Re: [z_scale] Re: Mallets - one more time again

  • Nelson Snedeker
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2000
      Dieter: Mallet (Mal-lay) is the name of the man who designed the first articulated
      configuration and so all subsequent articulated Locomotives are Mallets no matter
      the particular name they carry or whether compound or not.

      Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... wrote:

      > Dear list,
      >
      > has somebody ever tried to find out what 'Mallets' really means? I think, that
      > there are different oppinions on the meaning of 'Mallet' at both sides of the
      > pond, are they?
      > I looked up in the 'Lexikon der Modelleisenbahn' (Encyclopedia of model
      > railroading) of the 'transpress-publishing house' and found the following
      > mechanism. At the 'Mallet-drive, one driving mechanism is mounted at the main
      > fraim and the other driving mechanism is mounted on a separate truck.
      > Does this clearifies the problem?
      > In this group are falling also the following drives: Meyer and Garrat.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Dieter
      >
      > Jeffrey MacHan schrieb:
      > > I thought you might like this one...
      > > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/6872/img/v
      > > gn__x-a__1.jpg
      > >
      > > Virginian 2-8-8-8-4
      > >
      > > Now we have a prototype where we can use all our left over 2-8-2
      > > chassis. ;-)
      > >
      > > Cheers again,
      > > Jeffrey
      > >

      > > "Z" WARNING! HANDLE WITH CARE! Highly addictive in Small DoseZ!
      > >

      > Dieter W. Nolte
      > E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...

    • M. Gottschalch
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 6, 2000
        Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... wrote:

        > 'Amtrak Acela', is this a real new development? My information on Amerikan locos
        > ends with 1998, sorry. So, any info?

        Yes this is an actual loco. Can be seen at
        http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/amtrak/

        --
        Manfred