Re: [z_scale] Mallets - ome more time attn Bahl - slider.jpg

  • Ole Rosted
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2000
      On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:06:24 +0100, you wrote:

      Hi Michael,

      >"compound" means that the steam expansion does take place in more than one
      >cylinder.In ships you find triple or quadruple expansion steam
      >engines;compound locomotives usually have double expansion;i.e.the steam works
      >in two cylinders.

      [snip a very interesting description]

      Thank you for your excellent description of something I never
      understood before. Or even knew the name of.

      The attached pic of a steam cylinder is NOT a compound then? Right?
      The small "cylinder" is there to only to lead the steam to the right
      side of the piston? In a compound there would be an extra cylinder for
      the first expansion?

      >Hope,I didn't "over-answer" again...

      You didn't! It was very interesting reading!

      regards Ole
    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 6, 2000
        Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... wrote:

        > 'Amtrak Acela', is this a real new development? My information on Amerikan locos
        > ends with 1998, sorry. So, any info?

        Yes this is an actual loco. Can be seen at
        http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/amtrak/

        --
        Manfred