Re: [z_scale] Re: 4-11-11-11-11-9-6 switcher Mallet

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2000
      Well I've done it again. Managed to start a riot of emails some of which
      truly have me rolling on the floor laughing. The key to this gag is the
      "funicular switcher". Since these things seem to run at about 20° - 45° up the
      sides of mountains, can you imagine what a turnout for this beast would
      look like? None-the-less, using those angles try to imagine a "hump yard"
      for making up freight trains would be like!

      Alter-Rey

      Bill Hoshiko wrote:

      > Hello All,
      > I'm holding out for a Z scale 4-9-9-9-6 compound articulated funicular
      > switcher
      > mallet with catenary or third rail pickup.
      >

      > regards,
      > Alter-Rey

      Alter-Rey,

      I'm searching through my years of railroad magazines for a picture of
      one of these monsters.

      I first tried the Duluth Missabe and Iron Mountain Railway (DM&IR) for
      they had massive switchers to switch the heavy taconite iron ore.  I
      found an 0-10-0 switcher.  They also had some 0-10-2 switchers that they
      got from the Union Railroad in Pittsburgh.  They had the "Yellowstone"
      2-8-8-4 articulated, but it was a road engine and not a switcher.  I
      don't know where any larger switchers were ever used.

      Then the use of cantenary led me to search the Virginian Railway who
      also used very large locomotives to move vast amounts of coal through
      the Allegheny Mountains.  Didn't find it there either.

      The Burlington had some large electric locomotives under cantenary  but
      I don't recall any super large switchers.  They did have a lot of lumber
      for the wood burners.

      In the Rocky Mountains around Colorado they used those teeny tiney
      locomotives that the narrow minded people find so cute.  No super large
      switchers there either.

      I Looked at the railroads around New York and Philadelphia for railroads
      that used third rail but then realized that that country was not
      mountainous enough for a funicular, let alone a funicular switcher.
      (Mt Washington has a funicular but it is not articulated nor is it a
      compound)

      I will keep looking though.  Maybe one of you accross the pond or in the
      land of Oz can locate one.  Maybe there is one in the Mountains of
      Africa where those funny looking locomotive with two tenders and a
      boiler hanging in mid air operate.

      If one is made for Z scale, what would be the minimum radius that you
      would expect this monster to negotiate.

      Bill
      El Toro
      (sorry to all of you who insist on only serious postings, but I just
      couldn't resist)

      "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE!  Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!

    • Bill Hoshiko
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2000
        Reynard Wellman wrote:

        > Well I've done it again.

        Ya - You've done it all right!

        Now I have to look for a 4-11-11-11-11-9-6 compound, articulated,
        cantenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher.

        Next you will be telling me that it's one of those with the outside
        flanged drivers and the center driver on the middle third rail
        (sometimes erroneously called a tinplate train) operated with a Leonardo
        De Capriano poppet drive.

        If you'll hold your breath for a few minutes I will find that too!

        Bill
        El Toro
      • D. A. Karp
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2000
          Reynard,

          All I could find for Z-scale was a 4-10-10-10-10-6 compound, articulated,
          catenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher. Will this do?
          http://www.egroups.com/files/z_scale/Pictures/4-10-10-10-10-6.jpg

          -David

          http://www.creativelement.com/z/
        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2000
            Hello David,
            I see you found the short one and it uses coal instead of wood.
            Not what I had in mind, but close. The short one uses a turning
            radius of only 132 feet and I've leased an empty Walmart so I can build
            a layout with a minimum radius of 145 feet.

            I have a lot of toothpicks around here, due to building up all those
            little brass structures. Most of these toothpicks are heavily coated with CA
            glue. After I convert your 4-10-10-10-10-6 to live steam, will these toothpicks
            emit toxic fumes? I don't want the EPA or OSHA on my back.

            Also for the third rail, will I have to scratch build the pickup shoes projecting out
            the sides of this loco? Adding a third rail is easy;  I'll just cut some flex track
            in half down the middle and glue it down next to my regular track. What do
            third rail turnouts look like, especially with that gear running down the middle
            of the track when the loco goes into mountain climbing mode?

            Reynard de Alter

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2000
              "D. A. Karp" wrote:

              > Reynard,
              >
              > All I could find for Z-scale was a 4-10-10-10-10-6 compound,
              > articulated,
              > catenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher. Will this
              > do?
              >
              > http://www.egroups.com/files/z_scale/Pictures/4-10-10-10-10-6.jpg
              >
              > -David

              WOW! I was looking on the wrong continent.

              How come, with all our American ingenuity, we couldn't come up with one
              of these.

              I guess that the UP or the Pennsy, two of the more innovative American
              railroads, just didn't feel the need for one.

              Bill
              El Toro
            • M. Gottschalch
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 6, 2000
                D. A. Karp wrote:

                > Reynard,
                >
                > All I could find for Z-scale was a 4-10-10-10-10-6 compound, articulated,
                > catenary and third rail operated funicular Mallet switcher. Will this do?
                > http://www.egroups.com/files/z_scale/Pictures/4-10-10-10-10-6.jpg

                I want one of those! It should be able to make itself heard with the 8
                whistles on it. I hope it comes with the accordian pleated boiler
                connections, otherwise I have some doubts as to its cornering abilities.
                --
                Manfred