Re: [z_scale] Re: Mallets - one more time again

  • bjkronen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2000
      Michael:

      > Anatole Mallet was the first one who used the application of compounding
      in
      > a locomotive for the Bayonne-Biarritz railway in France.The loco was a
      2-cyl.
      > 0-4-2 tank locomotive, built in 1876.
      >
      > This was the first compound locomotive,this was NOT what was later called
      > "Mallet" locomotive.As many good ME's,Mallet made more than one technical
      > development in his life.And what made him famous,the so-called
      > "Mallet"-locomotive,to repeat it here again,was an ARTICULATED COMPOUND
      > LOCOMOTIVE.

      Leave it to someone on the "far" side of the "pond" to correctly set us
      straight on "this side" of the pond. You did well.

      For your after-dinner entertainment, more than you ever wanted to know about
      Mallet Articulated Compound Locomotives:

      Article by Balwin Locomotive Works, written in 1912
      with EXCELLENT illustrations
      http://www.railroadextra.com/blwmal00.Html

      A list of articles written between 1900 and 1929 on Mallet Locos:

      http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=9689214&pid=r&mode=ALL&query=mallet

      In fact, in searching for the "truth" I ran into a wonderful website with
      loads of information, all published from 1860 thru 1935, all searchable,
      heavily illustrated:

      http://www.railroadextra.com/Page0002.Html

      Enjoy. Now all I need is one of these beasts in Z scale. <smile>

      Bill Kronenberger
      Houston
    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 6, 2000
        Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... wrote:

        > 'Amtrak Acela', is this a real new development? My information on Amerikan locos
        > ends with 1998, sorry. So, any info?

        Yes this is an actual loco. Can be seen at
        http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/amtrak/

        --
        Manfred