Re: [z_scale] Re: Mallets - one more time again

  • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2000
      Dear Bill,

      if I read your e-mail right, a Mallet, in your oppinion, is special because it
      is using the steam twice. In my oppinion, reading the encyclopaedy, a mallet is
      special because of its split mechanism. The main purpose of this split mechanism
      was, to cope with very narrow curves.
      This may cause some misunderstanding, right?

      Regards

      Dieter

      bjkronen@... schrieb:
      > Dieter:
      >
      > > has somebody ever tried to find out what 'Mallets' really means?
      > > I think, that there are different opinions on the meaning of 'Mallet'
      > > at both sides of the pond, are they?
      >
      > Perhaps. But I think both the left side and the right side of the big pond
      > would agree that "Mallet" locomotives uniquely use the steam twice (see
      > previous excellent post on this topic) in two different sized cylinders.
      > The smaller high pressure cylinder gets the high pressure steam directly from
      > the boiler, and when exhausted it goes to massive (in size) low pressure
      > cylinders (normally found on the front set of turnable drivers).
      >
      > "Articulated" over here is commonly associated with a locomotive which feeds
      > high pressure steam to ALL cylinders on the locomotive, no matter where they
      > are, or how many there may be, or even which driver/cylinders can rotate
      > relative to the boiler.
      >
      > Holiday Greetings,
      > Bill Kronenberger
      > Houston

      Dieter W. Nolte
      E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 6, 2000
        Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... wrote:

        > 'Amtrak Acela', is this a real new development? My information on Amerikan locos
        > ends with 1998, sorry. So, any info?

        Yes this is an actual loco. Can be seen at
        http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/amtrak/

        --
        Manfred