hi group

  • jce223
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2004
      new to "z" and this group. i'd been collecting train for 20some years
      and today i made my 1st z purchase (i think). i purchased a marklin
      southern pacific mikado. i need some help before i actually purchase
      it. i did some homework and it came from a set. all of them i've seen
      have a 5 pole motor, the one i'm looking at has a 3 pole motor. did
      it come from the factory both ways? does anyone know and can shed
      some light on this subject for me. what is the big difference in the
      different motors. thanks joe endicott
    • Larry Card
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2004
        >it. i did some homework and it came from a set. all of them i've seen
        >have a 5 pole motor, the one i'm looking at has a 3 pole motor. did
        >it come from the factory both ways? does anyone know and can shed
        >some light on this subject for me. what is the big difference in the
        >different motors.

        Yes they came both ways, the 3 pole motor is an older design. The 5 pole is
        available for the Mikado and it's a simple swap, the motors can be had from
        Republic Locomotive Works (email Marshall Thompson at rlw87@...
        because I don't think they are listed on the site) for $35 + $6.50 S&H if
        you can't find them cheaper anywhere else. The big difference is in low
        speed performance, the 5 pole starts smoother at a lower starting voltage
        and doesn't "cog" (move jerkily) at low speeds. On the flip side, the 5
        pole is much less tolerant of abuse; it will burn up much quicker than the 3
        pole if you are using pulse power for starts or aren't using a Marklin, MT,
        or otherwise modified 8 volt powerpack.
        I just remotored my Mikado chassis and am very pleased with the results. If
        a 3 pole is available at a good price, go ahead and get it and plan for a
        remotoring job later on down the road.
        V/R
        Larry P. Card
        Virginia Beach, VA

      • ted_lamar@peoplesoft.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 14, 2004
          new to "z" and this group. i'd been collecting train for 20some years
          and today i made my 1st z purchase (i think). i purchased a marklin
          southern pacific mikado. i need some help before i actually purchase
          it. i did some homework and it came from a set. all of them i've seen
          have a 5 pole motor, the one i'm looking at has a 3 pole motor. did
          it come from the factory both ways? does anyone know and can shed
          some light on this subject for me. what is the big difference in the
          different motors. thanks joe endicott

          I haven't seen a response to your question....sorry if I missed it, I've
          been away.

          I only know of the 5 pole SP mikado. It was a new item this year,
          available only in that starter set you mention. The super USA set with two
          trains.

          The five poles are the way to go, they run more smoothly, and they are the
          current moter in production.