Number of tracks for turntable?

  • mdgolfbum
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30 5:38 PM
      I'm trying to figure out how many tracks to design my indexer to
      accomodate. Right now I've got it spec'd at 16 tracks. Theoretically
      a 6" diameter table could accomodate 30+ tracks but that seems like
      an insane number.

      What's the largest number of tracks anyone has seen accomodated by a
      turntable?

      thanks

      jim miller
    • Robert Ray
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30 7:06 PM
        Some roundhouses had lots of stalls. For most modelers, me included,
        16 stalls is good enough.

        Look at these roundhouse pics for reference:

        http://www.trainweb.org/randysrr/urr/urr_2.jpg

        http://www.rypn.org/Editorials/redondo/Sbshops7.jpg

        Here is an ariel shot of a 180 degree roundhouse that has about 20
        stalls:
        http://nutrias.org/~nopl/exhibits/choochoo/oversize2.jpg

        -Robert
      • mdgolfbum
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30 7:31 PM
          Hi Robert

          Thanks for the references. I think I'll go ahead and increase the
          number of served tracks. Right now it's set at 16 which includes
          roundhouse and approach (right word?) tracks. In addition I need to
          steal one "track number" to enable a soft reset from a throttle. This
          will allow the user to send the table to the home position in case
          something causes the indexer to stall and slip counts, e.g. a
          derailment. This would allow the TT to start over without having to
          reset the whole layout.

          I might be able to go up to 31 plus the "home" track.

          thanks again

          jtm
        • John Duino
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30 9:53 PM
            Well, my most recent find was the Spencer Locomotive Works of The
            Southern Railway in North Carolina, and the roundhouse there has 37 bays
            built around a 100 foot turntable. I think there were 15-20 different
            approach tracks (I don't have any clear photos to confirm that).

            Some photos from my trip Dec 2003:
            http://photos.aerohead.com/SpencerLocWorks

            The official web site:
            http://www.ci.salisbury.nc.us/nctrans

            --
            John Duino <jduino@...>
            AeroHead Designs
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31 11:04 AM
              > What's the largest number of tracks anyone has seen accomodated by a
              > turntable?

              Good question!

              I have a book at home, German text, title is (roughtly) "The last steam
              engines in Germ. The tracks are so close together that there are
              turnout/switch style 'frogs' near the turntable where the tracks
              actually overlap each other before the turntable! The track from the
              roundhouse door to the turntable pit is long enough that the doors can
              close with an engine sitting in front of the doors but NOT on the
              turntable. There are wood planks between the tracks at the 'frogs',
              similar to a wooden railroad street crossing, presumably to permit
              workers to walk around the turntable without having to step over so many
              rails (probably to help keep snow out of that area as well.

              I'm sure others will report on 360 deg. turntables that have appeared
              over time. I don't know how many tracks that German turntable
              accomodated but if you overlap tracks, you sure could put a LOT of track
              down! Wouldn't that be a challenge in Z-scale! ;)

              Joe