Coupler Question

  • mktslsf
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2004
      Hello!

      I seem to recall reading about the Micro Trains Marklin style
      couplers being inferior to the regular Marklin couplers and not
      working well. Since I can't find the archived posts regarding this
      topic, could you please refresh my memory?

      Regards!
      Doug
    • zbendtrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2004
        Doug:

        > I seem to recall reading about the Micro Trains Marklin style
        > couplers being inferior to the regular Marklin couplers and not
        > working well. Since I can't find the archived posts regarding this
        > topic, could you please refresh my memory?

        Go here:
        http://www.zscale.org/articles/couplers.html
        for one of the better articles on the topic. Be sure to "click" on the
        photos, they all blow up to a larger size.

        Hope this helps,
        Bill K.
        Houston

      • Ralph Scott
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2004
          Have you considered the Joerger System . It has the advantages of a Marklin coupler and the advantages of magnetic uncoupling.
          If you are using US prototupe then stick with MT and do not operate with tight curves or sudden changes in track elevation.
          Ralph
          I seem to recall reading about the Micro Trains Marklin style
          couplers being inferior to the regular Marklin couplers and not
          working well. Since I can't find the archived posts regarding this
          topic, could you please refresh my memory?

          Regards!
          Doug

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 14, 2013
            I am basically an HO guy, but I just received a really neat Z layout in a table. The two locomotives that came with it will not move when I give them power. I checked the track with my multimeter and there was power.

            The layout and the trains model a German village. The train is Marklin, with their standard claw type of couplers. I don't know how to fix the locomotives, so I just may have to get new locomotives. Does anyone else use the Marklin type of couplers? Does anyone make a car that has the claw on one end and the knuckle coupler on the other end?

            Thanks,

            Paul
            New Guy Here

            Live Simply, Laugh Often
          • Larry Card
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 14, 2013
              The locomotives very likely suffer from hardened oil syndrome, as you might guess it's a common problem. There are people who will fix that for you without charging you one each of the extremities you usually have two of.

              MicroTrains (KayDee's little brother) makes couplers that should go right in, kind of fiddly because they're so small but they work well enough. I don't know of anyone who makes a conversion car, but then again I'm not a Z expert by any means.

              V/R
              Larry P. Card
              Franklinton NC
                 _________
              ./__________\.
              (]]]___o___[[[)
              |\_o______o_/|
              |__|..........|__|

              To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013
                Paul,

                Welcome to the group!

                Larry is right on. We call this HOS. HOS stands for 'hardened oil syndrome'. For a period of time, Marklin used an oil that hardened which binds the gears. It does not permanently damage the locomotives, but the locos will not run, or be very sluggish if they have this syndrome. To correct the issue, the old oil will need to be cleaned out, the locos re-oiled.

                The site http://www.zscale.org/articles/revival.html has informative articles on cleaning and servicing Marklin locomotives. Some locomotives can be brought back to life quite easily.

                There are also folks who will do the service for you. The Stiskas in Florida are the leaders in this kind of care.

                As for conversion cars, many folks purchase a Micro-Trains car with the MTL couplers. MTL offers Marklin style couplers, and they swap out one end of the car with the Marklin style. I do the same with a caboose so I can mix and match cars across a whole train.

                Rob

                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                Distributor American Z Line
                Authorized MTL, Full Throttle, Rokuhan
                InterMountain and Tenshodo dealer
                6142 Northcliff Blvd
                Dublin OH 43016
                (614) 764-1703

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013
                  Thank you everybody for all of this good information. Rob, how can I contact "The Stiskas"?

                  Thanks,

                  Paul

                  Live Simply, Laugh Often

                • jim29t

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013
                      Paul,

                      Glenn and Sandy's address......

                      1045 Porter Drive
                      Largo, Florida 33771

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013

                        Glenn and Sandy are amazing individuals who are experts on this. More importantly they are trustworthy and dependable.  Their email address is:

                        stiska@...

                        Thanks. Scott

                        Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

                        Thank you everybody for all of this good information. Rob, how can I contact "The Stiskas"?

                        Thanks,

                        Paul

                        Live Simply, Laugh Often

                      • Malcolm Kent Cleaveland
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 15, 2013
                          Paul,

                            Conversion of a bunch of cars could be pretty tedious.  I believe that Zscalemonster.com has conversion cars (one end Micro-Trains coupler, one end Marklin compatible) for sale.

                          CheerZ,
                            -- Malcolm Z