Re: [z_scale] Re: Mallets - one more time again

  • Bahls@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 3, 2000
      Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... schrieb:
      > Dear list,
      >
      > has somebody ever tried to find out what 'Mallets' really means? I think,
      > that
      > there are different oppinions on the meaning of 'Mallet' at both sides of the
      > pond, are they?
      > I looked up in the 'Lexikon der Modelleisenbahn' (Encyclopedia of model
      > railroading) of the 'transpress-publishing house' and found the following
      > driving
      > mechanism. At the 'Mallet-drive, one driving mechanism is mounted at the main
      > fraim and the other driving mechanism is mounted on a separate truck.
      > Does this clearifies the problem?
      > In this group are falling also the following drives: Meyer and Garrat.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Dieter

      Dieter,
      With a small but important point to add: A Mallet locomotive is a compound
      articulated locomotive with the low-pressure cylinders on the front swiveling
      frame,whereas the rear frame is fixed to the boiler.

      E.g.,the Big Boy is only an "articulated" locomotive;if Chapelon would have got
      the chance to rebuild it to compounding,it would have become a "Mallet".

      The Meyers and Garratts you refer to both have two swiveling frames,whereas the
      boiler is mounted on a main frame.On the Garratt, the containments for water and
      coal are mounted on the swiveling frames as well;thus giving more space on the
      main frame for a large boiler.

      So if someone would do great improvements on any 2-truck diesel or electric
      vehicle by converting it to STEAM,but keeping the frame configuration,you would
      get a Meyer.

      Cheers,
      Michael
    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 6, 2000
        Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... wrote:

        > 'Amtrak Acela', is this a real new development? My information on Amerikan locos
        > ends with 1998, sorry. So, any info?

        Yes this is an actual loco. Can be seen at
        http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/amtrak/

        --
        Manfred