Re: [z_scale] Re: 4-11-11-11-11-9-6 switcher Mallet

  • Bill Hoshiko
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2000
      Reynard Wellman wrote:

      > Well I've done it again.

      Ya - You've done it all right!

      Now I have to look for a 4-11-11-11-11-9-6 compound, articulated,
      cantenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher.

      Next you will be telling me that it's one of those with the outside
      flanged drivers and the center driver on the middle third rail
      (sometimes erroneously called a tinplate train) operated with a Leonardo
      De Capriano poppet drive.

      If you'll hold your breath for a few minutes I will find that too!

      Bill
      El Toro
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2000
        Reynard,

        All I could find for Z-scale was a 4-10-10-10-10-6 compound, articulated,
        catenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher. Will this do?
        http://www.egroups.com/files/z_scale/Pictures/4-10-10-10-10-6.jpg

        -David

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2000
          Hello David,
          I see you found the short one and it uses coal instead of wood.
          Not what I had in mind, but close. The short one uses a turning
          radius of only 132 feet and I've leased an empty Walmart so I can build
          a layout with a minimum radius of 145 feet.

          I have a lot of toothpicks around here, due to building up all those
          little brass structures. Most of these toothpicks are heavily coated with CA
          glue. After I convert your 4-10-10-10-10-6 to live steam, will these toothpicks
          emit toxic fumes? I don't want the EPA or OSHA on my back.

          Also for the third rail, will I have to scratch build the pickup shoes projecting out
          the sides of this loco? Adding a third rail is easy;  I'll just cut some flex track
          in half down the middle and glue it down next to my regular track. What do
          third rail turnouts look like, especially with that gear running down the middle
          of the track when the loco goes into mountain climbing mode?

          Reynard de Alter

          "D. A. Karp" wrote:

          Reynard,

          All I could find for Z-scale was a 4-10-10-10-10-6 compound, articulated,
          catenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher.  Will this do?
                http://www.egroups.com/files/z_scale/Pictures/4-10-10-10-10-6.jpg

          -David

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/

          "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

        • Bill Hoshiko
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2000
            "D. A. Karp" wrote:

            > Reynard,
            >
            > All I could find for Z-scale was a 4-10-10-10-10-6 compound,
            > articulated,
            > catenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher. Will this
            > do?
            >
            > http://www.egroups.com/files/z_scale/Pictures/4-10-10-10-10-6.jpg
            >
            > -David

            WOW! I was looking on the wrong continent.

            How come, with all our American ingenuity, we couldn't come up with one
            of these.

            I guess that the UP or the Pennsy, two of the more innovative American
            railroads, just didn't feel the need for one.

            Bill
            El Toro
          • M. Gottschalch
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2000
              D. A. Karp wrote:

              > Reynard,
              >
              > All I could find for Z-scale was a 4-10-10-10-10-6 compound, articulated,
              > catenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher. Will this do?
              > http://www.egroups.com/files/z_scale/Pictures/4-10-10-10-10-6.jpg

              I want one of those! It should be able to make itself heard with the 8
              whistles on it. I hope it comes with the accordian pleated boiler
              connections, otherwise I have some doubts as to its cornering abilities.
              --
              Manfred