but being a newbie I wanted to know if adding a short straight helped at all if the radius started to become small. OTOH hand my 19" is a lot greater than a Marklin 5". So far the suggestions are just go for the full radius and forget the straight - except for asthetic purposes. I don't know why this is so, but I'm accepting it as 'fact'.

                I do thank you all the several responses.

                ...don

              • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
                  a] a single curve of about 180 degrees; all on a 2% grade; and a
                  single 19 inch radius.

                  or

                  b] two 15 inch curves on the same 2% grade with one 15 inch leading
                  in and one 15 inch curve leading out plus about an 8 inch straight
                  between the two curves.

                  Go for the RADIUS!!!! The bigger the better.